Official 2013-2014 Basketball Thread - Page 168 - Official Game Threads - SECTalk.com - Page 168

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Official 2013-2014 Basketball Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5669 replies to this topic

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Didn't post much about it last night, but I was very glad to see us get a hard-fought win over a solid LSU team.

The first half was maybe the best half of basketball we've played this year. Releford was playing like a man possessed, and despite the Tigers' size advantage we crashed the boards and held our own down low.

The second half was an entirely different story. LSU began attacking the rim, penetrating into the defense and really began to exploit some matchup problems/outwork us. I am stunned that Jimmie Taylor, our premier shot blocker, did not see more minutes in the second half, as Johnny O'Bryant scored at will against us. He had three fouls, but even in the final several minutes when LSU cut the lead down and eventually took the lead themselves, Taylor stayed on the bench. Thought he could've made a big difference.

Our offense really had a terrible time with the LSU press in the second half, committing turnover after turnover. A lot of this has to be credited to LSU doing such a good job defensively, but I also think we missed the electric presence of Retin Obasohan, who has been out with a hip flexor for the last two games. Retin is a bit wild/erratic shooting the ball, but he has the speed/athleticism to break traps and make something out of nothing. Releford has played 60 consecutive minutes without a break in two games over the course of 48 hours. As good of a player as he is, he ain't Superman and he needs a spell every now and then. I think the LSU pressure really wore him down. I hope Retin is back for Auburn.

But probably the biggest takeaway from our game is this: we scored 46 points in the second half last night, and Trevor Releford only scored 2 of them. 46 points in a half is unheard of for our offense anyways, but to do it entirely with the efforts of secondary players (ie, guys not named Releford) is amazing. Rodney Cooper caught fire, especially from the outside. Shannon Hale and Levi Randolph also made big shot after big shot. Hale's three towards the end was especially crucial.

Grant seemed happier/more excited at the end of this game than I think any game he's won in five years. Maybe he's realizing that he has to change things about himself to bring the most out of his players. RTR.

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

0-0 (0-0)

Next Game: vs. West Virginia Mountaineers

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Since we're a member of the National Championship club,I officially know more about basketball through osmosis as most of you punks on here as well.

Yup,ha.

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Next, we head down to The Plains for a showdown with the Barnies. Our game in Auburn last year was one of the worst games I've seen an Alabama basketball team play, ever. Hopefully it'll be a much different story this time around.

And I can guarantee you this, despite the Auburn fanbase's fickle attitude towards hoops, they will pack that arena to the freaking rafters on Wednesday night just for the opportunity to 'Beat Bamr'. Especially with the Iron Bowl trophy presentation at halftime.

Sure, only about 10% of the fans in attendance will be able to name more than a couple of players, but they'll be rowdy :trollface:

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

0-0 (0-0)

adfalcon

adfalcon

OMAHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 26 January 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Next, we head down to The Plains for a showdown with the Barnies. Our game in Auburn last year was one of the worst games I've seen an Alabama basketball team play, ever. Hopefully it'll be a much different story this time around.

And I can guarantee you this, despite the Auburn fanbase's fickle attitude towards hoops, they will pack that arena to the freaking rafters on Wednesday night just for the opportunity to 'Beat Bamr'. Especially with the Iron Bowl trophy presentation at halftime.

Sure, only about 10% of the fans in attendance will be able to name more than a couple of players, but they'll be rowdy :trollface:
The last time I remember Auburn packing the house this happened:

Let's hope the Aubie students get just as pissed off after the iron bowl on hardwood :cheers:
Posted Image

BulldawgFan, on 18 August 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

What makes you think Bama is head and toes above MSU?
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
@adfalcon thanks for that little nugget. I love the guy in the sweater who rips his hat off in an angry rage. Maybe we can borrow MH for one night :trollface:

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

0-0 (0-0)

adfalcon

adfalcon

OMAHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 26 January 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

@adfalcon thanks for that little nugget. I love the guy in the sweater who rips his hat off in an angry rage. Maybe we can borrow MH for one night :trollface:
Just watch the gif and look at every single reaction, I love the security guard that just has a huge grin on his face.
Posted Image
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 26 January 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

Just watch the gif and look at every single reaction, I love the security guard that just has a huge grin on his face.
Posted Image

I'm gonna guess the old guy who stands up is @Darth Vader , Krieg is the guy with curly hair who claps and goes "whooooo!", and Penguin is the ringleader right in the middle of the screen who shoots a bird and throws it back down with authority.

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

0-0 (0-0)

adfalcon

adfalcon

OMAHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 26 January 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'm gonna guess the old guy who stands up is @Darth Vader , Krieg is the guy with curly hair who claps and goes "whooooo!", and Penguin is the ringleader right in the middle of the screen who shoots a bird and throws it back down with authority.
Perfect, lmao.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
lol I also just noticed the shorter, somewhat chubby guy with the glasses who is standing directly behind Mr. Angry Bird....you can only see his head/face, but out of nowhere he shoots a finger high into the sky and looks up at it, as if he's saying, "Aha! Look what I found!"

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

0-0 (0-0)

Porcine

Porcine
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 26 January 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks like Grandpa was the only one Henderson would back off from.
HelmMap.gif

Porcine

Porcine
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Reminiscent of the UAB Memphis game a few years ago.

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

Edited by Porcine, 26 January 2014 - 04:02 PM.

HelmMap.gif

tawoody

tawoody
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 26 January 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

I'm so glad we have Mississippians on here who can explain this game of basketball to this poor ole Kentucky boy.  I don't know what we've been doing to for the last 100 years.  I guess when they finally won the SECT, Ole Miss had a deeper knowledge and understanding of the game bestowed upon them.  I guess we got :lanekiffin:ed the 26 times we just lucked into winning it.  Thank you for your generosity and extremely insightful views into this game I'm only just beginning to grasp.  Yes, where would this conference be without Rebel basketball?

Obviously we will never compete with programs like Kentucky but its pretty obvious we are doing something right in the conference with Marshall Henderson since we are 25-8 over our last 33 conference games which is the best in the SEC.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
LMAO at JizzSack with the double irony.

1. "You don't know anything about basketball" says the guy claiming Henderson was snubbed from first team All-SEC.
2. Any jokes about IQ levels are immediately ironic, regardless of circumstance.

I'm much more confident in our team after that gangrape of Tennessee.
They are built to give us trouble and always do.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 26 January 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Another guy that can't shoot is the last thing y'all need right now, ain't it? :trollface:
Posted ImagePosted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Posttawoody, on 26 January 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Obviously we will never compete with programs like Kentucky but its pretty obvious we are doing something right in the conference with Marshall Henderson since we are 25-8 over our last 33 conference games which is the best in the SEC.

25-8 over the last 33, huh? 33 is an odd number of games to use as a cutoff.

Why did you stop there, rather than just go all the way to the beginning of the 2012 SEC season, instead of just a portion of it?

By George, I think I've got it! The cutoff is 33 games because right before that Ole Miss had a 3-game SEC losing streak.

Clever accounting I must say, but just for kicks and giggles let's go ahead and count the record at a legit stopping point like the beginning of the 2012 SEC season...

10-9 - 2012
15-6 - 2013
5-1 - 2014
30-16 (.652) - Ooh, ouch, that doesn't look nearly as impressive; but it's somewhat close to...

11-7 - 2012
16-5 - 2013
6-0 - 2014
33-12 (.733)

;)

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 27 January 2014 - 08:18 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users