basic man rules. things every man should know and live by - Page 6 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 6

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

basic man rules. things every man should know and live by

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA. Pilgrim, on 24 January 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

At a minimum.

But I would be more inclined to say that every man should a variety of genres in their 'resume' of books read.

Whenever anyone (including women, but we're talking men rules here) says something along the lines of "I only read magazines" my brain immediately interprets that as "I'm an idiot, you should probably end the conversation right here"

I used to do something like that when dating. It used to be if a chick couldn't sit through the 6 o'clock news and have an opinion at the end I lost interest in dating her and moved back to the cut buddy zone. But that was before the 6 o'clock news sucked and when it was your best venue for the news.

Tablets and amazon kindle books are my bane. I download something new to read every 3-5 days it seems.

Redacted

A. Pilgrim

A. Pilgrim
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 24 January 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

I used to do something like that when dating. It used to be if a chick couldn't sit through the 6 o'clock news and have an opinion at the end I lost interest in dating her and moved back to the cut buddy zone. But that was before the 6 o'clock news sucked and when it was your best venue for the news.

Tablets and amazon kindle books are my bane. I download something new to read every 3-5 days it seems.

I completely understand the appeal of e-readers, but I'm still hooked on having an actual book in my hand. The feel of the pages, its smell, being able to put it on my book shelf when I'm done. I guess I'm old school like that (at 30 years old). My wife tells me I'm an 'old soul' in that regard (among others)

Posted Image

Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA. Pilgrim, on 24 January 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I completely understand the appeal of e-readers, but I'm still hooked on having an actual book in my hand. The feel of the pages, its smell, being able to put it on my book shelf when I'm done. I guess I'm old school like that (at 30 years old). My wife tells me I'm an 'old soul' in that regard (among others)

I went to an e reader almost 2 years ago. The town I life in has never had a book store, boarders in Augusta closed and the Barnes and noble moved to the mall at the same time the books a million became a 2nd and Charles. I went E Reader more in self defense than desire.

Redacted

A. Pilgrim

A. Pilgrim
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 24 January 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

I went to an e reader almost 2 years ago. The town I life in has never had a book store, boarders in Augusta closed and the Barnes and noble moved to the mall at the same time the books a million became a 2nd and Charles. I went E Reader more in self defense than desire.

Our local Books A Million became 2nd and Charles recently. I'm addicted to 2nd and Charles...I could literally spend all day there. That's where I was yesterday when I picked up the two books I referenced earlier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA. Pilgrim, on 24 January 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Our local Books A Million became 2nd and Charles recently. I'm addicted to 2nd and Charles...I could literally spend all day there. That's where I was yesterday when I picked up the two books I referenced earlier.

I hate it. They always seem to have 2 books of a 3 book trilogy, their organizational charts are a joke and the employees are limited to coffee makers and cashiers. Who ever is buying books seem to only want to buy slut novels and children's books.

When I buy books now its either eBay or goodwill. I have an excellent collection of James Michener novels, Bruce Canton civil war books and the best collection of books on the Anglo Boer wars around to go with 6 bookcases worth of random stuff in my library. The wife has every Charles Shultz related book (peanuts gang) and 4 authors complete works and bookshelves of slut novels in her library. Its funny if you go down stairs in our home to the pool room/man cave I put a desk from the 1820 in a side room, tore down a wall, had bookshelves made and added a 150 gallon saltwater tank to make a library. So the wife took her dressing room off the bedroom and put in a writing desk and added bookshelves and call it her library.

Redacted

A. Pilgrim

A. Pilgrim
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 24 January 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

I hate it. They always seem to have 2 books of a 3 book trilogy, their organizational charts are a joke and the employees are limited to coffee makers and cashiers. Who ever is buying books seem to only want to buy slut novels and children's books.

Well, I suppose I just don't buy many series as a whole. I typically buy the first, read it, then buy the second, and so forth. Most of the books I read, though, are not series. I've only read a few series (A Song of Ice and Fire, Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo, to name a few)

And as far as customer service- I've never had a problem with our local store. They've been very helpful every time I'm there, staying with me as I peruse the entire store to see if they have any of the list of books I take with me to check. Without their help, I'd never be able to find them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

8 NCs/46 SECs/27 SECTs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 22 January 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

Good lord man what have they done to you?
he's one of y'alls
Posted Image

"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA. Pilgrim, on 24 January 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Well, I suppose I just don't buy many series as a whole. I typically buy the first, read it, then buy the second, and so forth. Most of the books I read, though, are not series. I've only read a few series (A Song of Ice and Fire, Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo, to name a few)

And as far as customer service- I've never had a problem with our local store. They've been very helpful every time I'm there, staying with me as I peruse the entire store to see if they have any of the list of books I take with me to check. Without their help, I'd never be able to find them.
Prefer the development of story and characters that series give and in most cases I find it takes a trilogy to complete a story to its proper conclusion. Stand alone with no tie ins seem to leave me wanting more. And my preferred genres are historical fiction and SciFi fantasy and those stories tend to series. I think Bruce Canton set the tone for me in is non fiction trilogy on the army of the Potomac. It still is a center of my collection with my grandmothers first print of the three book set.

