Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

UF to hire Duke OC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Eh. I couldn't see UF being as bad as they were this year no matter what happened

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Florida hires a coach from Duke?

<Insert predictable Spurrier reference here>

bmccall, on 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Our phenominal fan base and support is our tradition. Unfortunately winning isnt.

Alabama claims the 1941 season as a national championship, even though they finished the season with a 9-2 record, including losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, and were ranked #20 in the final AP poll.

I rape and pillage your village, women and children - Jay Z, Obama's BFF

Posted Image

“Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets.” -Ron Paul

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It may work but you have to think anyone interviewing knew this is more than likely a make or break year. Another year like Florida just had and the new OC and Muschamp are looking for a job.

I don't know what the recruiting classes as far as QB have looked like for Florida and what they have on roster but this may be a year to pull an Auburn and find an experienced signal caller at the Juco level.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

gatoraus

gatoraus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think it's a good hire personally. For whatever reason, I've watched some Duke football games this year and have thought the offense looked pretty good. There were some names tossed around that I wouldn't have been happy with, but I think this one is a solid hire.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Foley is committed to Muschamp; he thinks he's the right guy to build the program long-term, so next year isn't even a make or break year.

That being the case, he will be giving the new OC, OL, and ST coaches time to install the new offense and get acclimated without the threat that their contracts might only be good for 1 year... they'll get their time to make it work.

I think any winning season with noticeable improvements on offense will keep everyone employed; and if they can avoid 15 season-ending injuries, 10 of them starters, plus another half-dozen less serious like this past year, those are realistic goals.

With Grier coming in and enrolling early, I'm excited to see what Roper can build with a guy that should only have a single OC and QB coach.

Driskel should profit from Roper's experience too as long as he can pick up what Roper's installing... Roper's up-tempo spread offense is actually more suitable to what Driskel does well, so we'll see.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 26 December 2013 - 08:18 AM.

Posted Image

GatorNation

GatorNation
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I hope he runs the spread.  That's not what he ran at Ole Miss.

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

United We Stand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTitans4Vols, on 24 December 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

If this guy is Cutcliffe made over, you should be ecstatic. I'd argue there's not a better combination of play caller/QB coach in the country than Cutcliffe, and Cutcliffe was the sole reason Fulmer wasn't fired sooner, when he came back in 06 and 07, turning around the trainwreck that was our 2005 offense. If mentoring Peyton and Eli isn't enough of a vote of confidence for his offensive mind, just check the turnaround he made from the 2005 Vols offense to our 06 and 07 offenses, in specific the improvement of Erik Ainge. Ole Miss was stupid to fire Cutcliffe, too, so I'm not really sure that's the best thing to use against him. It's not like it's easy to build a winner at Ole Miss, and Cutcliffe got them to a 10 win season.

If this guy has been calling plays/learning under Cutcliffe like Shaun says, I'm not sure there's a better hire that could have been made. Florida may very well have a homerun hire.

Posted Image

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorNation, on 26 December 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

I hope he runs the spread.  That's not what he ran at Ole Miss.

He ran what Cutcliffe was teaching him to run at Ole Miss, and wasn't even the OC until the very end of his OM career... he was the QB coach and then the QB coach and passing game coordinator for most of it.

That was a decade ago, but even then they were experimenting with some spread ideas, like stretching the field and having the QB run often (much like they had done with T. Martin at UT when they won the NC) because they had just lost Eli, a pocket passer, to the NFL. A quote from a 2004 Cutcliffe interview...

Q: On our offense with Micheal (Spurlock) as quarterback.
A: We are going to move the football more with him. We will move the pocket. He is a threat to run the football. Micheal is a great part of that package. Along with our other quarterbacks, we think that we have that capability at that position. I think it will be fun and exciting for our offensive staff, as we head into a new era. That is why it is so important to show that we can execute and execute well early.

Q: How much can you incorporate Micheal into the running game without getting him killed?
A: Quarterbacks that run the ball are certainly targets, and we are going to use him. We do have others we can use that can play that type of football. We wouldn't be able to go in that direction if we didn't have a back up that was able to go in that direction as well. We are still going to protect him, he won't run like a fullback, he needs to run like a quarterback meaning he can avoid as many hits as possible when he gets in those situations.

Q: On being back in the "football" swing of things.
A: It felt good to get the players back yesterday. Their excitement and enthusiasm is contagious, and they are excited about the opportunity. It is time to focus on football and it will be fun to get back on the field this evening.

