Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

The Official 2013-2014 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I like the classic home whites and the road blues the best. The cream alternates are alright and the greys are meh. I would've put the reds like 3rd on my list, maybe 4th.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I loved the home reds, maybe that's just me though. I don't like that we will be wearing cream for friday/saturday/sunday home games though, the creams are meh.
#9 Ole Miss Rebels: 9-3(5-3)
Laquon Treadwell@SuccessfulQuon
Injuries part of the game we love to play, god has a plan for everyone & with that plan come obstacles. Keep your faith & jump the hurdle!
Posted Image
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
#Braves Wren said revenue increases at Cobb Co. ballpark will allow team to be "more competitive" and keep many of its homegrown players.

He might be BS'ing us a little bit, but I like to think that we are serious about locking up the young guys with this Freeman move. We brought in John Hart in the offseason as a front office executive (he's also the former Indians and Rangers GM - he was the GM that fleeced us in the Tex trade) and supposedly he does a very good job at getting younger guys to sign long-term extensions. I'm hoping this will be the new norm. Would love to see us lock up Heyward, Simba, Minor and Julio.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We must lock up Simba and Minor.  Those two are crucial.  JHey and Julio are right behind.  We aint go a shot with Kimbrel unfortunately.

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeh, the thought of Kimbrel depresses me. But I'm hopeful that in a couple of years Jason Hursh could be the next guy in line. I feel like they drafted him first last year with the thought in mind that they wouldn't be able to keep the Rocketman long-term :(

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 05 February 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yeh, the thought of Kimbrel depresses me. But I'm hopeful that in a couple of years Jason Hursh could be the next guy in line. I feel like they drafted him first last year with the thought in mind that they wouldn't be able to keep the Rocketman long-term :(

He's got sick stuff but needs work on his control.  Dude's got a legit fastball but his off speed is still not up to MLB level.

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Simba's gotta be next in line, for two reasons: I think he'll be the least expensive overall (and thus the 'easiest' to extend of those four), and I think he's far enough from arbitration/free agency that they'll be adamant about getting it done now before his value increases down the road.

I think we almost certainly lock up one of Minor or Julio within the next year or so. It's sort of a similar situation to what we had with Freddie and Jason...they're both great extension candidates, just sorta depends on how the management feels which one is less of a risk. Julio, to me, has more 'risk' but also a much higher ceiling. JT peaks at an All-Star type No. 1 starter, while I think Minor at his very best is more of a strong No. 2 (like last year's numbers).

We will have to wait with Heyward until free agency. It's going to be toughest with him. But I wouldn't deem it impossible.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 05 February 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

He's got sick stuff but needs work on his control.  Dude's got a legit fastball but his off speed is still not up to MLB level.

Yup, read last year where his fastball was called by one scout as perhaps the single most devastating pitch of any pitching prospect in last year's class. If he could simply establish that off-speed to his repertoire, he could be a deadly closer.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 05 February 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

Simba's gotta be next in line, for two reasons: I think he'll be the least expensive overall (and thus the 'easiest' to extend of those four), and I think he's far enough from arbitration/free agency that they'll be adamant about getting it done now before his value increases down the road.

I think we almost certainly lock up one of Minor or Julio within the next year or so. It's sort of a similar situation to what we had with Freddie and Jason...they're both great extension candidates, just sorta depends on how the management feels which one is less of a risk. Julio, to me, has more 'risk' but also a much higher ceiling. JT peaks at an All-Star type No. 1 starter, while I think Minor at his very best is more of a strong No. 2 (like last year's numbers).

We will have to wait with Heyward until free agency. It's going to be toughest with him. But I wouldn't deem it impossible.

I still worry about JT's injury risk.  That's a lot of pressure on his frame.  He's great at 22 or 23 but wait until he's 27.  I'm scared he'll end up on the Lincecum path.  I dont want to lock him into a 8 year deal like we did Freddie.  More on the line of a 3-4 year deal.  I'm still hesitant that he will ever actually put his potential on the field for an entire year.  But the dude has legit #1 stuff when fully healthy.

Minor is just so consistent and a lefty.  He could be an solid anchor at the top end of our rotation for a number of years.  As a mid market team I feel more comfortable giving him a long term deal than I do Julio.

I'd love to keep JHey around but it depends on money.  He's not worth $13 mil/yr as of today.  His value will greatly depend on his performance these next couple of years and how healthy he stays.  Pitchers have found his weaker spots and until he learns to overcome those, he'll stay a .265 hitter.  Not to be pessimistic or anything.  Just how I see it.  If he could play these next 2 years at .285 with 25 HRs and 85+ RBIs then I'd be okay with a long term deal.  We just can't afford to spend tons of money on a player that consistently has injuries and goes on slumps.

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 05 February 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Yup, read last year where his fastball was called by one scout as perhaps the single most devastating pitch of any pitching prospect in last year's class. If he could simply establish that off-speed to his repertoire, he could be a deadly closer.

It sits in the high 90's and has movement.  Potential is ridiculous.  But its not consistent yet.  He's on one night and a little off the next.  4 strikeouts through 2 innings one day.....1 the next.  Much better vs lefties than righties.  And needs to work on his stretch

The Cowboy

The Cowboy
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hate to hear about the red uni's. But I have to say I never liked the road blue jerseys and wish we would go back to gray on the road full time. And the Cream jerseys are the ish

The Cowboy

The Cowboy
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I hate that we're not in the long term running for Kimbrel. And speaking of closers does anyone know how Mike "badass wind up" Gonzalez is doing?

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Check it out. John Hart is coming in here and kicking ass. Do it, Braves!!!

They locked up Freddie Freeman for eight years and Jason Heyward for two. Now the Braves are looking at some of their other young guys:

Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1Follow

Also on Hot Stove with Freeman signed long term, heard #Braves want to try to do pre-arb extended deals with Simmons/Teheran

Seems smart for a team that isn’t going to be a big free agent player and — if you believe them — will be able to spend more on salaries once they move into the new ballpark. It’s also interesting to note that all of these moves to lock up a young core come after they hired John Hart as a consultant a couple months back. Locking up the young guys like this was his m.o. in Cleveland in the 90s.

At any rate, deals for these young guys are a smart move. Basically, everyone except Craig Kimbrel is worth at least a look for this sort of thing. Not sure I’d go long with a closer given the track record, lest you wind up with a Jonathan Papelbon contract. But otherwise: go for it, guys.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Simmons/Teheran on the multi-year extension radar. Lock 'em the hell up.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I do agree with @GoldenRebel and others about Minor, though. You simply don't see too many upper-rotation lefty arms come up the way Minor has. He's less risky than Julio (and probably will be less expensive too) so I would hope that we would strongly consider extending him.

Having said all that, I am freaking pumped that we extended Freddie, and now just days later there are reports we're looking to wrap up Julio and/or Simba as well. The front office realizes that we're going to have to rely on our home-grown talent and less on making free agent splashes. I'm perfectly fine with that as our scouting dept and player development program have to be among the strongest in the game.

Edited by UAdan, 06 February 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users