Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

The Official 2013-2014 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 23 January 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I want at least an NLCS berth. We haven't made it past the division series in 13 years now.

It seems worse when you say it like that

UAdan

UAdan

Puke, inside-of-a-pumpkin orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 23 January 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

It seems worse when you say it like that

Just sucks that we're routinely one of the 2 best teams in the league every year and we're routinely getting knocked out by the first weekend of October.

Blake "The Snake" Sims

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

8-1 (5-1)

Next Game: vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
NLCS is my low end expectation for sure
#18 Ole Miss Rebels: 8-3(4-3)
Laquon Treadwell@SuccessfulQuon
Injuries part of the game we love to play, god has a plan for everyone & with that plan come obstacles. Keep your faith & jump the hurdle!
Posted Image
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 23 January 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Adam Wainwright for one season of JD Drew still hurts me the most.

The only solace there is at least we got one of JD Drew's only healthy, good seasons of his career...

Well, no, that still didn't help very much.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 23 January 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Adam Wainwright for one season of JD Drew still hurts me the most.
I think that was a pretty good deal.

MCD

MCD

His initials are Boyd Crowder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm still mad at the Braves for trading Marteen.  It is a betrayal that can never be forgiven.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 23 January 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I think that was a pretty good deal.

Go to hell, sir.

Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Freddy Garcia is coming back. Signed a Triple-A deal yesterday.

Very good depth move. He will be serviceable as a long reliever/6th man of the rotation. I feel confident that he can reel off 3-4 good starts in a row if a starter has a DL stint. Can never have too much pitching.

Blake "The Snake" Sims

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

8-1 (5-1)

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 25 January 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Freddy Garcia is coming back. Signed a Triple-A deal yesterday.

Very good depth move. He will be serviceable as a long reliever/6th man of the rotation. I feel confident that he can reel off 3-4 good starts in a row if a starter has a DL stint. Can never have too much pitching.

He was great down the stretch last year... Can't hurt us at all, especially with Beachy coming back from injury and our oldest non-Gavin Floyd (And he's only 30) starter being Kris Medlen at 28. Medlen, Minor, Teheran, and Wood all set pro career highs in innings pitched last year so it's definitely gonna be important for us to have some depth in pitching this year.

The Cowboy

The Cowboy
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It may suck to hear this because I know we all love our farm system guys, but we need to move a couple of them and sign an ace arm if we want to win in the postseason.

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Between Medlen, Minor, Teheran, and Beachy when healthy I feel like we already have four really good young SP's... Throw in Gavin Floyd to eat innings and Alex Wood who showed some strong potential last year, with a little dash of Freddie Garcia if anyone goes down and I don't see why we can't have one of the best ERA's in baseball again... We lead the majors in ERA last year and we got rid of our two starters with the highest ERA's on the team - Huddy and Maholm.

The way we've played in the postseason lately (And by lately I mean like the past 15 years), honestly unless we're dealing with injuries I don't see much reason to trade for another arm at the trade deadline if it means giving up anything special or valuable... Not until our guys show that they can stop sucking the minute the playoffs start.

We're screwed enough on our budget as things are. We can't afford to pay big money to any SP right now. I don't want to acquire some slightly above average 30+ year old overpaid SP, lose in the first round of the playoffs anyway, and then wind up losing out on Kimbrel or Freeman in the off season due to the extra cost of the SP trade.

UAdan

UAdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I kind of agree with NCIS here. As much as I would love a legit ace, it's such a gamble for a team like us. You have to ask yourself, 'at what cost?'. Prospects are everything to us. We don't have the luxury to dump them off. Especially for a pitcher. It'd be different if we had some financial cushion.

I just hope we can start wrapping up some of these homegrown players while they're still cheap(er). I'm already anticipating us losing one of Heyward/Freeman.

Blake "The Snake" Sims

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

8-1 (5-1)

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'd definitely prefer to lose Heyward before Freeman... I really wish we'd go ahead and offer Freeman a decent 5-7 year contract if he'd accept one that wasn't overpaying. A steady first baseman that's great in the clutch and a good clubhouse presence is pretty important to hold on to. Heyward will be a FA in 2016... We may as well start considering trade options now, especially if he has a good year this season.

Losing Kimbrel seems like a foregone conclusion already, but it'd be pretty cool if he'd sign some sort of discount contract to keep him on the same team. He's going to go down as one of the greatest and probably the most dominant closer of all time if he stays healthy and doesn't screw up what he's got going... He might like the idea of cementing his legacy by not team hopping, but that's mostly wishful thinking.

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Jason Heyward has signed a 2 year extension, he won't be a free agent until after the 2015 season.
Injuries part of the game we love to play, god has a plan for everyone & with that plan come obstacles. Keep your faith & jump the hurdle!
Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Freddie freeman has agreed to a multi-year agreement with the braves, official numbers yet to come.
Posted Image