What are college football's top 25 teams for 2014? - Page 7 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 7

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

What are college football's top 25 teams for 2014?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

shamoan

shamoan

Omaha bound.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 15 January 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

What got you so confident?

im loving the schedule:

southern miss
uab
@ south alabama
@ lsu (still expect to lose, but they will be rebuilding, so im cautiously optimistic)
aTm (minus johnny manziel, game in starkville)
auburn (always close with auburn, game in starkville)
@ uk
arkansas
ut martin
@ alabama (probable loss as usual)
vandy (minus franklin, game in starkville)
@ ole miss

outside of ole miss, all the sec games that are within reach will be in starkville (aTm, auburn, vandy, arkansas) and we have some given road wins...or probable road wins (@ uk) and a toss-up road game (@ ole miss).

from a msu perspective, this is the type of schedule that comes around very rarely.  its the winged purple unicorns of schedules.

4 guaranteed ooc wins
uk (likely w)
arkansas (likely w)
3 toss-up sec games at HOME
@ ole miss (toss up imo as of right now)
2 probable losses (@ lsu, @ alabama)

its looking really good in my opinion and has for a while now.  i was eyeballing this schedule last season and pointing to this year as the one that (IF we make a run, it might be the perfect year for it) might legitimize what we have been working for over the last 5 years.

on top of that, dak prescott has me really wooly right now and his command of the offense is really impressive.  sadly, i also we get some addition by subtraction at runningback (jrob for perkins...and i flinch saying that because perk was really good, just not the type we needed to run the dan mullen offense), jameon lewis is returning as an upperclassman, all our green true freshman receivers return with some experience, we return most of our d line, we return an outstanding linebacking corp, we return all 4 starters in the secondary on a defense that made some impressive strides in the last 1/3 of the season.  assuming we stay healthy, i just dont see how anything less than 7-5 is possible....best case scenario, 10-2 with an outside shot at an upset in baton rouge, most likely scenario it will be a 9 win regular season.

some state fans get a little crazy from time to time on predictions, but as a self-proclaimed realist, this has me salivating.  whether or not i am a true realist has yet to be seen, but i feel like this could be THE ever elusive mythical year.  the stars are lining up that way imo.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWDavE, on 08 January 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

Here are preseason composite rankings for 2014 from Athlon Sports, Bleacher Report,ESPN, CBS Cports, USA Today, Lost Letterman and Outkick the Coverage. These are all I have seen so far.

1) Florida State-   200
2) Alabama-   185
3) Auburn-   179
4) Oregon-   174
5) Stanford-   164
6) Ohio State-   157
7) Michigan State-   145
8) Oklahoma-   138
9t) UCLA-   135
9t) Baylor-   135
11) LSU-   127
12) S. Carolina-   101
13) Georgia-   87
14) Missouri-   82
15) USC-   80
16) Wisconsin-   77
17) Arizona State-   65
18) Clemson-   59
19) Texas A&M-   47
20t) Ole Miss-   41
20t) Notre Dame-   41
22) Central Florida-   36
23) Oklahoma State-   32
24) Washington-   29
25) Louisville-   17
26) N. Carolina-   11
27) Nebraska-   10
28t) Texas-   7
28t) Vanderbilt-   7
30t) Iowa-   5
30t) Oregon St.-   5
30t) Florida-   5
30t) Duke-   5
34t) Kansas State-   4
34t) Miami-   4
36) Minnesota-   2
37t) Michigan-   1
37t) BYU-   1

Oklahoma State is losing 27 seniors. Plus their best player Stewart is going pro. No way on earth they are a top 25 team.....they won't be for sure after the Seminoles beat them by 50 in Jerry's World.
Bedlam.jpg
#11 OKLAHOMA SOONERS 45
#3 Alabama 31

Next vs La Tech 8/30/14
84-17-7 Bedlam Record- Most One Sided In-State Rivalry in College Football
540- weeks ranked in AP top 10- most ever
383 - weeks ranked in AP top 5- most ever
101- weeks ranked #1 in AP poll- most ever
153- 1st Team All Americans
47 game winning streak- longest in FBS history

48 Bowl Games (28-18-1)
44- Conference Titles (8 Big 12)
35- 10 win seasons- Most in FBS history
21-11 win seasons Most in FBS history
12 losing seasons- fewest in college football
7 AP National Titles
5 Heisman Winners
4- Only school with 4 coaches with 100+ wins

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My best guess is we will not crack the top 25 this year.I know I'm going out on a limb here,but I just have a feeling.

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 13 January 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Where is this DL depth you speak of?

On our depth chart.

We never really noticed any dropoff in performance when our second and third string DL was in last year and most have some experience. Second only to defensive backs, we send DL to the NFL on a regular basis.

