Pro Bowl (What the Heck?) - The Pros - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Pro Bowl (What the Heck?)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

GAMECOCK_FAN

GAMECOCK_FAN
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Someone fill an old man in on what the Pro Bowl is now.  I haven't watched the Pro Bowl in years, but turned it on for the last 8 minutes of the game last night.  I was surprised to see that it wasn't the NFC vs.AFC, but Team Rice (Jerry Rice) vs. Team Sanders (Deion Sanders).  There was a player on both teams from Dallas so obviously it isn't NFC vs. AFC.  Did Rice and Sanders draft their teams?

The NFL is getting so full of crap these days..........

Edited by GAMECOCK_FAN, 27 January 2014 - 08:00 AM.

2014 Baseball (28-9, 8-7)
4/18/14-4/20/14 at Auburn; 4/22/14 Davidson; 4/23/14 USC Upstate; 4/25/14-4/27/14 Alabama; 5/2/14-5/4/14 at Georgia; 5/7/14 Wofford; 5/9/14-5/11/14 Missouri; 5/13/14 The Citadel; 5/15/14-5/17/14 at Vanderbilt

2014 Football (0-0, 0-0)
8/28/14 Texas A&M; 9/6/14 East Carolina; 9/13/14 Georgia; 9/20/14 at Vanderbilt; 9/27/14 Missouri; 10/4/14 at Kentucky; 10/18/14 Furman; 10/25/14 at Auburn; 11/1/14 Tennessee; 11/15/14 at Florida; 11/22/14 South Alabama; 11/29/14 at Clemson

2013-14 Basketball (14-20, 5-13)

Stefanozz

Stefanozz
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
They tried to shake things up a bit to add some competition back into the game.  The last few years players were noticeably not trying.  It was a silly, far reaching idea that someone let fly.

I miss the conference vs conference matchup.
Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Throw it in the dirt! (DIRT!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostStefanozz, on 27 January 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

They tried to shake things up a bit to add some competition back into the game.  The last few years players were noticeably not trying.  It was a silly, far reaching idea that someone let fly.

I miss the conference vs conference matchup.

View PostGAMECOCK_FAN, on 27 January 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Someone fill an old man in on what the Pro Bowl is now.  I haven't watched the Pro Bowl in years, but turned it on for the last 8 minutes of the game last night.  I was surprised to see that it wasn't the NFC vs.AFC, but Team Rice (Jerry Rice) vs. Team Sanders (Deion Sanders).  There was a player on both teams from Dallas so obviously it isn't NFC vs. AFC.  Did Rice and Sanders draft their teams?

The NFL is getting so full of crap these days..........
The pro bowl is much better this way, before when it was conference vs conference there was no competition. Players were walking and no one watched it. Now that you had this "fantasy draft" and Rice and Sanders it is actually competitive. This is the first pro bowl in years that the players were actually being competitive and wanted to win.

Posted Image

#SUPERREBELWEEKEND

#10 Ole Miss Rebels Baseball

29-9 (9-6)

Next Series: LSU (GTHLSU)

Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

Stefanozz

Stefanozz
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 27 January 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

The pro bowl is much better this way, before when it was conference vs conference there was no competition. Players were walking and no one watched it. Now that you had this "fantasy draft" and Rice and Sanders it is actually competitive. This is the first pro bowl in years that the players were actually being competitive and wanted to win.

I did notice more competitive spirit that is for sure.  I only wish that there was a different way to create it than Posted Imageting all over the historic format.
Of all the ways to create competition, surely a little more brainstorming could have been done.
The best thing they could come up with was...
Team Rice vs Team Sanders?  WTF does that have to do with the Pro Bowl? How does a fan root for anything in that?  based on your perceptions of the ex nfl players drafting?

Here is my idea that took less than 30 seconds to come up with.
Make the cash incentive for winning more than 53k  and make the loser earn zero.  Take all the money spent on holding and televising the draft and throw it at the winners team.

Edited by Stefanozz, 27 January 2014 - 08:17 AM.

