lulz @ NAACP - Think Tank - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

lulz @ NAACP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
brb- protesting voter ID laws

brb- telling people they need to bring their ID while attending

http://thepunditpres...ired-to-attend/

Posted Image

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Eh, I'd also make sure to carry an ID if I were planning on having a march which has the POTENTIAL (as any protest does) to end badly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It is a bit of a pain to go vote thats why turnouts are so low.  If you can make it more of a pain in the ass for poor folks to vote you can further disenfranchise them.  That is what voter ID laws are intended to do.

Posted Image

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
There needs to be an ID system though...not having one is plain stupid. The problem is that there is no universal ID. We should have a "voter ID" that is issued free of charge whenever somebody signs up to vote. That makes all these problems a non-issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dawgbit

dawgbit

"Liberty isn't a loophole."--nova

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 09 February 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

It is a bit of a pain to go vote thats why turnouts are so low.  If you can make it more of a pain in the ass for poor folks to vote you can further disenfranchise them.  That is what voter ID laws are intended to do.
Damn right. While we're at it, let's get rid of the "disenfranchisement" laws required for driving. And buying a firearm. And flying. And cashing a check. Bastards don't need to know who I am when I'm opening a bank account either. Taking a college entrance exam? Posted Image em. And i feel pretty damn disenfranchised at the liquor store and club Posted Image too. I hope they try to ID me if i have to apply for welfare or social security benefits. By god, I even got disenfranchised when asked to present id at an "r" rated movie.

This whole damn idea of me being who I say I am is just a big conspiracy to keep me down./****/

Proving that you are who you say you are isn't disenfranchisement. It's Posted Image 'in common sense.

Edited by dawgbit, 09 February 2014 - 11:50 AM.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It's that hard to slip an ID in your pocket on your way to the polls? Holy inconvenience Batman.**

Edited by 1dawgfan09, 09 February 2014 - 12:58 PM.

Posted Image

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Yeah, it's in no way an attempt to curb the outrageous instances of voter fraud.**

FIRE EVERYONE

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

I'm sure they have absolutely nothing to do with keeping voter fraud down or letting non-US citizens vote.

Even homeless people can very easily obtain state ID cards. There's nothing difficult or expensive about obtaining an ID. The notion that it would 'disenfranchise' them is purely wrong.
R.I.P Philip Luzenkirchen, recipient of Neil Caudle's first career TD pass.
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Mexicans don't have a problem getting them, not buying the poor folks can't get an ID bullPosted Image.  Spend that $20 on the ID instead of rocks and Ports.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Actually, it IS quite an ordeal for some folks. It's not really hypocritical to ask that marchers bring ID, because the folks who can't get or struggle to get ID are typically in no condition to walk, much less march, or have no way to show up at a march.

That's the problem with most folks' comments regarding this issue (and most issues, frankly); they only look at it from their own perspective, rather than considering that not everyone is in their same social or economic situation or station in life.

I know some folks who are old, disabled, poor, or all 3 who would have a great deal of trouble getting down to a driver's license office, sitting there all day, and getting ID... in fact, I have family members who simply couldn't do it at all if they didn't have family nearby to assist them in doing so. I know someone who quit driving before state ID's were even issued to folks who couldn't drive, and she hadn't had a new ID for like 50 years.

I have a car; not everyone does, nor do they have family to drive them and they live in rural areas where there is no public transportation. If they get a chance to vote it's because someone has organized a large group trip to do it.

I have a copy of my birth certificate; not everyone does, and it often practically takes an act of Congress to get a copy... in fact, sometimes one needs more documentation than some folks reasonably have access to to obtain one.

Ironically, they usually want the kind of ID that requires a birth certificate to reissue the birth certificate... how's that for a catch-22?

"Yes sir, we can send you a copy of your birth certificate; simply take your birth certificate to the SS office and the state DL office, get a DL or state ID with your picture on it, a SS card, a money order for $20, and mail copies of both to us with the money order, and we'll send you a copy of your birth certificate.". Posted Image  Somebody tell me how a poor, senior citizen in a wheelchair, with no family nearby, accomplishes all those things. They still have a right to vote.

Everywhere I've ever lived they mailed me my voter ID card automatically prior to elections; and if you drive, you can usually update it regularly each time you renew your license. But people who aren't ambulatory and no longer drive (and their are millions of them in this country) may still be getting their voter ID cards in the mail, but they don't have pictures on them.

Requiring folks to obtain an official picture ID, often in addition to their voter registration card to prove they're the person the card was issued to (as if anyone would bother to go to all the trouble to steal a voter registration card so they could stand in line for 5 hours and vote) is nothing more than an attempt to advance a political agenda and influence election results.

It's not even brilliantly disguised; it's blatant interference with a specific goal. It's targeted at a group of folks (the poor, the elderly, and the disabled) they know will be voting for their political opponents.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 09 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

Posted Image

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

OLEMAHA!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
At this point, I would hope that serious consideration to abolish the Think Tank is in the works, @WadeWilson @Benny @PuddingTime @GatorUnvrsty. .

