The Official 2013-2014 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread - The Pros - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

The Official 2013-2014 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Let's go @Tider27 @Ocho @HFS @GoldenRebel @CrimsoNation713 @MCD @Neil Caudle is Superman @adfalcon @StallingsBaldSpot and whoever else

I am going to spare you the long thread intro. It was a successful (NL East Champs) yet disappointing finish (first-round exit) to the season, but we have a strong, young nucleus set to lead the charge next year and should be in contention for another playoff berth.

Unfortunately, this thread begins on a negative note, as   Tim Hudson's career as a Brave is officially over.   Timmy was one of my favorite Braves over the last several years. Loved his competitiveness and his steady, consistent success. I hate that we couldn't bring him back. Giants got him for 2 yrs 23 mil, which quite honestly is more than what I would've liked to have seen us pay him.
What say you, Braves bretheren?

Edited by UAdan, 18 November 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Throw it in the dirt! (DIRT!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I wouldn't have paid that much for him, sad to see him go but we knew it was coming. Hope he has a wonderful career in which he constantly baffles the dodgers in that rivalry ;)

Posted Image

#12 Ole Miss Rebels Baseball

30-12 (10-8)

Next Series: @Kentucky

Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It still hurts to even discuss some Braves baseball atm, but that just makes it worse. I knew there was a chance we wouldn't see Huddy come back, but that just sucks. Especially with his last season ending on an injury. I really wish he would have settled for less and finished with us, but I can't blame him.

Good luck to Huddy with the Giants until we play him, I need a shower.

Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Going to be very strange to have a Braves season without Brian McCann AND Tim Hudson. The torch is definitely being passed, that's for sure. Freeman, Heyward, Simmons, Kimbrel, Teheran, Minor and Co. are the foundation.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 18 November 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

It still hurts to even discuss some Braves baseball atm, but that just makes it worse. I knew there was a chance we wouldn't see Huddy come back, but that just sucks. Especially with his last season ending on an injury. I really wish he would have settled for less and finished with us, but I can't blame him.

Good luck to Huddy with the Giants until we play him, I need a shower.
Yeah, Braves baseball has really dropped down to about third on my sports priorities list right now, but I figured with the Huddy news coming out this afternoon it'd be appropriate to start the official offseason thread. Normally that's Hobby's job but that boy's a plain bad apple :trollface:
Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Throw it in the dirt! (DIRT!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 18 November 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Going to be very strange to have a Braves season without Brian McCann AND Tim Hudson. The torch is definitely being passed, that's for sure. Freeman, Heyward, Simmons, Kimbrel, Teheran, Minor and Co. are the foundation.
It still surprises me how young our core is, we will be a yearly contender every year for many years down the road.

Posted Image

#12 Ole Miss Rebels Baseball

30-12 (10-8)

Next Series: @Kentucky

Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Fine, I have to get some hype going I guess.,,

Will we have enough money and trade a big piece for David Price? Talk about an amazing rotation...

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Personally we have so much young talent, I rather trade them for a more proven guy. When it comes to pitching, that always seems to work out for us. Not so much at the plate.

But after reading up some, we'll probably be short of the money required to trade for Price.

Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think it's going to be a very "boring" offseason, at least compared to last year. The most noteworthy things that'll happen are probably Mac and Huddy going elsewhere, which has already started happening. I think the only moves we make are maybe a bullpen arm or two, a bench piece and maybe a 6th starter type of guy.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Oh...and we'll have a new second baseman. I think we're going to move Uggla.
Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm fine with letting Huddy go.  He's not worth that much at his age.  But I love the guy and wish him the best

Dont think we will make any huge moves.  I do think there is a chance we get Brandon Phillips.

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
damn...just damn. Theres no way to match that. Thats obscene money for an aging pitcher who just came off a broken foot. Wish him the best but we'll be fine.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I already accepted that Huddy had thrown his last pitch as a Brave when he got injured... I love Huddy and he's still a solid pitcher, but he's just simply not worth that much money. I'd have loved if we could've gotten him for $5-6 million for a one-year deal, but I knew he'd probably fetch more than that on the open market... So I wish him the best and I hope that he finishes his career out well (except for when he pitches against us)!

Also, Carlos Ruiz just got a 3 year, $26 million dollar contract... If he can get that ridiculous of a contract I can't even imagine how much McCann might wind up fetching... I'll wish him the best wherever he ends up, too.

I agree that we need some sort of veteran pitcher presence on the team going forward... We have a really good staff still, but too many youngsters and not enough wisdom can cause issues. I doubt we'll make the big move for Price too, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing a guy like Ricky Nolasco... He's always had a worse ERA than his periphials suggested and I think that with Andrelton Simmons and Jason Heyward behind him, combined with Roger McDowell, that we could have him living up to his potential more so than other teams have been able to do so far.

View PostTider27, on 18 November 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

We won't have to stack the box, our athletes are better. Read the first sentence, Auburn won't have over 175. Bet anything you want, it's not gonna happen. That's the one thing Bama can do without a doubt 100% mark it down, and have been for years.

View PostTider27, on 18 November 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

If you're going to bet, it will be longer than signing day. This is a rivalry that lasts 365 days, you would have to at least keep it until next football season or this isn't even worth mentioning. Besides, Bama could be winning late in the game and the scrubs get the 200.
Either way, it won't be happening to Bama's defense.
Posted ImagePosted Image

HFS

HFS

Everything is so Shakespeare to these Hoes

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've seen a lot of potential deals for us to get David Price and I haven't seen one yet that I thought we'd be giving up too much.
Posted Image
Formerly known as HardFightinSoldier

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHFS, on 18 November 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

I've seen a lot of potential deals for us to get David Price and I haven't seen one yet that I thought we'd be giving up too much.

I think money is a bigger factor than the players we'd trade for him... He's worth giving up a shit ton of players for, but we've got a lot of guys on rising arbitration salaries already.

I'd love to land him if we can do it, but IDK if Liberty Media will let us.

View PostTider27, on 18 November 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

We won't have to stack the box, our athletes are better. Read the first sentence, Auburn won't have over 175. Bet anything you want, it's not gonna happen. That's the one thing Bama can do without a doubt 100% mark it down, and have been for years.

View PostTider27, on 18 November 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

If you're going to bet, it will be longer than signing day. This is a rivalry that lasts 365 days, you would have to at least keep it until next football season or this isn't even worth mentioning. Besides, Bama could be winning late in the game and the scrubs get the 200.
Either way, it won't be happening to Bama's defense.
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users