Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

CAPA - college athletes players union

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Noah

Noah

Logic gets you from A to Z, curiosity takes you everywhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
College athletes are attempting to form a labor union to begin the formal process of being recognized as employees.

Ramogi Huma, president of the National College Players Association, filed a petition in Chicago with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) on behalf of an undisclosed number of Northwestern football players. The move represents a significant step by college athletes to attempt to collectively bargain with the NCAA, universities and conferences.

If certified by the NLRB, the organization would be called the College Athletes Players Association (CAPA). Huma co-founded the organization with Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter and former Massachusetts basketball player Luke Bonner, the brother of NBA player Matt Bonner.

The organization is backed by the United Steelworkers union. A news conference is scheduled for today to announce "an overwhelming majority" of Northwestern football players have signed cards supporting a petition filed with the NLRB, according to a news release.

Huma told ESPN's Outside the Lines that the initial goals of the CAPA do not include a call for schools to pay salaries, but he did not rule out the possibility of the group seeking that type of compensation in the future. The ongoing Ed O'Bannon lawsuit against the NCAA filed by former and current players is seeking a 50-50 share of television revenue due to the use of athletes' names, images and likenesses on broadcasts.

Some goals listed on the CAPA web site include:

* Guaranteed coverage for sports-related medical expenses for current and former players.

* Minimizing the risk of sports-related traumatic brain injury. Reduce contact in practices, place independent concussion experts on the sidelines, and establish uniform return to play protocols.

* Improve graduation rates. Establish an educational trust fund to help former players complete their degree and reward those who graduate on time.

* Increase athletic scholarships and allow players to receive compensation for commercial sponsorships.

* Secure due process rights. Ensure players are not punished simply because they are accused of a rule violation, and any punishments should be consistent across campuses.

Edited by Noah, 28 January 2014 - 01:26 PM.

After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah
Formerly known as Noah.Dreams

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've heard it all now.

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 8-2 (6-2)

Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This will go well....is Obama on board?

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This is been building for a while.  These kids are wising up to the fact that quite literally millions are being made off their on field efforts, millions which dry up if they just pack it in.  Not like you can go down to Home Depot and pick up some replacement Mexicans.  That gives them a loooot of leverage....

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yankee agitators

Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Ban athletic scholarships.

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
While I do agree with their sentiments, I don't believe forming a union is the way to go.  I hope these people know that by joining a union, they will have to pay taxes on their tuition money since they will be designated as "employees".  Do they think the school is going to pay that for them?
Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostShow Stopper, on 29 January 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

While I do agree with their sentiments, I don't believe forming a union is the way to go.  I hope these people know that by joining a union, they will have to pay taxes on their tuition money since they will be designated as "employees".  Do they think the school is going to pay that for them?
stupid kids don't even know what the real world is like yet...

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take it as it comes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Unions are certainly one way of accomplishing whatever they want to get done. It's bound to happen when people are struggling and feel they are not getting what they need or should have. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
Posted Image

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
These kids aren't employees earning a salary,they are given a scholarship to earn an education and play a sport.The emphasis should be on education.

I don't see where a union should be involved unless these kids want to be paid in addition to their scholarship.

Edited by L.A.Hog, 29 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

possumslayer

possumslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSheLuvsBama, on 29 January 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

Unions are certainly one way of accomplishing whatever they want to get done. It's bound to happen when people are struggling and feel they are not getting what they need or should have. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
your a school teacher?

Eaglefan

Eaglefan
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If this ever happens the first thing that you will find out is which schools have the most monies that they can throw at a kid to get them to come play for them. Second take the schollys and throw them out the window and what ever they pay the kids then the kids can pay the school of their choice for their education. That might let the kids get a taste of real life. Question I have would be if this were to happen would the school have to have insurance for the employees that they would be hiring to play football?? If so would that not be so freaking much money that it would be a moot point about making money for the school from the football program?

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
uh huh. What are the "dues" that come with being in the "union?" This is so incredibly, Posted Imageing dumb. Posted Image off with this.

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take it as it comes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postpossumslayer, on 29 January 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

your a school teacher?

No, no, no......I just come from a family that has been in unions since my Grandfather. I approve of them, but really think the athletes need to remember that being a player on a team is not considered a job at this point in their life. It may LEAD to a job, but it is not a job now. They bring in lots of money for their schools, but they usually fail to remember that they are among the privileged by being able to play for these teams, and on scholarship no less. They are fortunate already. They can worry about the money they make later when they get out of school. Now is not the time. They are coddled enough, imo. That's just my opinion, though.
Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Looks like Hoffa is back
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users