Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Official 2013-2014 Basketball Thread

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5604 replies to this topic

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 19 January 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

You know what I find hilarious?
One of our new signees that will be coming in next year is in Junior College, he played at FAU last year, and has an insane vertical and is pretty damn good beyond the arc. Both him and Henderson transferred from 4 year schools to junior colleges because of drug-related suspensions. It'll be like Henderson was never gone haha.
I have said this before, and will say this again, if Henderson was on any other team I would be just as big of a hater of him as many of y'all are. But he's a Ole Miss Rebel, and we basically live and die by his performance in some games so I am kinda obligated to defend him lol.

That's cool; I have no problem with that, and everyone's capable of redemption if they make the most of their 2nd chance and change.

Hell, it doesn't even bother me that it was drugs that got them going down the wrong path to begin with; that can be addressed and fixed.

It's the 'tude I have a problem with; and maybe the new JUCO won't be an asshole like Henderson. I wouldn't even be hard on Henderson if he wasn't still getting in the same kind of trouble and still acting the fool.

Your other players rally around him because much like the fans, they're essentially obligated to out of a sense of team loyalty (he might be a douche, but he's OUR douche).

Henderson might be one of those athletes who uses other folks' impressions of him as his incentive; at this point he may think he can't play well without the hate motivating him. What's sad is he does have skills; but will never find out if he can still play without the hate until he tries. That's what's supposed to happen in college.

It really is very much like Noah. He was ridiculed a lot as a kid in New York because he was awkward, uncoordinated, and just not particularly talented.

He came to UF with not a chip, but a boulder on his shoulder. And he didn't get rid of it right away, either; that was an enormous undertaking on BD's part. When the other players in his 2004 class started getting more playing time, Noah was still getting left out; and he nearly left the program. Instead he took BD's advice, painful truth and all, bought in and committed himself to improve in all the areas outlined by Billy.

Soon the kid was a working freak who was first to practice and still there hours after everybody else had left. Assistant coaches reported that every time they walked by the gym, he was in there. When other players were out on the town having dinner or partying, Joakim was in the gym running wind sprints, shooting FT's, or trying to get pickup games started with anybody walking by.

Eventually he became the hardest worker on the team and gave Billy no choice but to give him PT; he had not only earned it, but all the work had improved his game to the point where it couldn't be ignored. And it showed on the court, and still does to this day... he still has that hardest worker ethic. The kid is 6'11" and still dives and fights for loose balls, makes steals that are typically expected from quick guards, and puts in work every night. Without the God-given talent, that kind of effort was the only way he was going to be able to compete at the levels he wanted to inhabit... but it took him swallowing that bitter pill from BD all those years ago, and taking the advice to get there.

Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

That's cool; I have no problem with that, and everyone's capable of redemption if they make the most of their 2nd chance and change.

Hell, it doesn't even bother me that it was drugs that got them going down the wrong path to begin with; that can be addressed and fixed.

It's the 'tude I have a problem with; and maybe the new JUCO won't be an asshole like Henderson. I wouldn't even be hard on Henderson if he wasn't still getting in the same kind of trouble and still acting the fool.

Your other players rally around him because much like the fans, they're essentially obligated to out of a sense of team loyalty (he might be a douche, but he's OUR douche).

Henderson might be one of those athletes who uses other folks' impressions of him as his incentive; at this point he may think he can't play well without the hate motivating him. What's sad is he does have skills; but will never find out if he can still play without the hate until he tries. That's what's supposed to happen in college.

It really is very much like Noah. He was ridiculed a lot as a kid in New York because he was awkward, uncoordinated, and just not particularly talented.

He came to UF with not a chip, but a boulder on his shoulder. And he didn't get rid of it right away, either; that was an enormous undertaking on BD's part. When the other players in his 2004 class started getting more playing time, Noah was still getting left out; and he nearly left the program. Instead he took BD's advice, painful truth and all, bought in and committed himself to improve in all the areas outlined by Billy.

