Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics




Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived


NFL should be FNL

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#16
hog_heaven

hog_heaven

    SECTalk's resident "Bro"

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    7,804
  • Joined:
    Jul 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    4,251

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 22 January 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

So you want the NCAA to be able to prevent athletes from using their talent to make millions of dollars for a set amount of time so that their schools, conference, and the NCAA can make millions off of them instead? Guys like Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, etc. are shining examples of the NCAA basketball required time before draft rule being unnecessary and unfair.

LOL... good to see you are still in douche mode. :trollface:

You can try to turn it on my all you want but this is what I meant. This generation of athletes think they're too entitled. They want to get paid right now and right out of High school. Did you see the ESPN 30 for 30 "Broke"? MAKE these kids get a college degree that they can fall back on when it turns out they are not the 2% that make serious money in the pros. MAKE these kids learn how to be adults and set them up for success later in life instead of handing a 18 year old millions of dollars. God knows I would have been horrible with that money just like most everyone would be.

As far as the "making money for the institution".... shut up. And I am sure if there was a rule that forced Cam Newton to stay an extra year, you wouldn't have been crying about the rules. Imagine if Charles Barkley was a 1 and done for Auburn. College basketball as a whole was so much better in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Remember, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar didn't even play his freshman year. The greatest player in UCLA history didn't play his freshman year because they didn't play freshman.

I understand there are the stories about guys that get hurt and never get to make their money, however those stories are few and fair between and they can use their degree to earn a living just like you and me.

#17
possumslayer

possumslayer

    Orange & White Supremacist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,144
  • Joined:
    Oct 2013
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    4,667
Vince Young..... chapter 11....

#18
hog_heaven

hog_heaven

    SECTalk's resident "Bro"

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    7,804
  • Joined:
    Jul 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    4,251

View Postpossumslayer, on 22 January 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Vince Young..... chapter 11....

Work with a teammate of his from Texas. He said he isn't surprised he failed at life one bit. Even if he would have became a multiple time Pro Bowl QB he would have pissed away money on something stupid like Michael Vick.

Apparently he didn't get along with him in college. LOL

#19
possumslayer

possumslayer

    Orange & White Supremacist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,144
  • Joined:
    Oct 2013
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    4,667

View Posthog_heaven, on 22 January 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:



Work with a teammate of his from Texas. He said he isn't surprised he failed at life one bit. Even if he would have became a multiple time Pro Bowl QB he would have pissed away money on something stupid like Michael Vick.

Apparently he didn't get along with him in college. LOL
like that guy says" you can't fix stupid but you can castrate him"...

#20
Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

    Redshirt

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    4,074
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,415

View Posthog_heaven, on 22 January 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

LOL... good to see you are still in douche mode. :trollface:

You can try to turn it on my all you want but this is what I meant. This generation of athletes think they're too entitled. They want to get paid right now and right out of High school. Did you see the ESPN 30 for 30 "Broke"? MAKE these kids get a college degree that they can fall back on when it turns out they are not the 2% that make serious money in the pros. MAKE these kids learn how to be adults and set them up for success later in life instead of handing a 18 year old millions of dollars. God knows I would have been horrible with that money just like most everyone would be.

As far as the "making money for the institution".... shut up. And I am sure if there was a rule that forced Cam Newton to stay an extra year, you wouldn't have been crying about the rules. Imagine if Charles Barkley was a 1 and done for Auburn. College basketball as a whole was so much better in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Remember, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar didn't even play his freshman year. The greatest player in UCLA history didn't play his freshman year because they didn't play freshman.

I understand there are the stories about guys that get hurt and never get to make their money, however those stories are few and fair between and they can use their degree to earn a living just like you and me.
It's the only mode I know!

Oh, they definitely think they're entitled, just like the rest of the country does, but the thing is... They kind of ARE entitled to use their own talents and skill to make money. That's what everyone else is allowed to do.

