World Cup 2014 - Page 17 - The Pros - SECTalk.com - Page 17

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

World Cup 2014

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
454 replies to this topic

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Everyone wants to bust Bradley's balls for his mistakes, but he played 100% better than he did against Ghana and he's still our best distributor, even with his turnovers. Cameron played badly last night. Gave them the first goal, and was lazy with his mark on Varela on the equalizer. Beasley held his own against Nani but still isn't good as a left back. At least he was hustling.

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I need some Gold Bond medicated ointment for my level of butthurt right now.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 23 June 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

Who wants to admit it?  We are better without josey up front
The reason we played better had nothing to do with Jozy up front. It's because our midfield was able to actually keep possession and not pass it straight to the other team. We also had a huge advantage in the midfield with having 5 compared to their three and they had a makeshift back line allowing us to just pick them apart. In the Ghana game we were playing with the lead and trying to hold on and against Portugal we had to chase the game after giving up the quick goal.

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm kind of confused why most goals scored is a higher tie breaker than head to head.  Seems odd.  Makes more sense to me that it should be head-head.

So because the tie breaker before is GD, then a total goals scored being higher also means the total goals allowed is higher, so FIFA is saying everything being equal go with the team with the better offense and not the better defense.

I'm guessing its to try and keep teams on agreeing to 0-0 draws but if teams agreed to draw at 4-4 or something then the system can still be gamed.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMatt, on 23 June 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

I'm kind of confused why most goals scored is a higher tie breaker than head to head.  Seems odd.  Makes more sense to me that it should be head-head.

So because the tie breaker before is GD, then a total goals scored being higher also means the total goals allowed is higher, so FIFA is saying everything being equal go with the team with the better offense and not the better defense.

I'm guessing its to try and keep teams on agreeing to 0-0 draws but if teams agreed to draw at 4-4 or something then the system can still be gamed.
It's not so much teams agreeing to 0-0 draws but to prevent a team from just parking the bus and trying to just keep the other team from scoring. The goals for forces teams to actually play soccer and not keep 11 men behind the ball the whole entire game.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This Netherlands Chile game should be a great one.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Image

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 23 June 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

It's not so much teams agreeing to 0-0 draws but to prevent a team from just parking the bus and trying to just keep the other team from scoring. The goals for forces teams to actually play soccer and not keep 11 men behind the ball the whole entire game.

I guess what gets me though is if we lose 2-1 to Germany and Ghana wins 3-2, they advance even though we won the head to head because they would have a 6 GF and we would only have 5.  I'm just saying head to head should have more value especially since these are neutral field games.

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
For the confused.
Posted Image
Anything red or blue we advance (oh and purple, but let's be serious, purple ain't happening). Looks like we need 1 goal and it almost assures us going forward. Of course I still prefer US and Germany sit on the ball for 90 min so I can study and not be a nervous wreck.

Edited by nooneLT, 23 June 2014 - 01:37 PM.

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 23 June 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

Who wants to admit it?  We are better without josey up front

I will.
see 6/20/14.

Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't know much about this sport but ive been watching it like crazy. People are talking like we don't have much of a shot against Germany...We beat Ghana and they went to a draw. They demolished Portugal and we went to a draw. Do we stand a chance?
Posted Image

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 23 June 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

I don't know much about this sport but ive been watching it like crazy. People are talking like we don't have much of a shot against Germany...We beat Ghana and they went to a draw. They demolished Portugal and we went to a draw. Do we stand a chance?

Germany is one of the favorites to win the WC. They are incredibly stacked at every level, even though they only brought 1 forward to the WC. They have an elite goalie and their midfield is world class. If we play our A game and they come out lazy, of course we can win, but the chances of that are pretty slim since they're not technically guaranteed a spot out of group yet.

DjCrenshaw

DjCrenshaw
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Soccer seems so complicated, but the US is in a lot better of a spot than I've heard people said before playing Portugal. I think a lot of people thought they would lose to Portugal.

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 23 June 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Not really, no
Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 23 June 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Not really, no
I like honesty
Posted Image