Proposed Rule Changes - Page 2 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Proposed Rule Changes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
451 replies to this topic

Poll: Proposed Rule Changes (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What say ye SEC brethren?

1. Noble idea, good for the game (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Pure garbage, hurts the game (10 votes [76.92%])

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
1. Should've been part of the rule in the first place

2. Dumb. This is just the next step in the evolution of football. Defenses adapted to the wishbone, the I formation, and eventually it'll adapt to the HUNH.

Although I agree about the prairie dog OL. Should be a false start penalty every time. If they're set they're set. I often wonder what the refs would call if the DL would jump in when the OL does that.

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Well I like both naturally.

I don't think the 2nd one will go through, and lol @ Saban comments. :trollface:

Posted Image

Brah

Brah
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

LEGENDARY

Posted Image
Formerly known as T-Bone

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMatt, on 12 February 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

The second one is dumb.  Defenses need to adapt to HUNH by building stamina.  I think that will also help limit the out of control size the players are becoming.  If a 350 lb NT can't stay on field because the other team is running the whole game that is his problem.  This would be like if the NCAA banned the press for men's basketball after the "40 mins of hell."

I don't want this rule to change but....Why do you think OL play the whole game and pretty much every team at every level have a rotation of about 12 DL? Or why recievers play every snap but CB are rotated?

The size of the players isn't the advantage the offense has the advantage by knowing what they're doing, where they're going, etc.

Edited by RammaJamma, 13 February 2014 - 04:00 AM.

"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
All I know of Saban complaining about is actually true. Most teams that don't run a HUNH run about 45-55 offensive plays a game whereas teams that do run it are shooting for 85-90 offensive plays.

That's an avg. of 25-35 more offensive plays a game... through a ten game season that's like playing 3-4 more games. So its only reasonable that there will be more injuries and players would be more tired.

I don't have a problem with it.... I think its chicken Posted Image but if that's what you gotta do.. I just think they should do away with the prairie dogging when the offense sets that's it any move from there is a false start.

The prairie dogging has taken part of the game away...the qb doesn't have anything on his shoulders he doesn't have to know anything anymore. The coaches on the sidelines are reading the defense.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

LEGENDARY

When you take a look at the players that you recruit to combat this style of play it's pretty obvious who doesn't want basketball players playing football.  I don't think the NFL wants elite college teams to churn out 245 lb defensive ends and 295 lb nose tackles.

http://regressing.de...y-po-1445608274
Posted Image

Look at this guy brutally injured during HUNH play.  What if Arkansas had snapped the ball a few seconds earlier and this guy had collapsed during the next play.  It's just not safe homies.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Cost us 2 fuqing games last year because of the 15 yard penalty standng. Change it or else.

Posted ImagePosted Image

GAMECOCK_FAN

GAMECOCK_FAN
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 13 February 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

Cost us 2 fuqing games last year because of the 15 yard penalty standng. Change it or else.
Agree.  I know we had two occurrences (that I remember specifically watching) where a player was flagged for targeting and ejected, only to have the play reviewed and the ejection overturned.  If it can be reviewed and the ejection overturned, it only makes sense that the flag be picked up and no penalty incurred.  Makes no sense the way it works now.

As long as the 2-minute drill is safe (as it seems it will be), I have no problem with the other rule change either.

Edited by GAMECOCK_FAN, 13 February 2014 - 08:27 AM.

2014 Baseball (28-10, 8-8)
4/19/14-4/20/14 at Auburn; 4/22/14 Davidson; 4/23/14 USC Upstate; 4/25/14-4/27/14 Alabama; 5/2/14-5/4/14 at Georgia; 5/7/14 Wofford; 5/9/14-5/11/14 Missouri; 5/13/14 The Citadel; 5/15/14-5/17/14 at Vanderbilt

2014 Football (0-0, 0-0)
8/28/14 Texas A&M; 9/6/14 East Carolina; 9/13/14 Georgia; 9/20/14 at Vanderbilt; 9/27/14 Missouri; 10/4/14 at Kentucky; 10/18/14 Furman; 10/25/14 at Auburn; 11/1/14 Tennessee; 11/15/14 at Florida; 11/22/14 South Alabama; 11/29/14 at Clemson

2013-14 Basketball (14-20, 5-13)

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzouMark, on 12 February 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Number 2 would kill the 2 minute drill... wait 10 seconds after every play... better throw it to the end zone every time that's your only shot.

View Postcocky4ever, on 12 February 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Good point. They'd have to change it so that there would be no penalty when there's less than 2 minutes.

But I don't see them adopting that rule anyway....though I'd like them to.

The committee also recommended a rules change that will allow defensive units to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, with the exception of the final two minutes of each half, starting with the 2014 season.

2 min drill will be safe.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGAMECOCK_FAN, on 13 February 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Agree.  I know we had two occurrences (that I remember specifically watching) where a player was flagged for targeting and ejected, only to have the play reviewed and the ejection overturned.  If it can be reviewed and the ejection overturned, it only makes sense that the flag be picked up and no penalty incurred.  Makes no sense the way it works now.

As long as the 2-minute drill is safe (as it seems it will be), I have no problem with the other rule change either.

Nope and not just Georgia, ive seen several teams fuqed over that way.

For instance, Ramik Wilson was called for target against fuqing Vandy on 4th down, flag was waived because it was a perfectly legal hit, yet they were given a first down.

Total bullPosted Image, i cant even beleive its taken this long to change that dumbass rule.

Posted ImagePosted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 13 February 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Nope and not just Georgia, ive seen several teams fuqed over that way.

For instance, Ramik Wilson was called for target against fuqing Vandy on 4th down, flag was waived because it was a perfectly legal hit, yet they were given a first down.

Total bullPosted Image, i cant even beleive its taken this long to change that dumbass rule.

We knew it was going to be bad heading into the season....but what compounded the idiocy of the rule was the "when in doubt, throw the flag"  approach they were told to take.
all your bases are belong to us

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 13 February 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

We knew it was going to be bad heading into the season....but what compounded the idiocy of the rule was the "when in doubt, throw the flag"  approach they were told to take.

Couldnt agree more.

Posted ImagePosted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 13 February 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Couldnt agree more.

officials- "we're gonna take a "better safe than sorry" approach. But don't worry, each penalty will be reviewed, and, if overturned, the player will be allowed to stay in the game."

skeptics- "well yeah, but what about the 15 yard penatly??"

officials- "uhhh...........PLAYER SAFETY!!"
all your bases are belong to us

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 13 February 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Yea.  I like the rule and emphasis on player safety, but the part where they made a bad judgement call and left you with a 15 yarder was clearly a big error that they made.  I think they called it on us twice and picked up the flags, but I think we also benefited from it a time or two.  Maybe those were actual targets, I can't remember.

Posted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 13 February 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

officials- "we're gonna take a "better safe than sorry" approach. But don't worry, each penalty will be reviewed, and, if overturned, the player will be allowed to stay in the game."

skeptics- "well yeah, but what about the 15 yard penatly??"

officials- "uhhh...........PLAYER SAFETY!!"

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users