Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

teaching the athlete to speak

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I tell you a guy that's came a long way Bo Jackson. I was younger but in 1985 my HS won state in football, track, and basketball all in the same year. I was a manager on the basketball team like I said I was a kid.. but the basketball state tourney was held in Auburn.

Anyway I was in the locker room and none other than Bo walks in he was getting ready for a baseball game against Ole Miss I later went to. I got his autograph and talked with him dude could barely make a sentence and I recognized this at like 13yrs old.

I ended up getting Brent Fullwoods, Tracy Rocker, and Bos twice I have it in my office at work surrounded by Bama stuff.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 25 December 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I tell you a guy that's came a long way Bo Jackson. I was younger but in 1985 my HS won state in football, track, and basketball all in the same year. I was a manager on the basketball team like I said I was a kid.. but the basketball state tourney was held in Auburn.

Anyway I was in the locker room and none other than Bo walks in he was getting ready for a baseball game against Ole Miss I later went to. I got his autograph and talked with him dude could barely make a sentence and I recognized this at like 13yrs old.

I ended up getting Brent Fullwoods, Tracy Rocker, and Bos twice I have it in my office at work surrounded by Bama stuff.

Bo got tough off of his speech impediment. He use to stutter, and stayed in trouble from fighting kids over it. He said in his book that he worked at it until he got rid of it.

Edited by Fidy8, 26 December 2013 - 06:18 PM.

WDavE

WDavE
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
One of my sons was born with a speech impediment. When he was seven years old only his mother could understand him. He was in speech therapy 3 days a week for four years.
He is currently on academic sholarship and is a junior in Mech. Engineering and never quits talking.........

I wouldn't judge intelligence on someones speech.
"If a Laundromat in Tuscaloosa wants to pick Alabama No. 1, we'll claim it." -- Paul W. Bryant

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I call my boss stuttering john...

WDavE

WDavE
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If you want  have fun with your boss. When your having a conversation with him keep changing the subject. The longer you do it the more pronounced his stuttering will become. His mind will be far ahead of what his mouth is outputing.

My son's speech therapist informed me that I was talking to fast for my son early on and showed me this.
"If a Laundromat in Tuscaloosa wants to pick Alabama No. 1, we'll claim it." -- Paul W. Bryant

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWDavE, on 26 December 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

One of my sons was born with a speech impediment. When he was seven years old only his mother could understand him. He was in speech therapy 3 days a week for four years.
He is currently on academic sholarship and is a junior in Mech. Engineering and never quits talking.........

I wouldn't judge intelligence on someones speech.

I was told having speech problems as a child is a sign of intelligence. Both my daughter and son had to take speech also she just made 34 on the ACT and he's never made a B but yeah I was told that by a doctor. It was funny at times with my son he had problems with F's and S words.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
it's my opinion here but there's a big difference in having a speach impediment and just being lazy about speaking.

AUcarlton

AUcarlton

positively grandiloquent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA10Rebel, on 26 December 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

it's my opinion here but there's a big difference in having a speach impediment and just being lazy about speaking.

This. You can clearly hear a difference between people who are too freakin' lazy to pronounce their syllables and someone who stutters or has trouble with certain letter pronunciations.

...oh and its ASK not AXE

Posted Image

WDavE

WDavE
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Alot of speech patterns come from listening to your peers as you grow up.

My first five years of life were spent in Bermuda. We come home and I stick out like a sore thumb. I had become a Mississippi boy with an english accent. It took me months to understand my own grandparents.

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA10Rebel, on 26 December 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

thank you..
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUcarlton, on 26 December 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

This. You can clearly hear a difference between people who are too freakin' lazy to pronounce their syllables and someone who stutters or has trouble with certain letter pronunciations.

...oh and its ASK not AXE

Actually the old English word for "ask" was "Acsian"... If you read Canterbury Tales in Old English in high school (I always hated teachers that made kids memorize the prologue in Old English... waste of time IMO) you'd have seen Geoffry Chaucer use "axe" in place of "ask" more than once... It was really common until the 17th century, and the south took longer to change over to "ask", thus why most black cultures still use it today.

Black people get made fun of a lot for saying "Axe" but it was the right way to say it for a few hundred years.

http://www.etymonlin...ex.php?term=ask

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I use to stutter badly. After middle school i pretty much rid myself of it. Still when i get nervous or excited ill get stuck on a word for a sec.

If i were a college athlete i'd be taking public speaking classes left and right. I'd wanna be a well spoken pro like Kobe.
Posted Image

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 26 December 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

I use to stutter badly. After middle school i pretty much rid myself of it. Still when i get nervous or excited ill get stuck on a word for a sec.

If i were a college athlete i'd be taking public speaking classes left and right. I'd wanna be a well spoken pro like Kobe.

I think that's one of the big points... Nervousness/excitement are big factors in how we speak and pretty much any time a player is interviewed they're either excited right after a huge game or they're nervous before a big game/thinking about the thousands (or millions) or people that are going to hear every word they're saying. A lot of us never speak in front of a hundred people in our lives, let alone a thousand. Most of us will never say anything on the news past maybe a short local clip or two, let alone national media.

Almost all of my students when I taught hated public speaking, which is why I made them do it so much... I had students literally beg me not to make them read one sentence in front of the rest of the class because of how nervous and scared it made them (12th graders here, about to be in college). I tried to make it as painless as possible, but I made them do it because it's a very important skill to have these days.

Even our President can't read a sentence without 15,000 "Uh's" between every word.

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 26 December 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

I was told having speech problems as a child is a sign of intelligence. Both my daughter and son had to take speech also she just made 34 on the ACT and he's never made a B but yeah I was told that by a doctor. It was funny at times with my son he had problems with F's and S words.

Damn, she's a genius. Props on not having to pay for college.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 26 December 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I think that's one of the big points... Nervousness/excitement are big factors in how we speak and pretty much any time a player is interviewed they're either excited right after a huge game or they're nervous before a big game/thinking about the thousands (or millions) or people that are going to hear every word they're saying. A lot of us never speak in front of a hundred people in our lives, let alone a thousand. Most of us will never say anything on the news past maybe a short local clip or two, let alone national media.

Almost all of my students when I taught hated public speaking, which is why I made them do it so much... I had students literally beg me not to make them read one sentence in front of the rest of the class because of how nervous and scared it made them (12th graders here, about to be in college). I tried to make it as painless as possible, but I made them do it because it's a very important skill to have these days.

Even our President can't read a sentence without 15,000 "Uh's" between every word.
At 25 you're teaching high school? Do the kids still take you seriously despite only being 7 years younger than you?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users