Should The SEC Cancel SEC Title Game? - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Should The SEC Cancel SEC Title Game?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Should The SEC Cancel SEC Title Game? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

SEC Championship Game

1. Yes (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. No (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

FAN

FAN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I read some national article last year about doing away with the SEC Title Game and was wondering if any new information was leaked?

HEAR ME OUT PLEASE....

So if the playoffs happened this year, from what I understand, FSU would play Michigan State. Auburn and Alabama would play again. So in retrospect Auburn would have to beat Alabama twice and Mizzu just to play in the BCS Championship. Thats beating the #1, #5, #3 and #1 in 4 consecutive games to win it all. As a fan of this conference, with no affiliation, that seems excessive. Its bad enough playing the SEC schedule, but to play an extra SEC Title Game against a top 5 team seems like too much.

One last thing....as far as the polls go it didn't seem to matter that we had an SEC Title Game. Auburn #3, Alabama #4, Mizzu #5 and regardless of the Ohio State win/loss it would have remained that way with the loser of the SEC Title Game dropping in the poll.

I know the SEC Title Game is awesome and I love it, but it seems to me it only hurts the conferences National Championship aspirations.

Anyone else feel this way? Should we discontinue the SEC Title Game?

Edited by FAN, 10 December 2013 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Dirty White Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Good question!

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Well we would, but we're not a bunch of pussies.....so no.
all your bases are belong to us

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFAN, on 10 December 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

I read some national article last year about doing away with the SEC Title Game and was wondering if any new information was leaked?

HEAR ME OUT PLEASE....

So if the playoffs happened this year, from what I understand, FSU would play Michigan State. Auburn and Alabama would play again. So in retrospect Auburn would have to beat Alabama twice and Mizzu just to play in the BCS Championship. Thats beating the #1, #5, #3 and #1 in 4 consecutive games to win it all. As a fan of this conference, with no affiliation, that seems excessive. Its bad enough playing the SEC schedule, but to play an extra SEC Title Game against a top 5 team seems like too much.

One last thing....as far as the polls go it didn't seem to matter that we had an SEC Title Game. Auburn #3, Alabama #4, Mizzu #5 and regardless of the Ohio State win/loss it would have remained that way with the loser of the SEC Title Game dropping in the poll.

I know the SEC Title Game is awesome and I love it, but it seems to me it only hurts the conferences National Championship aspirations.

Anyone else feel this way? Should we discontinue the SEC Title Game?

Besides us in 2001, who has been hurt?

FAN

FAN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMatt, on 10 December 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

Besides us in 2001, who has been hurt?

I've only lived out here since 2009. Can you explain please so I understand the 2001 deal. Was that the USC AP poll win?

Edited by FAN, 10 December 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFAN, on 10 December 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

I've only lived out here since 2009. Can you explain please so I understand the 2001 deal. Was that the USC AP poll win?

#2 Tennessee lost to LSU and was knocked out of the Rose Bowl  (BCSNCG) that year.  I'm pretty sure that is the only team in the BCS era that has lost a shot at a national championship by losing the SECCG.

Edit: besides the years that both teams were in the top 3 that has happened a few times in the past few years.

Edited by Matt, 10 December 2013 - 07:11 PM.

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It is absolutely true.  The only thing is that if the conference was lower in the polls like 5&6 the extra game could vault a team into one of the top spots.  I see us going to superconferences very soon and an NFL style playoff.  The playoff killed the significance of the SEC CG.

I'm going to miss the BCS.  It will probably be known as the crystal era of college football.

Edited by SECorBust, 10 December 2013 - 07:13 PM.

Posted Image

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I believe the conference champions should get preference if there is only going to be 4 teams.  Besides every major conference except the BigXII has a championship game.

ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
@FAN you are spot on. Bama loses to auburn on the road, takes a week off, then plays auburn again at a neutral site while auburn has to play the best team in the east then turn around for the rematch with bama. Would make no sense. SECCG is done until superconferences make it a playoff game.

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
You've won seven in a row, might be eight, and you think the SECCG is holding you back?

Okay
Posted Image

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 10 December 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

You've won seven in a row, might be eight, and you think the SECCG is holding you back?

Okay

Not at all. It's what ARfan said. It's a handicap to the winner if there's another SEC shark in the water, waiting to take on the winner again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamboMizzou

RamboMizzou

Milf Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Bro, never forget the jk. Don't ever forget the jk at the end of a post like this.
Posted Image

THE_KRIEG

THE_KRIEG
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yes, because it'll be absolutely pointless. There will be no upside to it. The downside would be an SEC team possibly missing the playoffs entirely, barring an upset....

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
How about an "I don't care" option? I was never into the idea of conference championships anyway.
Posted Image

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
You are 21 years late with what you are saying. When the conference expanded in 1992, it was said that the SEC would never have another undefeated team, nor would they have another NC team because of the SECCG. Bama went 13-0 and won the NC in the first year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users