Soon the kid was a working freak who was first to practice and still there hours after everybody else had left. Assistant coaches reported that every time they walked by the gym, he was in there. When other players were out on the town having dinner or partying, Joakim was in the gym running wind sprints, shooting FT's, or trying to get pickup games started with anybody walking by.

Eventually he became the hardest worker on the team and gave Billy no choice but to give him PT; he had not only earned it, but all the work had improved his game to the point where it couldn't be ignored. And it showed on the court, and still does to this day... he still has that hardest worker ethic. The kid is 6'11" and still dives and fights for loose balls, makes steals that are typically expected from quick guards, and puts in work every night. Without the God-given talent, that kind of effort was the only way he was going to be able to compete at the levels he wanted to inhabit... but it took him swallowing that bitter pill from BD all those years ago, and taking the advice to get there.
Henderson's biggest change from last year to this year is his maturity, according to several players and Kennedy. He has turned into a leader in the locker room, has really improved his offseason antics, and has been supporting the team. He is the hardest worker in workouts, and the most motivated in practice. Watch a game, Henderson is the first to celebrate with a team mate, the first to criticize himself and others, the first one back on defense, the first one ahead on offense. Yes he still does little small things on the court, but he isn't nearly as showboaty and cocky as he was last year.

Edited by adfalcon, 19 January 2014 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
In fact, the only time I have seen Henderson's emotions come unchecked this year was when he hit a huge three vs LSU.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHFS, on 18 January 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

That's the perception, but the reality is we put as much money into the basketball program as anyone except the big 4.

Who are the Big4?

Kentucky, Arkansas, Florida, ?

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 19 January 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

In fact, the only time I have seen Henderson's emotions come unchecked this year was when he hit a huge three vs LSU.

I've watched OM a few times this year and he is way less douchey this year.

Still the biggest prick in the conference though.

Edited by JoeGator, 19 January 2014 - 02:47 PM.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 19 January 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

Henderson's biggest change from last year to this year is his maturity, according to several players and Kennedy. He has turned into a leader in the locker room, has really improved his offseason antics, and has been supporting the team. He is the hardest worker in workouts, and the most motivated in practice. Watch a game, Henderson is the first to celebrate with a team mate, the first to criticize himself and others, the first one back on defense, the first one ahead on offense. Yes he still does little small things on the court, but he isn't nearly as showboaty and cocky as he was last year.

Well, hopefully the transformation will continue and stick; relapses of any kind in adulthood can be devastating and permanent... always hate to see talent wasted or thrown away.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 19 January 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Didn't he just blow kisses to the USC student section after the game yesterday?

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 19 January 2014 - 02:49 PM.

Posted Image

HFS

HFS
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 19 January 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Who are the Big4?

Kentucky, Arkansas, Florida, ?
Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHFS, on 19 January 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke

I'm retarded.

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 19 January 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostJoeGator, on 19 January 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Won't disagree with ya there, I just don't like people who look at his antics last year and then use it to talk about this years Henderson.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 19 January 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

Won't disagree with ya there, I just don't like people who look at his antics last year and then use it to talk about this years Henderson.

He's done too much damage already to come back from it.

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

Didn't he just blow kisses to the USC student section after the game yesterday?
He did the three finger salute from the book series The Hunger Games.
It is done by the rebels in that book, and we are the ole miss rebels. I couldn't tell if he specifically did it towards the student section, but even if he did that is not really his emotions coming unchecked, he did that vs WKU and several other teams, he has done it several times in the sad pad also.

Edited by adfalcon, 19 January 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 19 January 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I'm retarded.

I must be too, because I thought he was talking about the Big 4 of the SEC. AU doesn't spend anywhere near the money on basketball as literally dozens of dedicated basketball schools.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

I must be too, because I thought he was talking about the Big 4 of the SEC. AU doesn't spend anywhere near the money on basketball as literally dozens of dedicated basketball schools.

I don't know.
I remember that brand spanking new arena costing over $80 million.

Who are the Big4 of the SEC?
Who is the 4th I guess is what I'm asking.

Missouri or Tennessee? I don't know haha.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Also, we just WON a ROAD game in conference and dropped in the RPI.

Posted Image you Auburn.