Q: How much will this year be like at Tennessee, the year after Peyton?
A: Spurlock and T. Martin are similar athletes, so yes in some regards, we will draw on some of the things we did with that type of quarterback in our offense. But, we have taken it another step. Micheal will be more involved than what we did in 1998 with T.

From that same interview it appears Roper did in fact call the plays himself by that time...

Q: Who's all involved in that process?
A: Kurt Roper has the responsibility of calling the play itself. The entire offensive staff develops game plans. Kurt starts the process from the pressbox by signaling the play down to the field. Then coach Woods and the quarterback have options based on what is signaled.  

I'm pretty sure, like most good OC's, he runs what his personnel dictates. Good OC's cater their offenses to the talent at hand, rather than trying to force a square peg in a round hole and make players ill-suited to a particular offense run it anyway.

Remember when Meyer and Mullen came to UF, they said they could only install about 60% of their offense for the first couple of years because of the players they were left; so our offense in '05 and '06 was a hybrid.

The Duke offense this past season has been described the same way, with some conventional, some spread, and some up-tempo/no huddle aspects.

http://www.olemisssp.../080904aaf.html
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorNation, on 25 December 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

No doubt Roper isn't an idiot.  But that's not the question...can he do what Weis, Pease, and Addazio couldn't?  Sure, it's possible, and it's likely the offense will be better---I agree, it can't get any worse---but will it be good enough in one off-season to save an entire coaching staff?

I could be wrong, but I really doubt it.

I know you're upset, but what sort of home-run hire did you have in mind?
No matter who it was, it was going to be underwhelming.

Muschamp already did the flashiest of all assistant hires when he got Charlies Weis, and that fatass didn't do anything.
If Roper is good, we will have a good team next year. If he isn't any good, we won't have a good team and the house will be cleaned.
There are only 2 scenarios.

I'm indifferent to the hire until things go very well or very bad.
Muschamp either learned from making 2 poor choices or he didn't.
We will know in less than a year.

GatorNation

GatorNation
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 26 December 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I know you're upset, but what sort of home-run hire did you have in mind?
No matter who it was, it was going to be underwhelming.

Muschamp already did the flashiest of all assistant hires when he got Charlies Weis, and that fatass didn't do anything.
If Roper is good, we will have a good team next year. If he isn't any good, we won't have a good team and the house will be cleaned.
There are only 2 scenarios.

I'm indifferent to the hire until things go very well or very bad.
Muschamp either learned from making 2 poor choices or he didn't.
We will know in less than a year.

I am upset.  I think WM totally rushed it when he should have really done his homework, taken his time, and seriously explored every possible option.  And after all that, particularly after Weis and Pease, he should have second- and third-guessed himself.  Instead, we hire the Duke OC before Christmas.

Fing fantastic.

Maybe Roper is the diamond-in-the-rough guy.  Maybe we'll be a mediocre, middle-of-the-pack east team for a number of years until we do get the right people running the show.  GU thinks WM is here for the long haul.  He's probably right, though that really shocks me considering how brutally awful we were this season.  Even with the injuries, we should have been able to preserve some of the streaks---e.g., no FCS losses, Vandy circa 1945, consecutive bowl games---so, it seems to me, this isn't only about Pease being an imbecile.  It smells like something died under the floorboards.  It's more than just the offense when the argument is "Hey, at least it's not 1979!"  

I would have made a run at every OC in the nation with a top-15 offense, and I wouldn't have even THOUGHT about being done until I talked to every single person on what should have been a very long and comprehensive list.  If WM did that and Roper was the only guy left, fine.  We go with what we have, but I've heard from very reliable Bull gators that WM pretty much knew the guy he wanted from the beginning.

I think it's history repeating itself with WM's selection for OC.  I really hope I'm wrong.

Edited by GatorNation, 26 December 2013 - 10:20 PM.

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Is Muschamp liked by the players?He seems to be a guy who could piss a player off,no resume and putting blame on others.

We had Danny Ford and it seemed that his players were a lot better after he was gone.

Though Ford had success,the players didn't enjoy playing for him.

Is Muschamp an a-hole to his players?Do they respect him?

Serious questions,not trolling.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorNation, on 26 December 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

I am upset.  I think WM totally rushed it when he should have really done his homework, taken his time, and seriously explored every possible option.  And after all that, particularly after Weis and Pease, he should have second- and third-guessed himself.  Instead, we hire the Duke OC before Christmas.

Fing fantastic.

