Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs Might Claim More National Championships

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
lololol.....

PASADENA, California - There are two parts to this national championship business.
Part One: Winning them.
Part Two: Recognizing them and celebrating them.
Auburn’s been better at the first part than the second part, but AD Jay Jacobs plans to change that.
At the moment, the school gives full recognition as national champions to its undefeated 1957 team, which won the AP title, and its unbeaten 2010 team, which won the BCS championship, but other Auburn teams have been named national champions by various selectors.
Jacobs said Auburn has been studying the subject, and there’s a good chance you’ll see other special teams from the past earn the same recognition from the school itself. He wants input on the subject from Auburn fans.
“I think we should go back and claim them,” he said. “I think we should count our national championships just as our peers do.”
The most likely candidates to be added to Auburn’s honor roll, according to the AD: 1910, 1913, 1914, 1983 and 2004.
Along with 1957 and 2010, that would give Auburn seven national championships with a chance tonight in the BCS Championship Game against Florida State to earn No. 8.
Jacobs himself played on Pat Dye’s 1983 team, which finished 11-1 after winning the SEC title and the Sugar Bowl and was named national champion by the New York Times.
“That one’s a little personal to me,” Jacobs said.
Tommy Tuberville’s 2004 team went 13-0, won the SEC and finished No. 2 in the AP and USA Today polls, but was shut out of a chance to play in the BCS Championship Game. USC won that game big over Oklahoma, but the BCS later stripped the Trojans of the title because of NCAA violations that included playing an ineligible player in Reggie Bush.
The BCS declined to name anyone as champion in USC’s place.
You’ll notice one of Auburn’s undefeated teams not on Jacobs’ list. It’s Terry Bowden’s 1993 team, which went 11-0 but was denied a chance to play in the SEC Championship Game and a bowl game because of NCAA probation from the Dye regime.
For that reason, Jacobs said, “the only one that gives me a little pause is 1993,” even though the National Championship Foundation named Auburn as a champion for that season retroactively.
“What you don’t want to do is make somebody think you’re making something up,” Jacobs said. “But if other schools are claiming their championships, why shouldn’t we claim ours?”
Alabama didn’t start recognizing some of its earliest national championship teams until the early 1980s, a move spearheaded by then-sports information director Wayne Atcheson. He claimed five titles from the pre-Bear Bryant years. Alabama now claims 15 total national championships.
A year ago, Texas A&M claimed national titles for 1919 and 1927 to bring the school’s total to three.
The whole debate can get a little silly. National titles have been awarded before bowl games and after bowl losses. They’ve been awarded decades after the fact when certain organizations went back and crunched the numbers.
If someone with some credibility has named your school a national champion, why not hang a banner and hand out rings?
“Let’s get them all championship rings,” Jacobs said. “That’s what I say. Why not?”

Edited by CrimsoNation713, 14 January 2014 - 08:58 PM.

"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It's OK to laugh at this story, but not if you're an Alabama fan

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Auburn isn't going to stoop to Bama levels, but at least if we did, all of our claims would be more legit than Bama's 1941 claim.

shamoan

shamoan

I am a double-major in sticks and mud.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
i would be 1000% (in my case, that is 100% possible) behind msu claiming both '40 and '41.  er'h body else is doing in, so why shouldnt we.  there can only be 1 national champion, if by nothing else, by definition alone, but that said, i want my championships.  they would look nice up in the davis wade stadium new expansion.  that would be tight.

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postshamoan, on 14 January 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

i would be 1000% (in my case, that is 100% possible) behind msu claiming both '40 and '41.  er'h body else is doing in, so why shouldnt we.  there can only be 1 national champion, if by nothing else, by definition alone, but that said, i want my championships.  they would look nice up in the davis wade stadium new expansion.  that would be tight.

Y'all have a more legit claim to 1941 than Bama does... Considering y'all beat Bama, had a better record, and won the SEC...

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
In Jacobs defense, he's just trying to get Auburn back into the headlines.  Must be embarrassing that the greatest turnaround in NCAA football history has been swept aside by Alabama assistant coach drama.

#trollhard
Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 14 January 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

It's OK to laugh at this story, but not if you're an Alabama fan
as sanctimonious as some of the barner pricks have been about it...yeah, I can
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCrimsoNation713, on 14 January 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

as sanctimonious as some of the barner pricks have been about it...yeah, I can

Even if we were to do that, you wouldn't see those of us who LOL at y'all going around claiming them, and even if we do (to piss y'all off), to my knowledge we didn't LOSE our bowl game in any of those years, more specifically we didn't lose our bowl game to the team we claim a championship over, and we didn't finish 3rd in the SEC in any of those years.

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 14 January 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Even if we were to do that, you wouldn't see those of us who LOL at y'all going around claiming them, and even if we do (to piss y'all off), to my knowledge we didn't LOSE our bowl game in any of those years, more specifically we didn't lose our bowl game to the team we claim a championship over, and we didn't finish 3rd in the SEC in any of those years.

Doesn't mean a damn thing how much we "claim", they'll always have 2, 3, 4 times as many as Auburn. And there is nothing you can say, or rap about it.

Posted Image

HFS

HFS

Everything is so Shakespeare to these Hoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This has been in the works for a few years now. Auburn fans have been trying to say we can legitimately claim 6 or 7, but I think the 1913 one is the only one with an overly legitimate claim.
Posted Image
Formerly known as HardFightinSoldier

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Break out the old poll names, time to eat some crow.

Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 14 January 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

paint it any way u want Vanilla Ice

-- Derrick Thomas

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Even Jacobs the AD is eat up with Little Brother lol..
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We claim 1984 then.
Screw BYU.

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 06 January 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostSECorBust, on 06 January 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Good for them.  I have a lot of Auburn-fan-friends that struggled last season and they deserve something bright to look at.  I really don't want to hear any BS though.  I didn't hardly rib anyone after that abomination last season and they were one stupid Georgia player away from the Capital One Bowl.

Auburn gets a shot at the BCS NCG again this year.  There's been so much hate from those fans against it since 2004.  They really should have to take back much of what they said against the BCS to be able to claim the championship - should they win.

Hahahaha.  Tidbit of insider info here.  The Auburn Athletics Department is considering whether to back count championships should they win so all the hypocritical BS about Bama back-counting is eagle egg on their face.
sorry dude that insider info is about a year old.   AND  im guessing the university is too proud to claim  what  they have a good case to claim. Bama on the other hand...

+ Link to article just because improperly cited material kills me.
http://www.al.com/au...a_national.html

Link to previous discussion about it.
http://www.sectalk.c...ng/page__st__15

Edited by SECorBust, 15 January 2014 - 07:46 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users