If Cam Newton would have stayed another year we'd still be stuck with Gene Chizik, so yeah, I'd be against that 100%. Obviously I'd have loved for Greg Robinson to stay at Auburn another year instead of going into this year's draft, but the dude's family is in absolute poverty and he's going to make millions. I can't blame him for not wanting his family to live another full year in poverty so I wish him the best despite leaving us. That's the situation a lot of players are in.

I think that rookies and first year players in MLB, NBA, and NFL should be going through some serious money management classes, have a veteran mentor who is always checking up on them and what they're doing with their free time, etc. but the players who are good enough to go pro after one year or two years are the players who are going to go first or second round anyway. They're GOING to be making millions. How fair is it to look these players in the eye and say, "Hey, you know, you could be making $5 million this year, but we're not going to let you because we're going to make you play for free one more year and there's nothing you can do about it."?
Just look at Jadeveon Clowney... Do you really think he was giving it his all this year? We he playing with 100% intensity and effort every game? Hell no, he was trying to stay healthy because he knows he's going top 5 no matter what.

I think players would be SMART to get a degree that they can use after football... But do we really need the NCAA forcing them to make decisions? I don't see that as any better than the government forcing people to buy or provide healthcare or forcing people to provide for the poor via high tax rates.

#21
WayzUp

WayzUp

    Cynical Optimist

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    7,125
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,500
If it wasn't for fantasy football & it being a good way to keep in touch with far away friends, I probably wouldn't even watch NFL.  The officiating has gotten so it has the feel of being as fixed as the NBA.

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?


#22
hog_heaven

hog_heaven

    SECTalk's resident "Bro"

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    7,804
  • Joined:
    Jul 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    4,251

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 23 January 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:


It's the only mode I know!

Oh, they definitely think they're entitled, just like the rest of the country does, but the thing is... They kind of ARE entitled to use their own talents and skill to make money. That's what everyone else is allowed to do.

If Cam Newton would have stayed another year we'd still be stuck with Gene Chizik, so yeah, I'd be against that 100%. Obviously I'd have loved for Greg Robinson to stay at Auburn another year instead of going into this year's draft, but the dude's family is in absolute poverty and he's going to make millions. I can't blame him for not wanting his family to live another full year in poverty so I wish him the best despite leaving us. That's the situation a lot of players are in.

I think that rookies and first year players in MLB, NBA, and NFL should be going through some serious money management classes, have a veteran mentor who is always checking up on them and what they're doing with their free time, etc. but the players who are good enough to go pro after one year or two years are the players who are going to go first or second round anyway. They're GOING to be making millions. How fair is it to look these players in the eye and say, "Hey, you know, you could be making $5 million this year, but we're not going to let you because we're going to make you play for free one more year and there's nothing you can do about it."?
Just look at Jadeveon Clowney... Do you really think he was giving it his all this year? We he playing with 100% intensity and effort every game? Hell no, he was trying to stay healthy because he knows he's going top 5 no matter what.

I think players would be SMART to get a degree that they can use after football... But do we really need the NCAA forcing them to make decisions? I don't see that as any better than the government forcing people to buy or provide healthcare or forcing people to provide for the poor via high tax rates.

I agree with everything you said 100%. I was talking about Basketball in my original post saying I wish they would adapt a rule like football.

#23
Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

    Redshirt

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    4,074
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,415

View Posthog_heaven, on 24 January 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I agree with everything you said 100%. I was talking about Basketball in my original post saying I wish they would adapt a rule like football.

OK, my bad, I see that now... I misread it as the opposite - football adopting basketball's rules. I think I had the rules flopped around in my head though because for some reason I thought basketball players were required to stay longer than football players. Shows how much I watch college basketball...


Still, IMO in a perfect world there ought to be no rules... A guy like Clowney could've come out after one year and he'd have been fine in the NFL. Obviously he wouldn't be as ready as he is now, but he'd have been ready. I just don't like any institution telling players that they have the ability to earn millions of dollars but are required to do it for free first.