The Official 2013-2014 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread - Page 8 - The Pros - SECTalk.com - Page 8

Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
27135150
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread


Latest Topics


Latest News


Top High Fived

Top Bettors


The Official 2013-2014 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#106
The Cowboy

The Cowboy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    1,057
  • Joined:
    Jul 2013
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    584
Last season the playoff loss Hirt worse IMO because we dominated the East all year but it came down the realization that we are a team built for long stretches of consistency (25-35 games periods), but don't have the consistent bats or power arms to win a 7 game no-holds-barred matchup. And that hasn't changed for this year. We don't have the "it" guys in the middle of the lineup or the 1-2 stud starters on the hill that we need for playoff ball. We're really solid, but don't have Dodgers/Cardinals type of power

#107
Tider27

Tider27

    Bammer Moderator

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    37,391
  • Age:
    26
  • Joined:
    Jun 2007
  • Location:
    West AL
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    14,189
We've needed an ace for years now, but we don't do a damn thing about it. Keep all the nice young arms, hope that they become an ace(s). That seems to be our mentality, it's not aggressive enough in my mind. We have some pieces that will be gone in a couple of years, push for the big pieces and at least say we tried dammit.

A world series has to be a tempting investment for those tight wad fawks.

.

.

.

Posted Image


#108
UAdan

UAdan

    The Rocketman

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    22,880
  • Joined:
    May 2007
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    6,784

View PostThe Cowboy, on 19 January 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

Last season the playoff loss Hirt worse IMO because we dominated the East all year but it came down the realization that we are a team built for long stretches of consistency (25-35 games periods), but don't have the consistent bats or power arms to win a 7 game no-holds-barred matchup. And that hasn't changed for this year. We don't have the "it" guys in the middle of the lineup or the 1-2 stud starters on the hill that we need for playoff ball. We're really solid, but don't have Dodgers/Cardinals type of power

I tried and tried to think of a list of reasons why this post was inaccurate, but I can't. The sad truth of it is we are a mid-level payroll team fighting in October against lineups that are star-studded from top to bottom. Our homegrown, low-budget brand is admirable in terms of the success we are able to generate with it, but when it's Game 4 and you're starting Freddy Garcia against Clayton Kershaw...well...talent overcomes depth.

Edited by UAdan, 19 January 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Posted Image

#109
UAdan

UAdan

    The Rocketman

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    22,880
  • Joined:
    May 2007
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    6,784
I think part of the lack of offseason excitement also stems from the fact that, purely from a fan perspective, this offseason has been boring...or even a 'disappointment'.

You can't really argue that our team is any 'better' now than it was in October 2013. Overall, it's mostly the same...which is good, when you consider that we won 96 games and a division title...but not when you consider we went one-and-done. It wasn't like that last offseason. There wasn't a Braves fan out there who didn't legitimately think the additions of the Brothers Upton made us significantly better.

Ryan Doumit and Gavin Floyd are sensible, depth-building moves. They're 'everyday' guys that we will come to appreciate down the stretch as they help us win games and make it through the dog days of summer. But they don't exactly evoke visions of World Series celebrations dancing in our heads.
Posted Image

#110
The Cowboy

The Cowboy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    1,057
  • Joined:
    Jul 2013
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    584

View PostUAdan, on 19 January 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:



I tried and tried to think of a list of reasons why this post was inaccurate, but I can't. The sad truth of it is we are a mid-level payroll team fighting in October against lineups that are star-studded from top to bottom. Our homegrown, low-budget brand is admirable in terms of the success we are able to generate with it, but when it's Game 4 and you're starting Freddy Garcia against Clayton Kershaw...well...talent overcomes depth.

Basically here's where we are at-

2 star bats and 2 veteran studs on the hill from a legit World Series run

or...

2 homegrown rotation guys and 2 bats gone due to failure to meet payroll from being the Miami Marlins

Sucks. I love the chemistry of this team and watching em play and bring home a NL East title but it's hard to get too excited after the crapfest of a finish the last two years (or two decades, it's whatever) and no indication it is about to improve.

#111
UAdan

UAdan

    The Rocketman

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    22,880
  • Joined:
    May 2007
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    6,784
And on top of it all, when you're a low-budget team and your biggest FA splashes are for guys like Derek Lowe, Dan Uggla and BJ Upton...it's like you've got one opportunity to make a game-winning shot and you throw up a brick.

We don't get the opportunity to get 'stud' players on the free agent market very often at all, so we have to settle for guys with 'potential' or who used to be awesome 5 years earlier.

