Riddle me this..... - Page 2 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Riddle me this.....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 November 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Kinda like the Tebow-Newton situation; except that Tebow got some rings.

Believe it or not I feel a little bad for Murray, because he definitely gave it his all and was on pace not only for possible conference and/or national titles but a Heisman as well.

He'll leave with some records, but without the titles they tend to get forgotten, like with Greene; although Greene at least won an SEC title... that 2002 UGA season was a great one; if Richt just could have beaten the Zooker, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The only thing Murray has going for him over Greene is that Murray does have a shot in the NFL (has a lot stronger of an arm than most uniformed people on this site believe and isn't the midget some paint him to be either). Murray has solid arm strength ( a lot better than Greene's) and is tough as nails. Throws a really accurate pass with a good throwing motion and he has played in a system that is similar to most NFL offenses. Murray would be a really good quarterback in a West Coast offense. Scouts have been at the UGA practices all year to look at Murray. He'll probably get drafted in the early 2nd round if not late 1st
Posted Image
MARK RICHT MAKES GOOD HIRE, HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 20 November 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

The only thing Murray has going for him over Greene is that Murray does have a shot in the NFL (has a lot stronger of an arm than most uniformed people on this site believe and isn't the midget some paint him to be either). Murray has solid arm strength ( a lot better than Greene's) and is tough as nails. Throws a really accurate pass with a good throwing motion and he has played in a system that is similar to most NFL offenses. Murray would be a really good quarterback in a West Coast offense. Scouts have been at the UGA practices all year to look at Murray. He'll probably get drafted in the early 2nd round if not late 1st

Oh I don't doubt he'll be drafted high and may be more successful at the next level than Greene; I just meant the lack of team accomplishments at UGA might keep his name from being thrown around as an SEC great 5-10 years down the road.  

Being primarily a college football fan, I like it for them if former Gators do well in the NFL; but if they didn't bring UF any hardware I'm not very happy about it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 20 November 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Oh I don't doubt he'll be drafted high and may be more successful at the next level than Greene; I just meant the lack of team accomplishments at UGA might keep his name from being thrown around as an SEC great 5-10 years down the road.  

Being primarily a college football fan, I like it for them if former Gators do well in the NFL; but if they didn't bring UF any hardware I'm not very happy about it.

I mean Murray can't really be blamed within reason for any of our problems. If you look at the numbers, basically the whole time we've been here Murray has had to put up 35+ points in almost any key game due to our shit-show defense for 4 years now. Makes me angry thinking that if we even had an "okay" defense the past few years Murray would probably have two BCSCG rings now

Edited by TheRealBrave, 21 November 2013 - 07:28 AM.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 21 November 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I mean Murray can't really be blamed within reason for any of our problems. If you look at the numbers, basically the whole time we've been here Murray has had to put up 35+ points in almost any key game due to our shit-show defense for 4 years now. Makes me angry thinking that if we even had an "okay" defense the past few years Murray would probably have two BCSCG rings now

True, but nobody ever remembers that either; just like the QB gets most of the accolades when the team wins big, he also gets most of the blame when they don't.

Take the last 4 years on this site, for example; Murray may very well be a better QB than McCarron, but McCarron has 2 hands full of rings and thus will be considered the better leader and the guy who played his best ball on the biggest stages, while right or wrong, Murray already has a reputation for being the guy who couldn't win the big ones... much like his coach.

It's like the Tebow-Stafford saga; Stafford proved to be the guy whose game translated to the pros better, but it's Tebow who will go down in history as one of the greatest college players ever... without the Southwest and West coast getting together to leave him off their Heisman ballots entirely, he'd have won back-to-back Heisman trophies.

It's more often a matter of perception than reality. Take the Mannings; they're guys who are and will be remembered because of their family name and their status as 2 brothers who are both SB winning QB's; but the average fans outside the South still to this day can't tell you where they played their college ball.

I remember as a kid that before every single NFL game they'd introduce the starters and always told where they played their college ball; but now that's almost an afterthought, and only happens occasionally... the practice is actually making a comeback after years of the networks not doing it at all. I suspect they quit doing it to make more TV time available for advertising, but I also think a lot of fans have been complaining about it... I know I did a couple years ago.
Posted ImagePosted Image

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 21 November 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

True, but nobody ever remembers that either; just like the QB gets most of the accolades when the team wins big, he also gets most of the blame when they don't.

Take the last 4 years on this site, for example; Murray may very well be a better QB than McCarron, but McCarron has 2 hands full of rings and thus will be considered the better leader and the guy who played his best ball on the biggest stages, while right or wrong, Murray already has a reputation for being the guy who couldn't win the big ones... much like his coach.

