Why Isn't Kentucky Football Better? - Page 2 - Kentucky Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Why Isn't Kentucky Football Better?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I agree with SECats its recruiting. Like Tennessee.. Kentucky doesn't have a lot of in state talent so they would need a coach to recruit nationwide to ever get talent in there that could compete. They may pick up a few players here and there but they haven't had that kind of coaching in longer than I can remember.

"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Where to begin with this one?  Currently riding shotgun in Columbus on the way to Rochester.  Looking out for Zartan, but I don't see any red hammer and sickle flags flying high from the interstate.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Not only does UK football have to compete with other SEC schools for players that want to play in the South or the SEC specifically, it also has to compete with storied Big 10 teams for the dwindling talent in the North and Midwest.

UF has proven that a school can have both a strong football and basketball program; but it is still quite difficult since most Southern sports fans aren't really into basketball nearly as much as football.

UK was fortunate enough to stake its claim on good basketball early with a great coach; and the areas in and around Indiana and the rest of the Midwest produced tons of talent early on and established itself as a mecca for the sport.

But even at UK the football team makes far more than the basketball team; but I don't think the average UK fan even realizes it.

Last year UK football brought in $30,526,981; basketball earned $23,948,221. http://ope.ed.gov/at...1333a353520414d
Posted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Everyone knows that football is the real cash cow but that basketball is the headline sport.

Tennessee has had great coaches that were able to steal southern talent at a pretty good clip until recently.  This "recently" has been some of the worst UT Football teams in history.

UF is great in athletics and they are because of the rich talent pool in their state.  If a school was only allowed to sign "in state" players...Florida would be at the top of the list of great teams.

It's easy to improve your basketball team.  One great recruiting class and BOOM you're there (especially when the coach has the lure of the UK program...it's just different)...see UK from '08-'09 to '09-'10.  In other words...even if Stoops is a great coach, it will take him 2-3 more years of Top 20 classes to compete anywhere near the top of the SEC.

It took Cal one month.

Edited by SECats, 17 January 2014 - 05:16 AM.

2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
yep, basketball is a "just add water" dinner. sometimes just one recruit can send you from being ranked 50 all the way up to 15.

maybe yall should recruit west Virginia more.

http://r.ddmcdn.com/...onster_team.jpg

Du-te la dracu 'LSU

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Same reason most schools aren't...talent and coaching. That's not to say Stoops wont do well, but in the past that has been the problem. Joker seemed like a good choice to maintain the stability and momentum, but he just didn't work out. Theres no reason UK can't be a top 20 team, but even if they are they may not be ranked that high just because of the competition they'll see each year.

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 17 January 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

Same reason most schools aren't...talent and coaching. That's not to say Stoops wont do well, but in the past that has been the problem. Joker seemed like a good choice to maintain the stability and momentum, but he just didn't work out. Theres no reason UK can't be a top 20 team, but even if they are they may not be ranked that high just because of the competition they'll see each year.

Something most people outside the conference just don't understand.  It takes YEARS of sustained outstanding coaching/ recruiting to make any headway at all.  Look at USC as an example....it took them a while and they are close and they have a better talent pool.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
back to the pool again? get a booster to hire somebody to go from school to school and find the meanest bastards in junior high, pay the teachers to pass them cause those are the ones that don't make it to high school anyway and develop a new mentality towards football.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 17 January 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Not only does UK football have to compete with other SEC schools for players that want to play in the South or the SEC specifically, it also has to compete with storied Big 10 teams for the dwindling talent in the North and Midwest.

UF has proven that a school can have both a strong football and basketball program; but it is still quite difficult since most Southern sports fans aren't really into basketball nearly as much as football.

UK was fortunate enough to stake its claim on good basketball early with a great coach; and the areas in and around Indiana and the rest of the Midwest produced tons of talent early on and established itself as a mecca for the sport.

But even at UK the football team makes far more than the basketball team; but I don't think the average UK fan even realizes it.

Last year UK football brought in $30,526,981; basketball earned $23,948,221. http://ope.ed.gov/at...1333a353520414d
They do realize it.  We've been conditioned to accept mediocre football, we've had UK, the Bengals, and before they came around, the Browns.  As long as basketball was good, the fans were happy with football being a tailgating event and nothing more.  Then Coach Brooks came along, not much longer after Couch took us to the Outback Bowl, and started producing  consistently competitive teams.  6-7 wins became realistic and we saw that this program could do more than just that.  Joker Posted Imageed it all up and the fans finally showed they gave a damn about winning.  Joker is a Kentucky boy who ended the Tennessee and South Carolina streaks. In Bill Curry's day, the good old boy network would've gotten him a lifetime extension for that.  

The difference between Kentucky and Tennessee in football is they have historically made a commitment to football and we have not after Coach Bryant left when he felt like the administration wasn't giving him the level he wanted.  Vols and Cats both produce little SEC caliber talent, so Vols have always had it easier to take guys we're after.  Stoops has shown intelligence and is walking into high schools in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and in the mid west and getting those guys to come down South to play SEC football.

I have repeatedly said on here Stoops gets a pass through 2015.  We need to be beating Vandy, Mississippi State, and Tennessee if they continue to look as awful as they have.  With Bobby P back in cahoots with the Dirty Birds, the stakes have been raised tenfold. The rivalry is as tense and hateful as I can recall right now.

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 17 January 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

yep, basketball is a "just add water" dinner. sometimes just one recruit can send you from being ranked 50 all the way up to 15.

maybe yall should recruit west Virginia more.

http://r.ddmcdn.com/...onster_team.jpg
West Virginians are a different breed.  Most are fiercely loyal to their state, and with the exception of a small Marshall contingent on our eastern border, that state is Mountaineer from head to toe. Getting a stud HS WV recruit to go anywhere other than Morgantown ain't an easy task.  From a Kentuckian's perspective, I'd much rather we swap them with ATM.
Posted Image

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 17 January 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

back to the pool again? get a booster to hire somebody to go from school to school and find the meanest bastards in junior high, pay the teachers to pass them cause those are the ones that don't make it to high school anyway and develop a new mentality towards football.

AKA, the Ole Miss method. :trollface:
Posted Image

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Doesn't UK pretty well dominate that state when they're halfway decent? I wouldn't think Louisville would have that big of a following.
Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 17 January 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Doesn't UK pretty well dominate that state when they're halfway decent? I wouldn't think Louisville would have that big of a following.
As much as i hate to say it, Jurich is simply a better AD than Barnhart. He finds great football coaches and they work out more often than not. They have Pitino and Petrino right now. Pretty damn impressive and that's why he one of the highest paid AD's in the country.

Not to hate on Barnhart some more but hiring Cal was pretty damn simple a monkey could of figured it out. All Cal had to do was come in and show him the recruiting class he was bringing with him. Talk about being spoon fed an easy find.

Edited by UK4Life, 17 January 2014 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've never been much of a Barnhart fan. He doesn't take football seriously and prefers to find the easy hire. Why he promised Joker the job is beyond me. I know Brooks asked him to but that doesn't mean he has to give in. Yea he was a decent OC on a 8 win team but why the hell wouldn't you target a coordinator at a school that has had lots of success. Stoops is a logical hire because he is dedicated to recruiting and actually coached at a FOOTBALL school.

/rant over
Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 17 January 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

AKA, the Ole Miss method. :trollface:

that was the nutt method. things are different now.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users