Superman never made any money

Saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man

Like him

Formerly known as bmccall

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJohnRambo, on 15 January 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

On our depth chart.

We never really noticed any dropoff in performance when our second and third string DL was in last year and most have some experience. Second only to defensive backs, we send DL to the NFL on a regular basis.

Sooner or later, play will drop off. The gravy train cant go on forever. Norwood to Ingram to Clowney was about as good as succession can get. English better grow in the offseason if he is gonna start.

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 15 January 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Sooner or later, play will drop off. The gravy train cant go on forever. Norwood to Ingram to Clowney was about as good as succession can get. English better grow in the offseason if he is gonna start.

And yet those three aren't Travian Robertson, john abraham, Devin Taylor and more who are all in tge NFL. Just because those three linemen are  the only ones you know the name of does not mean they were the only good successful linemen we have had over time.

Btw Clowney can't be the pinnacle of linemen for us, he is garbage and overrated remember?

Also even if they arent as good as the year before last or last year that still does not mean that our line will be bad nor that I should list that as a legitimate position of concern.

Edited by JohnRambo, 15 January 2014 - 08:22 PM.

Like him

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJohnRambo, on 15 January 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

And yet those three aren't Travian Robertson, john abraham, Devin Taylor and more who are all in tge NFL. Just because those three linemen are  the only ones you know the name of does not mean they were the only good successful linemen we have had over time.

Btw Clowney can't be the pinnacle of linemen for us, he is garbage and overrated remember?

Also even if they arent as good as the year before last or last year that still does not mean that our line will be bad nor that I should list that as a legitimate position of concern.

We bring in 4* D-linemen every year and develop them. That along with our S&C means I feel pretty good about our D-line. Will it be as good as the 2013 version?? Almost certainly not. But it'll be damn good.

We lost Norwood and people stepped up. Lost Ingram and Robertson but Jerideux stepped up. Lost Jerideux and Quarles stepped up. Lost Taylor and Sutton stepped up. Not to mention people forget our secondary was much better in 11 and 12, so a lot of the coverage sacks weren't there in 2013 like they were before. Next season they'll have a lot more experience behind the line, which will help.

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJohnRambo, on 15 January 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

I didnt realize SC's sack numbers went down so much from 2012 to 2013, and the top 3 pass rushers are gone. I guess I should bring up Champ Baily when discussing our 2014 secondary.  I say that because bringing up a player who last played for SC in 1999 is reaching big time.

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 15 January 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

I didnt realize SC's sack numbers went down so much from 2012 to 2013, and the top 3 pass rushers are gone. I guess I should bring up Champ Baily when discussing our 2014 secondary.  I say that because bringing up a player who last played for SC in 1999 is reaching big time.

What about the fact that I have seen these people who are going to be starting next year are very good? Or since I saw them play last season and not next season that wouldn't work either?

The only thing that will satisfy you is if every fan of every team says they have no potential strengths except for you and your team. Seems logical.

Like him

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJohnRambo, on 15 January 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

What about the fact that I have seen these people who are going to be starting next year are very good? Or since I saw them play last season and not next season that wouldn't work either?

The only thing that will satisfy you is if every fan of every team says they have no potential strengths except for you and your team. Seems logical.

Every team has question marks besides both SC and Mizzou losing studs on the DL. I have learned that much so far this offseason.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 15 January 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Like I said we missed out on a lot of coverage sacks due to our young secondary....and you seem to be forgetting we were still ranked 11th in total defense. You know why? Because even though we replaced our linebackers and tons of players in the secondary we had people step up. I know that's hard for a UGA fan to understand, but it actually happens on some teams.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJohnRambo, on 15 January 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

This is coming from a fan of a team where half the fanbase thinks a 1st year starter is going to be better than the guy who holds basically every school record for QBs.

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 15 January 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Like I said we missed out on a lot of coverage sacks due to our young secondary....and you seem to be forgetting we were still ranked 11th in total defense. You know why? Because even though we replaced our linebackers and tons of players in the secondary we had people step up. I know that's hard for a UGA fan to understand, but it actually happens on some teams.

SC has gone from 3rd to 11th to 19th in total D from 2011 to 2013. Will the trend continue downward?

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 15 January 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

This is coming from a fan of a team where half the fanbase thinks a 1st year starter is going to be better than the guy who holds basically every school record for QBs.

I doubt even a tenth of the fan base thinks that after our past 2 games.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 15 January 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

SC has gone from 3rd to 11th to 19th in total D from 2011 to 2013. Will the trend continue downward?
I'll be surprised if we aren't top 20 in total defense next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users