UF to hire Duke OC - Page 2 - Florida Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

UF to hire Duke OC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Going back to the old Duke well, risky.

Posted Image

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTitans4Vols, on 24 December 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

just check the turnaround he made from the 2005 Vols offense to our 06 and 07 offenses, in specific the improvement of Erik Ainge.

I think you lost when you mentioned Erik Ainge, who got trolled by an SECTalk post. By @WadeWilson. On national radio. Automatically negates the rest of your post.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Outstanding, Duke had an impressive offense this year... looked better than they ever have since Spurrier, and did so with a serious lack of talent.

Can't wait to see what he can do with some top players.
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
"But here's the most eye-popping statistic for Roper, who was a Broyles Award finalist as one of the nation's top offensive coordinators this year: In every year he was at Duke but one, the Blue Devils scored more points than the previous year"
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 24 December 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Going back to the old Duke well, risky.

We're used to risky. Grabbing Spurs from Duke was risky; everybody said his high-flying offense would never work in the SEC.

Grabbing Meyer from Utah was risky; everybody said his spread offense would never work in the SEC.

Gator fans were ridiculed all through 2005 despite a 9-3 record; and continued to be ridiculed right through 2006, until about 11 P.M. on January 8th of 2007.
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 24 December 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

We're used to risky. Grabbing Spurs from Duke was risky; everybody said his high-flying offense would never work in the SEC.

Grabbing Meyer from Utah was risky; everybody said his spread offense would never work in the SEC.

Gator fans were ridiculed all through 2005 despite a 9-3 record; and continued to be ridiculed right through 2006, until about 11 P.M. on January 8th of 2007.

I believe going back to the Duke "well" is the risky part is all I meant. Spurrier is Spurrier...same with Urban.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 24 December 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

I believe going back to the Duke "well" is the risky part is all I meant. Spurrier is Spurrier...same with Urban.

When I look at Duke's last 3 or 4 recruiting classes, after having watched a few of their games this year, I'm pretty optimistic... one thing's for certain, it damn sure can't get worse.
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 24 December 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

When I look at Duke's last 3 or 4 recruiting classes, after having watched a few of their games this year, I'm pretty optimistic... one thing's for certain, it damn sure can't get worse.

Exactly. Give us a top 60 offense last year, we're in bcs title game.

Edited by ShaunMac, 24 December 2013 - 08:44 PM.

Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It ain't gonna work ....quote me.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postpossumslayer, on 24 December 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

It ain't gonna work ....quote me.

That's okay, even when it don't we still have enough to get over on the Vols. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 24 December 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

That's okay, even when it don't we still have enough to get over on the Vols. ;)
everyone does...cept kintucky.

GatorNation

GatorNation
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostShaunMac, on 24 December 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

What top notch OC is going to come to a school where the Head Coach can be gone in the next year which means more than likely the OC would too?

But how the hell can you judge a hire, mere hours after it's made? He has yet to coach up a player at Florida and you're so quick to say he will be a dud.

How?  Because I'm entitled to my opinion, and I've been around the block a few times.

If your logic is correct---and it's the same argument Joegator and I made weeks ago---then this whole plan was doomed from the beginning.  WM needs a homerun hire to save his job, but no homerun hire will take the job because it's unlikely a homerun hire would be able to do what needs to be done to save his job.  Brilliant, so we move to plan B: hire a non-homerun hire to seal WM's fate and guarantee a regime change at the end of 2014.

We needed a guy who could turn our crappy offense (with the players who haven't jumped ship) into something a bit more than respectable in---wait for it---one off-season.  From game one.  If you think Roper qualifies as the best guy for that task, then I don't know what to tell you.  We should have shaken every tree, scheduled every interview, offered to write any check...but we (essentially) make such an important hire before Christmas?

It's been reported that WM had Roper in his sights from the beginning; after the debacles with Weis and Pease, I think I'm entitled to the idea that I no longer have to give WM the benefit of the doubt with respect to the offensive side of the ball.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
on one hand he'll have a lot more talent to work with....on the other hand he won't be facing shit defenses every week.

Not sure what to think about this.

GatorNation

GatorNation
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 25 December 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

on one hand he'll have a lot more talent to work with....on the other hand he won't be facing shit defenses every week.

Not sure what to think about this.

No doubt Roper isn't an idiot.  But that's not the question...can he do what Weis, Pease, and Addazio couldn't?  Sure, it's possible, and it's likely the offense will be better---I agree, it can't get any worse---but will it be good enough in one off-season to save an entire coaching staff?

I could be wrong, but I really doubt it.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorNation, on 25 December 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

No doubt Roper isn't an idiot.  But that's not the question...can he do what Weis, Pease, and Addazio couldn't?  Sure, it's possible, and it's likely the offense will be better---I agree, it can't get any worse---but will it be good enough in one off-season to save an entire coaching staff?

I could be wrong, but I really doubt it.

What do y'all bring back to the defense?? If the offense can stay somewhat healthy and resemble an even remotely competent unit it should be enough to get to about 7 or 8 wins. Would that result in Muschamp getting canned, or just put a lot of pressure on him to get better in '15?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users