Maybe Roper is the diamond-in-the-rough guy.  Maybe we'll be a mediocre, middle-of-the-pack east team for a number of years until we do get the right people running the show.  GU thinks WM is here for the long haul.  He's probably right, though that really shocks me considering how brutally awful we were this season.  Even with the injuries, we should have been able to preserve some of the streaks---e.g., no FCS losses, Vandy circa 1945, consecutive bowl games---so, it seems to me, this isn't only about Pease being an imbecile.  It smells like something died under the floorboards.

I would have made a run at every OC in the nation with a top-15 offense, and I wouldn't have even THOUGHT about being done until I talked to every single person on what should have been an extensive list.  If WM did that and Roper was the only guy left, fine.  We go with what we have, but I've heard from very reliable Bull gators that WM pretty much knew the guy he wanted from the beginning.

I think it's history repeating itself with WM's selection for OC.  I really hope I'm wrong.

Foley was along for the ride every step of the way on this one; CWM didn't just pick somebody and Foley signed off on it with no thought or input whatsoever.

Frankly, I think Davis was as much at fault for our offensive woes as the injuries or Pease; I knew we were in trouble and started tempering my expectations when we couldn't even have an O&B game because of a lack of healthy OL... you ain't gonna accomplish jack shit in our DL-heavy conference if you don't have plenty of OL and a coach to build them.

As for the time it took, most Gator fans were getting po'd it was taking this long because our class was fracturing. I've always been one of those who'd be willing to sacrifice some of a single class if it meant the right hire; but I know in this case there were 11 guys on our list, and while I'm not sure where in the order Roper fell, I also know it was going to be extremely difficult to steal anyone away from a program that was already very successful, especially when even with assurances from Foley that they'd get a multi-year contract, most probably still felt like they could be relocating in a year.

Additionally, Roper actually has MUCH more experience actually calling plays and working with QB's than Pease did; with even a mediocre offense to go with our typically stout defense, we should be able to contend.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostL.A.Hog, on 26 December 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

Is Muschamp liked by the players?He seems to be a guy who could piss a player off,no resume and putting blame on others.

We had Danny Ford and it seemed that his players were a lot better after he was gone.

Though Ford had success,the players didn't enjoy playing for him.

Is Muschamp an a-hole to his players?Do they respect him?

Serious questions,not trolling.

Muschamp is a players' coach; they love him. He gets as excited as they do, and while he's a tough love kind of guy, he's also the first one to pat them on the back when they succeed.

That players' coach reputation was part of the reason we hired him; his players would go to war for him. When recruits talk about why they choose UF, almost to a man they talk about his brutal honesty and how it's different from so many coaches that just blow smoke up their ass and tell them what they want to hear... a lot of these kids are savvy to that bullshit and can sniff it out in an instant.
Posted Image

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Couple players almost got in a fight with a fan for talking shit about Muschamp after the Cocktail party so you can only imagine.
Posted Image

GatorNation

GatorNation
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 26 December 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

Foley was along for the ride every step of the way on this one; CWM didn't just pick somebody and Foley signed off on it with no thought or input whatsoever.

Frankly, I think Davis was as much at fault for our offensive woes as the injuries or Pease; I knew we were in trouble and started tempering my expectations when we couldn't even have an O&amp;B game because of a lack of healthy OL... you ain't gonna accomplish jack shit in our DL-heavy conference if you don't have plenty of OL and a coach to build them.

As for the time it took, most Gator fans were getting po'd it was taking this long because our class was fracturing. I've always been one of those who'd be willing to sacrifice some of a single class if it meant the right hire; but I know in this case there were 11 guys on our list, and while I'm not sure where in the order Roper fell, I also know it was going to be extremely difficult to steal anyone away from a program that was already very successful, especially when even with assurances from Foley that they'd get a multi-year contract, most probably still felt like they could be relocating in a year.

Additionally, Roper actually has MUCH more experience actually calling plays and working with QB's than Pease did; with even a mediocre offense to go with our typically stout defense, we should be able to contend.

I think we're giving too much import to the one-and-done fears of joining the staff.  These guys know if you go into coaching, you rarely enjoy job security.  Look at all the HCs who have won NCs before being fired---from Fulmer and Chizik to Mack Brown.  You can't do better than winning a national title.  If Briles won three games next season, he'd be on the hot seat, too.  You're only one crappy season away from selling your home.

We shouldn't have to do a song and dance to convince, say, the OC at Baylor to jump ship and come to Gainesville...unless he's got a tattoo of Texas on his a$$.  If we can't even do that, we should hang it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users