Car Folks a British MGB convertible? - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Car Folks a British MGB convertible?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
1972 fully restored green guy is asking 10,000. Would you do it? I am looking for a toy weekend driver type cool looking car. 10,000 is the max budget I am willing to go. I have a mechanic that can work on them and he checked this one out and it passed his sniff test. It not a neutered MGA. Standard 1.8 liter engine, 5 speed. Fully restored. Not fast but peppy.

Anyone know about or own one?

Redacted

possumslayer

possumslayer

Dirty White Boy

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 20 December 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

1972 fully restored green guy is asking 10,000. Would you do it? I am looking for a toy weekend driver type cool looking car. 10,000 is the max budget I am willing to go. I have a mechanic that can work on them and he checked this one out and it passed his sniff test. It not a neutered MGA. Standard 1.8 liter engine, 5 speed. Fully restored. Not fast but peppy.

get a mx-5 and become a weekend road course racer...

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 20 December 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Actually saw one brand new when a kid I went to high school's parents got one for him.I didn't get to drive it,but I drooled on it.I wouldn't care to have one now since I'm no longer looking for a chick magnet vehicle.I'm more into comfort.

But if it tickles your fancy and you can afford it go for it.Life's too short to not have a little fun.

Also popular for homecoming parades.

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostL.A.Hog, on 20 December 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Actually saw one brand new when a kid I went to high school's parents got one for him.I didn't get to drive it,but I drooled on it.I wouldn't care to have one now since I'm no longer looking for a chick magnet vehicle.I'm more into comfort.

But if it tickles your fancy and you can afford it go for it.Life's too short to not have a little fun.

Also popular for homecoming parades.

The wife says I am going through a mid life crisis.

Redacted

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 20 December 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

The wife says I am going through a mid life crisis.
They always say that when you find something cool to buy. Seriously, though; its not a bad price. I just can't fit into one. I'd hafta get two and go roller skating.

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSquealliam Fatner, on 21 December 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

They always say that when you find something cool to buy. Seriously, though; its not a bad price. I just can't fit into one. I'd hafta get two and go roller skating.

I had a Honda civic de Sol that I sold because I couldn't get in and out of it anymore. This is high enough off the ground I can with a little effort. I think I am going to do it. I know the MGAs had a bad rep but this one is actual British, like steering wheel on the wrong side British, no catylitic converter British.

Redacted

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yes i do know about them.   Quality of the parts is lacking, They leak and leak. British Electrical is about as comical as their humor,   Fun cars but if you do not want to work on them  they are not for you.  Its a tinkerers car.   You will be required to do stuff to it monthly.  I think the price is high but if its well sorted then it might be worth it
"Sometimes you need to decide which mountaintop you want to die on." John Dixon

Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 21 December 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Yes i do know about them.   Quality of the parts is lacking, They leak and leak. British Electrical is about as comical as their humor,   Fun cars but if you do not want to work on them  they are not for you.  Its a tinkerers car.   You will be required to do stuff to it monthly.  I think the price is high but if its well sorted then it might be worth it

Is it as bad as owning a older Harley? That would be a deal breaker.

Redacted

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 21 December 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Is it as bad as owning a older Harley? That would be a deal breaker.

i only know of their reputation.   Older guys retire and own them. I also know a few harley collectors and they have nothing but good things to say about the rare old harley.  Maybe its perspective.

Edited by AUskip07, 21 December 2013 - 09:22 AM.

Posted Image

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
speciality mechanics are also expensive.  if you buy it for max price and it throws a bearing?  Where are you then.

Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 21 December 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

i only know of their reputation.   Older guys retire and own them. I also know a few harley collectors and they have nothing but good things to say about the rare old harley

I had an older (AMF) Harley and didn't ride because it was in the shop every few months. A joyless money pit. I guess I need to do some more research. I just want a fun little 2 seated sports coupe preferably a convertible to fart around in for less than 10,000.

Redacted

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 21 December 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

I had an older (AMF) Harley and didn't ride because it was in the shop every few months. A joyless money pit. I guess I need to do some more research. I just want a fun little 2 seated sports coupe preferably a convertible to fart around in for less than 10,000.

mazda miata,   be careful....  you could look like a faggot in it.

BUT put a 5.0 in the mazda miata  set up the suspension  and you could hang with any super car in the world.   I shit you not.

Edited by AUskip07, 21 December 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Posted Image

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Great car. Very high-obscene maintenance
Posted Image

Apes

Apes
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 21 December 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

I have to agree with this.
$10k might be a little high for any MG newer than 1969. If you don't like to work on cars, don't get it. Old British cars break...a lot.

I am/was a huge fan of the old Triumph's. I think my old cars spent more time torn apart than in running order. The maintenance is insane on these cars.

But, on the positive side, the are fun as shit to drive. Nothing on the market can give you the same rush as these little cars doing 70 around hair pin corners.
Posted Image

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't know about MG's but I bought a Mazda Miata a few years ago that was a great little car and fun to drive. I got it because I drive over 80 miles round trip to work daily. It wasn't bad with the seat all way back but my knees still almost touched the steering wheel. Getting in and out was the hard part I'm 6'4" the first step is about 6" off the pavement.

I also had a Land Rover the last year they were made in England before Ford took over. It was a British piece of shit that cost a lot to work on... the starter was about $450 water pump $300.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!