Reloading - The Great Outdoors - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Reloading

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I 'm just getting started.  I got my dad's old RCBS "O" press, a Lee decapping die, about 1000 .223 Brass, a harbor freight tumbler and some stainless media.  I had deprimed, tumbled and dried the brass previously.  Today I sorted and swaged out the military crimps with a swage tool I just got.

I'm not going out and buying every thing at once so It's taking awhile.  I think my next purchase is going to be the small base die set.

I have about 100 30-06 cases I plan to reload one day.  The ammo that came with my 7600 was 180 grain FMJ.  That shit is too much boom in my face.  I found myself closing my eyes when pulling the trigger.  I want to try 150 grain projectiles and work up a good load for deer.  I know the 180 has a lot more takedown power, but I'd rather carry the 30-30 than that BS.

I want to work up a good load for my 1/7 16" chrome lined 5.56.  I think it will sling 55 grains just fine, but I want to try 66 and 77.  Those 55 grain bullets seem better for killing things because they explode.  Those Hornady Zombie Max seem to be about the best that's out there.  I want some accurate plinking ammo and something for hogs and such.

Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've got a new hobby.

I'm reloading .223/5.56 brass.  Well I haven't got everything yet, but I have enough to prep the brass.  I currently have 1000 pieces at the trimming, chamfering and deburring stage.  I still have to pick my load and buy the primers projectiles and powder.  I'm leaning toward 55 grain even though my barrel is a 16" 1 in 7 twist.  I like the 77 grain bullets, but am going to load a bulk of SHTF/plinking ammo first.  Anybody have any suggestions for preferred loads?  I want to load some light 30-06 loads and some 30-30 loads when I get dies down the road.

Posted Image

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I always liked a hefty load of Hogdon Varget behind 55gr FMJ but I don't know if that's the most economical option...

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 12 December 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

I always liked a hefty load of Hogdon Varget behind 55gr FMJ but I don't know if that's the most economical option...

The 55 grain projectiles are about 10 cents a piece.  Not much is cheaper and I don't think my twist would support much lighter bullets.  Varget and H335, and other powders seem to be fairly similar in price.  I'm probably going to go with cci #41 mil spec primers.

Posted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 12 December 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I've got a new hobby.

I'm reloading .223/5.56 brass.  Well I haven't got everything yet, but I have enough to prep the brass.  I currently have 1000 pieces at the trimming, chamfering and deburring stage.  I still have to pick my load and buy the primers projectiles and powder.  I'm leaning toward 55 grain even though my barrel is a 16" 1 in 7 twist.  I like the 77 grain bullets, but am going to load a bulk of SHTF/plinking ammo first.  Anybody have any suggestions for preferred loads?  I want to load some light 30-06 loads and some 30-30 loads when I get dies down the road.

I reload 300 blackout (.223 casing, trimmed down , loaded with a .308 bullet to fire from an AR platform)

I use 110gr Vmax Hornady bullets with about 19 grain of H110. CCI 400 primers on a Hornady Lock and Load press.  I will be loading up some 220gr sierra matchking once i get a suppressor. Haha

Posted ImagePosted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
@smokeyone reloads alot too. I'm sure hes got some insite.

Posted ImagePosted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
1:7 twist usually runs better with heavier loads. But it varies for each gun. Load a bunch of different ones up and compare.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
A lot of folks use Varget and ramshot tac. Both meter well and are fairly easy to lay hand on the product and data.

Cci mil specs are pretty standard and are used for almost all data books.

How are you preping the brass? By hand? In a RCBS prep station?

A few things I would look at, work up 5-10 rounds per load to see what works best for you. If you plan to mix head stamps later do so in your test loads. Since you are prepping once fired brass it doesnt matter if it 5.56 or 223. It was fire formed were you shot it and will be going through the same prep so the neck and shoulder will be the same.

I like ramshot 24.7 grains in a 16 inch 1/7 twist with 55 grain standards shape rounds. When you get above 62 grains look for 5.56 load data over 223 as the heavy 223 stuff is usually not meant for semi auto and can cause feed issues from a mag.

Just pay attention to what you are doing and write stuff down and label stuff while working up a load that works for you.

Redacted

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Told ya. Lol

Posted ImagePosted Image

A10Rebel

A10Rebel
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This thread just makes me feel like...

Attached Files

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
@smokeyone

Deprime (Lee universal)
Wet Tumble in stainless steel media citrus dishwasher cleaner and dawn (harbor freight tumbler)
Sort (I have 4-500 PMC, 300+ LC, 100 or so Federal, some Armscorp, WCC, & etc.)
Swage (RCBS press mounted)
Resize (RCBS small base using Hornady Unique Case Lube)
clean primer pockets (RCBS wire brush)
Trim if more than max length 1.7595" (Lee trimmer and lock stud)
Debur & Chamfer RCBS tool

The Lee trimmer was hard to get set up.  My case length rod did not want to thread all the way in at first.  The machining on the threads was a little rough.  I finally got it set up right.  The rod has a groove cut into the threaded end of it for some reason.  It became loose and upon inspection the groove had closed on the end resulting in the looser fit.  I opened it up and reassembled.  I have cut some of my cases down to 1.737" using this tool.  I'm not freaking out, but I was shooting for 1.750  I have the cutter chucked in a drill and the lock stud mounted in a counter sink set for a handle.

Posted Image

There is a crap-ton/shitload more work to reloading range pickups than I first thought, but it has provided enjoyable time to myself - gets really quiet and settling out in the garage.  It's kind of like tinker toys for men.

Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It has to be a labor of love.

Redacted

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
When you get good enough, make me some high-velocity 9mm.

Posted Image

Sometimes mistaken for the Legendary Geaux

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostKneesInTheBreeze, on 12 December 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

When you get good enough, make me some high-velocity 9mm.

Like +P+ stuff?

Handgun or straight wall rounds are so much easier than rifle rounds. No trimming or prep work to it. Sort them, tumble them load them easy. I have some 147gr +P+ stuff and some 95gr +P+ stuff but its no fun to shoot.

Redacted

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 12 December 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

The 55 grain projectiles are about 10 cents a piece.  Not much is cheaper and I don't think my twist would support much lighter bullets.  Varget and H335, and other powders seem to be fairly similar in price.  I'm probably going to go with cci #41 mil spec primers.

the wolf military srp are good too. made in germany iirc

eta

and varget must have come down in price. used to be high...

Edited by nova, 12 December 2013 - 05:31 PM.