Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Mizzou failure to pursue sexual assault - OTL

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postpossumslayer, on 24 January 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

unless...
...it involves Tennessee getting brought up on charges
Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 24 January 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Oh man, is this one going to get ugly. As the law stipulates, the university must initiate an investigation even after the death of a victim; and plenty of UM officials knew of it by 2011-12... this is 2014.

Additionally, I don't know the law in Missouri, but in nearly every other state I'm familiar with, the law states that even health care professionals MUST report evidence or claims of a sexual assault or rape to the regular law enforcement authorities; those laws typically supercede any and all privacy laws and claims of health care confidentiality.

Also, unlike other recent cases, there are witnesses (including another football player) and even a videotape of this one, as well as an admission by one of the participants...

The basics of Menu Courey's account are supported by a former Missouri football receiver, who alleges that more than one of his teammates raped her that night. Rolandis Woodland, a receiver with the Tigers from 2008-12 and a friend of Menu Courey's, was not at the scene but said the morning after the incident she was distraught and crying, confiding to him that something bad had happened to her without saying exactly what.

Later, after she died, he said he saw a videotape of three players in a dark room assaulting her in a drunken state.

"You could see her saying 'No, no,' hysterically crying," Woodland, who had dated Menu Courey briefly, told "Outside the Lines." "She uses the name of [redacted player] when she tells him to get off of her, and he says, 'It's only me.' They dim the lights and you could see them switching [assaulting] her but you cannot see who was switching because the lights were dimmed. About three minutes into the tape, she pushed whoever was on her off of her and ran out of the room."

Woodland said he believes Menu Courey didn't realize, because she was intoxicated, that multiple players took part. The video was sent to him, he said, by Menu Courey, who mailed the package just before she killed herself in June 2011. He said Menu Courey had told him she received the tape from a former girlfriend of one of the players. Woodland said the tape was inadvertently misplaced by one of his family members, and he has been unable to find it.

Woodland attributes the discrepancy in his account and Menu Courey's to her intoxication. He stands by his account that she was raped by teammates and said he angrily confronted three of them shortly after her death. He said that after being pressed, one of them admitted being with her sexually -- that he took advantage of the situation -- but denied it was against her consent.

http://espn.go.com/e...stigation-finds
I'm not sure about all the legal stuff. First, in that email Mizzou said that it was against the law for health care to report, I trust them on that. Second, when the University found out after she died, they asked the parents to start an investigation but received no comment. Could they start an investigation without permission? As for the witnesses, no one saw it live. The video was seen by only Woodland and he couldn't identify anyone. He also lost the video and couldn't show anyone. I didn't see an admission by anyone? Only thing I saw is one person who stated he had consensual sex.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 24 January 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

I'm not sure about all the legal stuff. First, in that email Mizzou said that it was against the law for health care to report, I trust them on that. Second, when the University found out after she died, they asked the parents to start an investigation but received no comment. Could they start an investigation without permission? As for the witnesses, no one saw it live. The video was seen by only Woodland and he couldn't identify anyone. He also lost the video and couldn't show anyone. I didn't see an admission by anyone? Only thing I saw is one person who stated he had consensual sex.

Well, each state has their own laws governing that stuff, and they vary a lot; so I can't really speak on that as it relates to Missouri.

However, what is clear cut is that Missouri was obligated by law to initiate their own investigation immediately, as soon as there was an allegation. The timeline shows officials were aware of the allegation years ago. That's indisputable.

Also indisputable is the player putting himself there, which is essentially the same as admitting the rape. He says it was consensual; but she had already established that she was raped with multiple people, and the teammate says he saw a video confirming everything she said.

Just because the video is now misplaced doesn't mean he didn't see everything that happened.

What fans will argue is a lack of evidence, which may very well keep them out of serious legal trouble; but as we all know a lack of evidence that may mean "not guilty" in a legal sense is not the same thing as innocent.

The fact is, 3 football players gang-raped another scholarship student-athlete. She reported it to everyone she probably thought she was supposed to.

First she reports it to a university therapist. She talks about several more times in subsequent sessions. That therapist's supervisors sign a report that mentions the rape. At this point, 3 university officials are aware of a rape allegation. The instant even 1 was aware, an investigation should have, according to law, been initiated.

She quits participating in her sport. She then checks herself into the university psychiatric center. She tells a university nurse (who then tells 2 university doctors) about the rape. At this point 6 university employees are aware there's been a sexual assault by members of the football team. Even if you can somehow make an excuse for not divulging this girl's medical information, the university now has an obligation to protect the rest of the student body from 3 men who may very well be predators... they do nothing.

The girl next makes her 1st suicide attempt. She's involuntarily committed to the hospital, as is customary for people who are a danger to themselves. While there, the university is so compassionate and concerned about her welfare that they send an athletic staffer to get her to sign a form "withdrawing" herself from the university. The girl makes a record stating that she told that same staffer, who isn't a medical employee, about the rape on the phone. Phone records confirm the girl called that staffer when she wrote/recorded that she'd called her.

The university sends the girl, who's already suicidal, a letter telling her she's no longer eligible for financial aid (which would include her scholarship). 3 weeks later she's dead after succeeding in her 2nd suicide attempt.

I don't care how you slice it, that's some cold-hearted, dastardly bullPosted Image right there. The school was hoping that it would just go away while they protected those players and kept it all under wraps. And not only that, but they essentially said a single female swimmer isn't nearly as important as 3 football players; and not only won't we get to the bottom of it, we're just going to throw the girl away altogether and rid ourselves of this potentially explosive situation. They dumped her on others.

The Columbia newspaper writes an article about the rape, and the AD and other athletic administrators are e-mailed copies.

After her death, the university records custodian discovers all the information about the rape, including the rape crisis center transcript. That makes 9+ university employees, and at least the 3rd non-medical employee, to be aware of a rape allegation, and still no investigation has been initiated... and a girl is already dead over it.

I don't care how many law books you break out, or how adept at using a thesaurus you are, there ain't no way to spin that Posted Image to make it okay.

Posted ImagePosted Image
. _ "Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

chunkybeefstu

chunkybeefstu
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This is a terrible situation.  They should find who did it and punish them to the full extent of the law.  If the university covered it up, they should be punished too.  But I don't know how you punish a team, or group of teams for something that was covered up by greedy people attempting to use those teams to make more money.  The rapists and anyone who covered it up should be punished.  By the courts.  If they decide to punish the players that are there now, I get it, but I don't know that that is the answer.  I just feel terrible that it happened to anyone.
GO TIGERS!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users