Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

So I'm studying abroad this summer... And need suggestions

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 14 January 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Scratch Switzerland off the list if you actually want to eat.  To say it's expensive is an understatement.  Here's a rundown of some of the meals we had:

1. Lunch @ Brewpub:  Pastrami Sandwich, Hamburger, 2X fries, 2X cokes - Total including tip $95
2. Dinner @ cheap Chinese joint: Chicken fried rice, sweet n sour chicken, fruit, coke, water - Total including tip $85
3. Breakfast @ cafe: Bread plate, 2X coffee - Total including tip $45
You ARE right about the food in Switzerland. Its expensive. At least in zurich, Lucerne, etc. Although @nova I hope you didn't tip them at every meal. we tipped our first stop 20% and she came running out of the cafe trying to give it back. Tipping isn't the norm there, save maybe a couple coins on the table. The average waitress there makes a minimum of the equivalent of $35,000 or so.
Posted Image

MerlinsJizzSack

MerlinsJizzSack

en fuego

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

View Postjacobp, on 14 January 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

THIS. Switizerland is pretty centrally located, and you can take weekend trips to basically anywhere in Europe from there for a nominal free. between the rail system and cheap flights from Ryan Air, that's what I would do if I were going for the summer. That said, my preference would be to study abroad for the fall or spring semester. Gives you more time. Most summer programs are, what, a few weeks?

Yeah I'm going for 3-4 weeks

Swayze Field - Oxford University Stadium

Posted Image

The best damned college baseball experience in the land

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'd want my base to be near a major city then, or IN the city. That way if you're like "Posted Image it" I'm going to Prague this weekend, you're close to a major rail station or airport. Ryan Air is no joke. when my wife studied in London the last time she flew round trip to Rome for like $14
Posted Image

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 14 January 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

You ARE right about the food in Switzerland. Its expensive. At least in zurich, Lucerne, etc. Although @nova I hope you didn't tip them at every meal. we tipped our first stop 20% and she came running out of the cafe trying to give it back. Tipping isn't the norm there, save maybe a couple coins on the table. The average waitress there makes a minimum of the equivalent of $35,000 or so.

I was familiar with that practice so our tips were only a a couple francs at the most.  The vast majority of those bills was food only...

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 14 January 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

I was familiar with that practice so our tips were only a a couple francs at the most.  The vast majority of those bills was food only...

Yeah we definitely had some sticker shock at the food.
Posted Image

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We've been to Ireland and Greece.  Either would be super.  Probably safer in Ireland at this particular time, however.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sometimes mistaken for the Legendary Geaux

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 14 January 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

I know it's not on your list, but my #1 choice would be the Czech Republic  (especially Prague) or Austria.  We loved those two locales when we went, especially Prague.  Lots to do, cheap to eat and drink and not that we got involved it seemed like the night life was lively with a very favorable chick/dude ratio.  It seemed like nice looking women were roaming everywhere in Prague.

Of your list I'd say the Greek Isles.  I've never been but it's #1A on my list for our next Eurotrip along with #1B Italy.  People talk about traveling around to different places while you're there, but really if I was in the Greek Isles, I'd stay put.  Far too much to see and do there to travel too far.

I think Switzerland has the highest standard of living in the world if I am not mistaken. Plus, the German they speak isn't even really German. Hell, German's don't understand it.
Hail State anyway.

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 14 January 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Yeah we definitely had some sticker shock at the food.

I tallied it up at the end, we spent nearly as much on food in 3 days in Switzerland as we did the other 12 days of the trip combined.

View Post1dawgfan09, on 14 January 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

I think Switzerland has the highest standard of living in the world if I am not mistaken. Plus, the German they speak isn't even really German. Hell, German's don't understand it.

I was able to get by with my fragmented German plus English pretty easily in the eastern part of the country.  Where I had problems was Geneva where they speak French and basically only French.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 14 January 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

I tallied it up at the end, we spent nearly as much on food in 3 days in Switzerland as we did the other 12 days of the trip combined.

I was able to get by with my fragmented German plus English pretty easily in the eastern part of the country.  Where I had problems was Geneva where they speak French and basically only French.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut. lol I was trying to have a very broken conversation with a Swiss woman once. I had to have her repeat some things very slowly. lol
Hail State anyway.

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Switzerland get's my vote. It's great in the summer, lots to see, lots to do, great transit system, good food.

Crimson Kicker8

Crimson Kicker8

Formerly known as Crimson Kicker8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Never been to Prague, but I was in Oslava for a weekend.  When the girls find out you're an American.......watch out.
Posted Image

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm not going back until I can stay a month or so. I went to England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, and Italy with my wife and another couple. Lots of site seeing and not near enough golf for me I wanna go back and just play golf.

The second time my job sent me to Germany it was pretty much all business besides a little night life but the dorks I was with made it less than enjoyable.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Greece is having a bit of a financial crisis right now so I would avoid it. Ireland loses its luster pretty quick. The educational benefits and travel ability of Sweden would get my vote.

Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
double check your carry on bag before boarding anything while not on u s soil. people stash things on you without you knowing.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Don't ever study a broad.  Hit it and forget it

Posted Image