Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Very good read on Rashaan Evans

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
From Opelika-Auburn News prep sports writer.

"When all was said and done, though, Evans was seemingly at peace with his decision. In the weeks leading up to signing day, Evans spoke fondly of his relationship with Saban, specifically citing the Alabama coach’s honesty during the recruiting process — something Evans had said would be key in making his ultimate decision.
“Over the past few weeks I’ve learned a lot about Coach Saban,” Evans said on Jan. 24. “I’ll be honest with you, he’s one of the most kind-hearted coaches I’ve met. He’s honest. He’s honest about everything he says. He’s not going to tell you you’re going to start.
“He tells you you’re going to go through the process and we’ll see what happens then. He’s straight up with me, and that’s what I like in a coach.”

http://www.oanow.com....7a43b2370.html

Edited by ALA2262, 06 February 2014 - 08:58 AM.

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
After weighing out everything and I don't see how Evans would pick anyone but Bama. Sure I'm a bammer but the proof is in the pudding as they say. Saban has made it almost a done deal getting our LB's to the NFL year after year. He could have possibly gotten there with Auburn too but playing time was about all they had to offer. His choice surprised me but its not surprising... not like his mom.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 06 February 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

After weighing out everything and I don't see how Evans would pick anyone but Bama. Sure I'm a bammer but the proof is in the pudding as they say. Saban has made it almost a done deal getting our LB's to the NFL year after year. He could have possibly gotten there with Auburn too but playing time was about all they had to offer. His choice surprised me but its not surprising... not like his mom.

Playing Ellis Johnson's hybrid LB/safety position at the barn would have cost him millions in NFL money. NFL doesn't have a a "star" position.

And I believe his Mother was disappointed with the crowd reaction and not his decision. I suspect she knows about the NFL money and is looking forward to spending some of it.

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

HALLOWEEN is Creeping Up On Us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
All I can say is welcome to the Crimson Tide, Mr. Evans! I hope you enjoy all the good times awaiting you!
Posted Image

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostALA2262, on 06 February 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Playing Ellis Johnson's hybrid LB/safety position at the barn would have cost him millions in NFL money. NFL doesn't have a a "star" position.

And I believe his Mother was disappointed with the crowd reaction and not his decision. I suspect she knows about the NFL money and is looking forward to spending some of it.

His mother is a doctor, lol different from a lot of situations

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Actually the "Star" position is essentially a Weakside linebacker.  Last time i checked  the NFL has that position.
"Sometimes you need to decide which mountaintop you want to die on." John Dixon

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

After reading, reviewing his recruitment and seeing all the pitches made at him, Ellis Johnson and the whole star position is the lone reason he's not at Auburn right now. There will always be apart of him that will be all Auburn, this is the epitome of a business decision. Something Alabama sells better than anyone in the country, no doubt about that.

His mom did give a look to the crowd and a slight eye roll, so I can agree with that. Initial reactions was she was out of the loop, but it seems like they're all closer than that.

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 06 February 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Actually the "Star" position is essentially a Weakside linebacker.  Last time i checked  the NFL has that position.

The fact remains he would have been in coverage much more often at Auburn, he feels more comfortable rushing. Even with a commitment to blitz him more, it was a scheme he wasn't comfortable with. It was a pitch that just didn't work on him, not that it was a bad move, it just didn't work out.

Posted Image

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 06 February 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

The fact remains he would have been in coverage much more often at Auburn, he feels more comfortable rushing. Even with a commitment to blitz him more, it was a scheme he wasn't comfortable with. It was a pitch that just didn't work on him, not that it was a bad move, it just didn't work out.

Depends on how strong his supporting safety and cornerbacks are.    If they can hold their own im sure he would be free to blitz more.  But as far as responsibilities  he is a Weakside linebacker playing deeper in the backfield than normal.
"Sometimes you need to decide which mountaintop you want to die on." John Dixon

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 06 February 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Depends on how strong his supporting safety and cornerbacks are. If they can hold their own im sure he would be free to blitz more.  But as far as responsibilities  he is a Weakside linebacker playing deeper in the backfield than normal.

Yeah it's true, which means he would have less of a chance to put a hand down or blitz from the edge. It's definitely not easy having strong supporting corners and safeties in the backfield, hell that was Bama's true weakness last season as we know. Essentially though, the Jack LB was built by Saban long ago for a prototype mold that fits Evans down to a T, and he saw that as a money make if he performed well enough. A star position will see more coverage no matter how it's broken down or discussed, and apparently that was the only unattractive part to him.

Edited by Tider27, 06 February 2014 - 12:31 PM.

Posted Image

HFS

HFS

Everything is so Shakespeare to these Hoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think he'd be a first round pick regardless. He wouldn't have lost money if he came here, but he obviously liked the Jack more than the Star.

When we have a LB playing Star it's a weakside LB position. He would've fit perfectly.

In a 4-3 he would've been Von Miller, in a 3-4 he's John Abraham.
Posted Image
Formerly known as HardFightinSoldier

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHFS, on 06 February 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

I think he'd be a first round pick regardless. He wouldn't have lost money if he came here, but he obviously liked the Jack more than the Star.

When we have a LB playing Star it's a weakside LB position. He would've fit perfectly.

In a 4-3 he would've been Von Miller, in a 3-4 he's John Abraham.

I get all the comparisons and I definitely agree, but in this case if he was told he'll be an OLB, putting his hand on the ground and rushing from the edge...he would have been Auburns. He just has more responsibilities in coverage in the "star", as a Jack, you're a standing pass rush DE, that's about it.

We all have to agree this was lost in the pitch, whether the kid is wrong in his line of thinking or not.

Edited by Tider27, 06 February 2014 - 12:59 PM.

Posted Image

HFS

HFS

Everything is so Shakespeare to these Hoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 06 February 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

I get all the comparisons and I definitely agree, but in this case if he was told he'll be an OLB, putting his hand on the ground and rushing from the edge...he would have been Auburns. He just has more responsibilities in coverage in the "star", as a Jack, you're a standing pass rush DE, that's about it.

We all have to agree this was lost in the pitch, whether the kid is wrong in his line of thinking or not.
He would've played with his hand on the ground a lot. We run a 3-4 stunt on a lot of longer downs, with Dee Ford gone we would've have given him the edge responsibility.

I think Kirby and Saban flat out just beat us.
Posted Image
Formerly known as HardFightinSoldier

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHFS, on 06 February 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

He would've played with his hand on the ground a lot. We run a 3-4 stunt on a lot of longer downs, with Dee Ford gone we would've have given him the edge responsibility.

I think Kirby and Saban flat out just beat us.

Fair enough, I just can't imagine Auburn not utilizing an amazing pass rusher, that's always their MO. There's no doubt he would have flourished at Auburn, and if I'm being honest I'll have to see it to believe it when it comes Alabama having a legit pass rush..

Posted Image

Large Marge

Large Marge

Ask me about Loom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Saying he was "at peace with his decision" makes it sound like he just told them to take his mom off life support.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users