Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

World Cup 2014

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
454 replies to this topic

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHmanHunt, on 18 June 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

That would be a very defensive team (which I like).  Im not sure on the severity of Besler's hammy but I would hate wasting another sub early on to get him out of the game.  Fabian Johnson is a stud and I think he gets either a goal or assist vs Portugal vs their 2nd choice left back.
I think Besler will be fine. He didn't look too bad when he went out and everything I've heard is that it was just precautionary. The more I think about that lineup the more I like it because Johnson likes to get into the attack which I like but that would leave us really exposed to Ronaldo at LW. I would rather not see him going at speed in a 1v1 situation with Cameron. I also like having Jermaine as a defensive mid where he can get a couple hard tackles on Ronaldo. We could also use Brooks by pushing Cameron out to right back and moving Johnson to left back and that would leave us open to playing any four back formation.

UMrebel

UMrebel

It's always TSUNny in Oxford

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 18 June 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

I don't think our defense was exposed against Ghana. Defense is our biggest weakness and I thought we did well, especially for having no possession.

Exposed was a poor choice of words, it was late and I was tired. Our backline is definitely our weakness and it was brutal seeing us fight wave after wave of attacking.

Now our conditioning was surprising. Our warm-up regiment must have consisted of cheeseburgers and Netflix binging. I realize its humid and stuff, but that was embarrassing.

Edited by UMrebel, 18 June 2014 - 10:14 PM.

Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUMrebel, on 18 June 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

Exposed was a poor choice of words, it was late and I was tired. Our backline is definitely our weakness and it was brutal seeing us fight wave after wave of attacking.

Now our conditioning was surprising. Our warm-up regiment must have consisted of cheeseburgers and Netflix binging. I realize its humid and stuff, but that was embarrassing.
Yeah, watching us  on defense and just trying to survive was definitely brutal but our defense did surprisingly well. Not having Altidore up top to hold the ball definitely hurt but possession should be better with a good game from Bradley. I don't think conditioning was the problem. Jurgen was really focused on fitness and he was trying to make us the most fit team at the World Cup. I don't know much about these types of things but I remember them saying they had a hard time picking out cleats because the ground was hard yet wet. Could the wrong cleats have caused the hamstring problems?

JL 103

JL 103

Lord of Knoxville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 18 June 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

After Dempsey got hurt with the broken nose and Wondo was warming up, wouldn't you have been a lot more comfortable with Donovan warming up instead?

Hell no. He is like Spain, too old and too slow for the world stage. Wando is a VanNiestiltoy type player, Jphannsen plays more like Dempsey

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 18 June 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

I think Besler will be fine. He didn't look too bad when he went out and everything I've heard is that it was just precautionary. The more I think about that lineup the more I like it because Johnson likes to get into the attack which I like but that would leave us really exposed to Ronaldo at LW. I would rather not see him going at speed in a 1v1 situation with Cameron. I also like having Jermaine as a defensive mid where he can get a couple hard tackles on Ronaldo. We could also use Brooks by pushing Cameron out to right back and moving Johnson to left back and that would leave us open to playing any four back formation.

Has Cameron played right back in his career? Position change in the middle of the world cup is usually not good, especially like you said he's gonna be defending Ronaldo. I do like bringing Mix in and pushing Dempsey up though.

HmanHunt

HmanHunt
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostnooneLT, on 19 June 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Has Cameron played right back in his career? Position change in the middle of the world cup is usually not good, especially like you said he's gonna be defending Ronaldo. I do like bringing Mix in and pushing Dempsey up though.
It's what he plays all club season long for Stoke City.

View PostJL 103, on 19 June 2014 - 04:20 AM, said:

Hell no. He is like Spain, too old and too slow for the world stage. Wando is a VanNiestiltoy type player, Jphannsen plays more like Dempsey
Van Nistelrooy just died a little inside being mentioned in the same sentence as Wondo haha.  But I'm sure all you meant was he can only score on tap ins.

Edited by HmanHunt, 19 June 2014 - 07:27 AM.

Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Altidore's officially ruled out for the game against Portugal.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hopefully Ronaldo's knee swells up and he performs like D Wade. :)
Posted Image

UMrebel

UMrebel

It's always TSUNny in Oxford

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 18 June 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Could the wrong cleats have caused the hamstring problems?

Ghana was playing in the same conditions and were fine. We looked gassed and so many people had tweaks. Nothing to explain except didn't warm up enough in preparation for the sprint fest.

Posted Image

HmanHunt

HmanHunt
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUMrebel, on 19 June 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

Ghana was playing in the same conditions and were fine. We looked gassed and so many people had tweaks. Nothing to explain except didn't warm up enough in preparation for the sprint fest.
Yeah it's real easy to get tired when you're moving sideways and backwards defending the whole time.
Posted Image

JL 103

JL 103

Lord of Knoxville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHmanHunt, on 19 June 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

It's what he plays all club season long for Stoke City.
Van Nistelrooy just died a little inside being mentioned in the same sentence as Wondo haha.  But I'm sure all you meant was he can only score on tap ins.

Yes that's what I ment. But it works right?

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Posted Image

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
all arguments, valid or invalid, aside,
getting past our world cup bogey team of ghana
was a feat in itself.

advancing is a possibility now.
cant wait for sunday.

Posted Image

The Playmaker

The Playmaker

Hold My Beer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
So ready for Sunday. Found the American Outlaws spot i Huntsville and had a blast (dressed up as Captain America).

Even with Altidore out, I still like us to beat Portugal. I think Johannsson is actually a really good match up with Portugal's back line. I hope to see Zusi in the starting 11 since he's great at creating scoring chances and that fits with Johannsson's play. I thought Jermaine Jones actually played great against Ghana, he's not getting enough recognition. Losing Altidore for the Cup is a big blow but just advancing out of the group stage this year should give the program a big lift going forward.
Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Playmaker, on 20 June 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

So ready for Sunday. Found the American Outlaws spot i Huntsville and had a blast (dressed up as Captain America).

Even with Altidore out, I still like us to beat Portugal. I think Johannsson is actually a really good match up with Portugal's back line. I hope to see Zusi in the starting 11 since he's great at creating scoring chances and that fits with Johannsson's play. I thought Jermaine Jones actually played great against Ghana, he's not getting enough recognition. Losing Altidore for the Cup is a big blow but just advancing out of the group stage this year should give the program a big lift going forward.
I think Jones, Beckerman, and our center backs did a great job against Ghana. How do you suggest getting Zusi in? Playing the same formation and just putting him in for Bedoya?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users