As for customer service of the only 2nd and Charles I have or likely will go into, it was hopeless. No one could point out where sections were, no one understood that the printed guides on the ends of the shelves were out of date, no one knew anything of value to me. I guess if I didn't go in looking for anything I could find something but I am more of a buyer than a shopper. I go into a place looking for something with the expectation of finding and buying it. 2nd and Charles is not set up that way. For instance I went in looking for historical non fiction on the religious wars of Europe circa 1500-1600. It would be reasonable to start a search in world history or military history or religious history. None of the guides on the end of the rows were remotely accurate, none of the employees knew where to find the sections, none of the employees knew if such information would even be found in the store. My last straw was over a copy of  the Slave Trade: the history of the Atlantic slave trade by Hugh Thomas, a book that is fairly common in used book stores. I loaned my copy out and it wasnt coming back so I needed to replace it. I called and asked if they had a copy and if I could pick it up on my way home. They said they had it and would pull a copy and hold it. When I got there to pick it up no one knew anything about it and they said they don't pull books and their employees where too busy etc. That was the last straw. I could get past the dirty want to be homeless hipsters of a used book store sipping on coffee like drinks and the dirty store and the hipster vibe of the place, I can get past the hit of miss on titles and series but I just can't deal with leaving shocked at piss poor service every time I walk in the building. Goodwill books is light years ahead of 2nd and Charles in Augusta.

Redacted

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHaymaker, on 23 January 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

I say, don't give a broad to show you the titties that she is gonna show you whether you give her money or not
It's cheaper to see them at the strip club. Any titties I can see for free IRL I probably wouldn't pay to see anyways.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
is the book "dick and jane" the adam and eve of books?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 22 January 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

Don't eat meat

Learn to speak French

Play soccer

PBR and NPR > SEC and NFL

Apple products rule

Drive a Mini

And for God's sake, don't be afraid to hold your boyfriend's hand when the scary part or the sad part of the movie comes on!!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Women, learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

Birthdays, Valentines, and Anniversaries are not considered by us to be opportunities to see if we can find the perfect present again!

Sometimes we are not thinking about you. Live with it.

Saturday = sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

Don't cut your hair. Ever. Long hair is always more attractive than short hair. One of the big reasons guys fear getting married is that married women always cut their hair, and by then you're stuck with her.

Ask for what you want. Subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work! Just say it!

We don't remember dates. . . .Period!!

Most guys own three pairs of shoes - tops. What makes you think we'd be any good at choosing which pair, out of thirty, would look good with your dress?

Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us. We've been tricked before!!

If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

Let us ogle. We are going to look anyway; it's genetic.

You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

Christopher Columbus did not need directions, and neither do we.

The relationship is never going to be like it was the first two months we were going out. Get over it. And quit whining to your girlfriends.

ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.

We are not mind readers and we never will be. Our lack of mind-reading ability is not proof of how little we care about you.

If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing", we will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as navel lint, the shotgun formation, or monster trucks.

Foreign films are best left to foreigners. (Unless it's Bruce Lee or some war flick where it doesn't really matter what they're saying anyway.)

BEER is as exciting for us as handbags are for you.

Thank you for reading this; Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight, but did you know, it's like camping.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 26 January 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Women, learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

Birthdays, Valentines, and Anniversaries are not considered by us to be opportunities to see if we can find the perfect present again!

Sometimes we are not thinking about you. Live with it.

Saturday = sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

Don't cut your hair. Ever. Long hair is always more attractive than short hair. One of the big reasons guys fear getting married is that married women always cut their hair, and by then you're stuck with her.

Ask for what you want. Subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work! Just say it!

We don't remember dates. . . .Period!!

Most guys own three pairs of shoes - tops. What makes you think we'd be any good at choosing which pair, out of thirty, would look good with your dress?

Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us. We've been tricked before!!

If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

Let us ogle. We are going to look anyway; it's genetic.

You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

Christopher Columbus did not need directions, and neither do we.

The relationship is never going to be like it was the first two months we were going out. Get over it. And quit whining to your girlfriends.

ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.

We are not mind readers and we never will be. Our lack of mind-reading ability is not proof of how little we care about you.

If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing", we will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as navel lint, the shotgun formation, or monster trucks.

Foreign films are best left to foreigners. (Unless it's Bruce Lee or some war flick where it doesn't really matter what they're saying anyway.)

BEER is as exciting for us as handbags are for you.

Thank you for reading this; Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight, but did you know, it's like camping.

The hair thing just pisses me off. My wife came back from visiting her sister yesterday with a lezbo haircut and started crying when I asked her why.

Redacted

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Stay positive,no matter what.

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The true measure of a man is not what he can accomplish when he's at his best, it's what he can accomplish when he's at his worst.
2013 SEC EAST CHAMPS.... M-I-Z!!!!

Posted Image