Only reason it was ever created was to put political topics and religious topics away from the general public forum's eye, because people get their feeling hurt when their stance on the matter is ever challenged/proven wrong.

What a complete waste of creation of a subforum that was, as evidenced by the barrage of clearly political topics in the WF.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Formerly known as FCNDawg

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 09 February 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Actually, it IS quite an ordeal for some folks. It's not really hypocritical to ask that marchers bring ID, because the folks who can't get or struggle to get ID are typically in no condition to walk, much less march, or have no way to show up at a march.

That's the problem with most folks' comments regarding this issue (and most issues, frankly); they only look at it from their own perspective, rather than considering that not everyone is in their same social or economic situation or station in life.

I know some folks who are old, disabled, poor, or all 3 who would have a great deal of trouble getting down to a driver's license office, sitting there all day, and getting ID... in fact, I have family members who simply couldn't do it at all if they didn't have family nearby to assist them in doing so. I know someone who quit driving before state ID's were even issued to folks who couldn't drive, and she hadn't had a new ID for like 50 years.

I have a car; not everyone does, nor do they have family to drive them and they live in rural areas where there is no public transportation. If they get a chance to vote it's because someone has organized a large group trip to do it.

I have a copy of my birth certificate; not everyone does, and it often practically takes an act of Congress to get a copy... in fact, sometimes one needs more documentation than some folks reasonably have access to to obtain one.

Ironically, they usually want the kind of ID that requires a birth certificate to reissue the birth certificate... how's that for a catch-22?

"Yes sir, we can send you a copy of your birth certificate; simply take your birth certificate to the SS office and the state DL office, get a DL or state ID with your picture on it, a SS card, a money order for $20, and mail copies of both to us with the money order, and we'll send you a copy of your birth certificate.". %20http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/g8r8u2/blinksmiley.gif  Somebody tell me how a poor, senior citizen in a wheelchair, with no family nearby, accomplishes all those things. They still have a right to vote.

Everywhere I've ever lived they mailed me my voter ID card automatically prior to elections; and if you drive, you can usually update it regularly each time you renew your license. But people who aren't ambulatory and no longer drive (and their are millions of them in this country) may still be getting their voter ID cards in the mail, but they don't have pictures on them.

Requiring folks to obtain an official picture ID, often in addition to their voter registration card to prove they're the person the card was issued to (as if anyone would bother to go to all the trouble to steal a voter registration card so they could stand in line for 5 hours and vote) is nothing more than an attempt to advance a political agenda and influence election results.

It's not even brilliantly disguised; it's blatant interference with a specific goal. It's targeted at a group of folks (the poor, the elderly, and the disabled) they know will be voting for their political opponents.

Why wouldn't some of these people have the correct and needed documentation anyway. How many people have you met without a valid form of ID for no good reason? And twenty bucks is not that big of a stretch.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 09 February 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

I'm sure they have absolutely nothing to do with keeping voter fraud down or letting non-US citizens vote.

Folks who aren't allowed to vote (felons) and illegals stay as far away from state and federal offices (including voting locations) as humanly possible... they want no part of potentially being discovered.

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 09 February 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Even homeless people can very easily obtain state ID cards. There's nothing difficult or expensive about obtaining an ID. The notion that it would 'disenfranchise' them is purely wrong.

Ever been homeless? Do you really think somebody who sleeps in a cardboard box next to a dumpster has a spare $25 to obtain an ID; and that's what he'd spend it on instead of some decent food so he could skip dining from that same dumpster for a change?

And what about those homeless folks who don't live in a big city? It's your opinion that after obtaining that $25, walking 20 or 30 miles to the nearest city big enough to have a DL office isn't difficult?

Some of you folks have a very limited experience of life in America... probably not a bad idea to walk in some shoes prior to commenting on the hardships of others; or at the very least spend some time around those different groups.
Posted Image

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
And if you can't scrape up twenty bucks, you have bigger problems than not voting. Plus, there are all kinds of party funded and volunteer driven modes of transport to take people to poling places. Sorry and everywhere else.

Edited by 1dawgfan09, 09 February 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 09 February 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Why wouldn't some of these people have the correct and needed documentation anyway. How many people have you met without a valid form of ID for no good reason? And twenty bucks is not that big of a stretch.

Are you serious? Some people are home-bound; they haven't left their house in decades, and haven't had a need for a DL or ID.

Some folks haven't been in their attic to dig up their original birth certificate for 50 years, if it hasn't completely fallen apart in the first place.

Some folks have lost all their belongings in moves over the years.

Some folks have lost all their belongings in fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc, etc..

There are literally hundreds of reasons why someone might be unable to acquire those things.

And $20 isn't that big of a stretch to YOU. It's a helluva stretch to somebody who's disabled, lives on $750/month, and has to choose between buying real food, or pet food and their prescriptions, every month... believe me, that's not even uncommon.
Posted Image