It's like the Tebow-Stafford saga; Stafford proved to be the guy whose game translated to the pros better, but it's Tebow who will go down in history as one of the greatest college players ever... without the Southwest and West coast getting together to leave him off their Heisman ballots entirely, he'd have won back-to-back Heisman trophies.

It's more often a matter of perception than reality. Take the Mannings; they're guys who are and will be remembered because of their family name and their status as 2 brothers who are both SB winning QB's; but the average fans outside the South still to this day can't tell you where they played their college ball.

I remember as a kid that before every single NFL game they'd introduce the starters and always told where they played their college ball; but now that's almost an afterthought, and only happens occasionally... the practice is actually making a comeback after years of the networks not doing it at all. I suspect they quit doing it to make more TV time available for advertising, but I also think a lot of fans have been complaining about it... I know I did a couple years ago.

Yeah I love the college introductions
Posted Image

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
while I will admit that murray is a pretty good quarterback, I will will not say he is a great one.  everyone wants to talk about his stats without considering that hes a 4 year starter breaking records that were set in 3 years time, and in some cases, 2 years.  while football is a team sport, you have to consider that a truly great quarterback can overcome almost all obstacles in order to help his team win.  murray has a horrible record against top 10 teams and theres no arguing that, so no matter what his defense looked like, he still failed to win consistently against that top talent.  take cam newton and auburn for instance.  while I despise the person, he is still a great quarterback, and the year they went undefeated and won it all, the defense wasn't really all that great.
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

Dawgfan_74

Dawgfan_74
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Murray can only be as good as the team. Aaron Murray's stats vs BCS Top 15 teams this year.
1345 yards passing, 10 TD's, 2 Ints, and 4 rushing TD's. Those stats include USC,Clemson, Auburn, Missouri, and LSU. I would say those games weren't lost because of AM11.

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 22 November 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

while I will admit that murray is a pretty good quarterback, I will will not say he is a great one.  everyone wants to talk about his stats without considering that hes a 4 year starter breaking records that were set in 3 years time, and in some cases, 2 years.  while football is a team sport, you have to consider that a truly great quarterback can overcome almost all obstacles in order to help his team win.  murray has a horrible record against top 10 teams and theres no arguing that, so no matter what his defense looked like, he still failed to win consistently against that top talent.  take cam newton and auburn for instance.  while I despise the person, he is still a great quarterback, and the year they went undefeated and won it all, the defense wasn't really all that great.

Well I don't think anybody ever said Murray was better than Cam Newton either... so I fail to see why the comparison is being brought up.
Posted Image

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 02 December 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Well I don't think anybody ever said Murray was better than Cam Newton either... so I fail to see why the comparison is being brought up.
I was using cam as an example to show that a really good qb can overcome a bad defense...im sorry you failed to understand.
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 20 November 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

We'd of still gotten left out due to the #1 and #2 teams going undefeated anyways and with SEC lacking respect back then.

We would have been #2 over Ohio State without a loss to UF.

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 20 November 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Point being both teams are better coached at every level. Richt is nothing but a waste of space on the sidelines along with all his assistants.

How did UGA beat LSU and have AU on the ropes then?

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 03 December 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

I was using cam as an example to show that a really good qb can overcome a bad defense...im sorry you failed to understand.

Cam had little to do with SC's 4 straight 4 Q TO's vs AU in 2010. I also dont think he forced Clemson's kicker to miss the OT FG. He also didnt force 2 huge Bama TO's in redzone in the 1st half.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
But then you'd have a rapist and a thief on the team....it's not the coaches fault those guys chose to be dumbasses. Be glad your coaches have the balls to kick people off the team.

Plus UGA beat LSU and having Marshall back would only mean better depth in the secondary for UGA.

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 03 December 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

How did UGA beat LSU and have AU on the ropes then?

UGA beat LSU because something happened to Murray and he actually played like a QB should play when he is the starter for the University of Georgia.

Auburn is a team that can beat anyone but also get beat by anyone. They came out at halftime and got lazy and gave us a chance to get back in the ball game, by then UGA smelled blood in the water and were firing on all cylinders.

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 03 December 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

But then you'd have a rapist and a thief on the team....it's not the coaches fault those guys chose to be dumbasses. Be glad your coaches have the balls to kick people off the team.

Plus UGA beat LSU and having Marshall back would only mean better depth in the secondary for UGA.

When Georgia Tech is throwing on you at will, you realize you need as much help in the secondary as possible.