Posted Image

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I actually watched the whole game because it was consistently entertaining.   I doubt that's happened since I was a kid.   Derrick Johnson absolutely destroyed his KC teammate, Jamaal Charles.

The teams may have talked to each other at halftime though.   There were several big hits in the first half, and they stopped that in the 2nd half, hah.

I have no clue who won any of the last 5 pro bowls, and I'll bet that's true for the vast majority of people as well.  So let's not pretend the conference matchups were particularly significant either.

Edited by OmahaBound, 27 January 2014 - 08:24 AM.

Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I wouldn't watch that game if you paid me.  It's a pointless, pathetic display of a game I love very much.

It's a travashamockery.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostStefanozz, on 27 January 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Team Rice vs Team Sanders?  WTF does that have to do with the Pro Bowl? How does a fan root for anything in that?  based on your perceptions of the ex nfl players drafting?

Here is my idea that took less than 30 seconds to come up with.
Make the cash incentive for winning more than 53k  and make the loser earn zero.  Take all the money spent on holding and televising the draft and throw it at the winners team.

I guess it just depends on the person.   I never took any joy in AFC or NFC winning.   For me the Pro Bowl is all about the best players on the field at the same time.  This format doesn't change that at all, and at least last night they were all way more into it.   Guys on the sidelines were still watching and jumping up and down excited long after their playing time was done.   The only way I'd have a problem with it is if Rice and Sanders were actually picking who makes the Pro Bowl too, but that won't happen.

At first I like the idea of no money for the losing team, but I think it would end up having negative consequences actually.   First, the players would never go for it.  But if they did, say hello to lots more punting and FGs instead of going for it on 4th.   No more flea-flickers and the other entertaining plays too risky for most games.   And since these are guys who haven't played in a month and practice for 3 days, you're probably looking at a 2nd week of preseason type game...best case scenario.

Edited by OmahaBound, 27 January 2014 - 09:12 AM.

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

8 NCs/46 SECs/27 SECTs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I watched five minutes and turned it off. Total joke of a game.
Posted Image

"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The pro bowl is simply just touch football.... it'd be a better game without helmets and pads.
After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah
Formerly known as Noah.Dreams

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNoah, on 27 January 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

The pro bowl is simply just touch football.... it'd be a better game without helmets and pads.

Remind me to never play touch football in your neighborhood

Posted Image

Posted Image

(both teammate collisions too)

It's never going to be a normal game, and in reality it shouldn't.   No one wants one of their players getting hurt in an exhibition.   There will never be reward enough to make that worth it.   I think the first half last night is as close to a real game as we'll get, and if you didn't watch it was actually fairly close.
Posted Image

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostOmahaBound, on 27 January 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Remind me to never play touch football in your neighborhood

Posted Image

Posted Image

(both teammate collisions too)

It's never going to be a normal game, and in reality it shouldn't.   No one wants one of their players getting hurt in an exhibition.   There will never be reward enough to make that worth it.   I think the first half last night is as close to a real game as we'll get, and if you didn't watch it was actually fairly close.
  If it were me, I wouldn't risk playing in the pro bowl either.

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNoah, on 27 January 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

If it were me, I wouldn't risk playing in the pro bowl either.

I think that will probably be the end result.   Though It will be funny to see if the player's push for it to continue when the owners inevitably say we're getting rid of pro bowl bonuses too.
Posted Image

RodLovly

RodLovly

ehhhhh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Even if I hadn't forgotten the Pro Bowl was on, I wouldn't have watched. Complete waste of time.

I was drunk by a fire playing guitar. A much better waste of my time.
Posted Image

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRodLovly, on 27 January 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Even if I hadn't forgotten the Pro Bowl was on, I wouldn't have watched. Complete waste of time.

I was drunk by a fire playing guitar. A much better waste of my time.

If that's not the name of a country song it should be.

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
There used to be a game between the NFL champions and a group of college allstars.It was stopped in 1976 I believe due to fears of injury.

No way would this even be considered nowadays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users