And there's some kind of Atlanta curse that causes every free agent player to come in and lose about 75% of their ability. Never in a million years would I have predicted Dan Uggla, five consecutive years of 30 HRs, to become the dumpster fire he's been the last two  seasons...or for BJ Upton to not even hit .180!
Posted Image

#112
UAdan

UAdan

    The Rocketman

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    22,880
  • Joined:
    May 2007
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    6,784
Having said all that, I still love this team and I still think we return enough pieces to win the division once again. I guess I'll be satisfied with that for now.
Posted Image

#113
Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,012
  • Joined:
    Jun 2012
  • Cash:
    4,400
  • High Fives:
    5,158

View PostUAdan, on 19 January 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

I tried and tried to think of a list of reasons why this post was inaccurate, but I can't. The sad truth of it is we are a mid-level payroll team fighting in October against lineups that are star-studded from top to bottom. Our homegrown, low-budget brand is admirable in terms of the success we are able to generate with it, but when it's Game 4 and you're starting Freddy Garcia against Clayton Kershaw...well...talent overcomes depth.
I like the way the Cardinals are run. We have a consistent mix of young homegrown players and then go out and get a big player or two to help out. We are built to have no rebuilding years and are constantly in the mix.
Posted Image

#114
Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,012
  • Joined:
    Jun 2012
  • Cash:
    4,400
  • High Fives:
    5,158

View PostTider27, on 19 January 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

We've needed an ace for years now, but we don't do a damn thing about it. Keep all the nice young arms, hope that they become an ace(s). That seems to be our mentality, it's not aggressive enough in my mind. We have some pieces that will be gone in a couple of years, push for the big pieces and at least say we tried dammit.

A world series has to be a tempting investment for those tight wad fawks.
Y'all have a pretty good team. What you need is an owner who is willing to spend a little. A city the size of Atlanta should have a little bigger of a payroll than $90 million. If y'all spent just a little more to go out and get a big name or two, y'all could get over the hump and possibly win a World Series.
Posted Image

#115
Tider27

Tider27

    Bammer Moderator

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    37,391
  • Age:
    26
  • Joined:
    Jun 2007
  • Location:
    West AL
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    14,189

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 19 January 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:


Y'all have a pretty good team. What you need is an owner who is willing to spend a little. A city the size of Atlanta should have a little bigger of a payroll than $90 million. If y'all spent just a little more to go out and get a big name or two, y'all could get over the hump and possibly win a World Series.

I agree, the new stadium and everything may bring in a big wig. One can only hope.

.

.

.

Posted Image


#116
Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

    More than 200 rushing yards!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,673
  • Age:
    26
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Location:
    Georgia
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    1,362

View PostUAdan, on 19 January 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

And on top of it all, when you're a low-budget team and your biggest FA splashes are for guys like Derek Lowe, Dan Uggla and BJ Upton...it's like you've got one opportunity to make a game-winning shot and you throw up a brick.

We don't get the opportunity to get 'stud' players on the free agent market very often at all, so we have to settle for guys with 'potential' or who used to be awesome 5 years earlier.

And there's some kind of Atlanta curse that causes every free agent player to come in and lose about 75% of their ability. Never in a million years would I have predicted Dan Uggla, five consecutive years of 30 HRs, to become the dumpster fire he's been the last two  seasons...or for BJ Upton to not even hit .180!

Or you trade the farm for Mark Teixeira only to unload him a year later for Casey Kotchman, but you're unwilling to trade Tommy Hanson for Matt Kemp, only to unload him a year later for Jordan Walden...
We've made a lot of horrible decisions this decade.
R.I.P Philip Luzenkirchen, recipient of Neil Caudle's first career TD pass.
Posted Image

#117
UAdan

UAdan

    The Rocketman

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    22,880
  • Joined:
    May 2007
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    6,784

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 22 January 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

Or you trade the farm for Mark Teixeira only to unload him a year later for Casey Kotchman, but you're unwilling to trade Tommy Hanson for Matt Kemp, only to unload him a year later for Jordan Walden...
We've made a lot of horrible decisions this decade.

Adam Wainwright for one season of JD Drew still hurts me the most.
Posted Image

#118
adfalcon

adfalcon

    OMAHA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,522
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Location:
    Clinton,MS
  • Cash:
    760
  • High Fives:
    4,182
I love the team, and the chemistry that we have.
But I really can't Posted Imageing take another one and done year where we dominated the division.
Posted Image
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

#119
UAdan

UAdan

    The Rocketman

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    22,880
  • Joined:
    May 2007
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    6,784
I want at least an NLCS berth. We haven't made it past the division series in 13 years now.
Posted Image

#120
GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

    A Proud Swayze Crazy

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    18,936
  • Age:
    26
  • Joined:
    May 2007
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    8,590

View PostUAdan, on 23 January 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I want at least an NLCS berth. We haven't made it past the division series in 13 years now.

It seems worse when you say it like that






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users