Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Official 2013-2014 Basketball Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5669 replies to this topic

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 18 January 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

I'm sorry....I didn't realize you were able to read the lips of what Cal was saying.  Also, we UK fans don't storm the court, so I wouldn't know if it should have been a technical.

Anecdotal stories do not make for truth.

No lip-reading skills necessary; plenty of folks heard what he was saying (screaming) and passed it along. Hell, even the announcers commented on it live.

You've about worn out the word "anecdotal", haven't you? 'Bout time to turn the page in that Websters you're studying, or just make that statement a part of your sig. :trollface:
Posted ImagePosted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHFS, on 18 January 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

We didn't just build a new stadium to win 3 SEC games a year.
I was in that arena shortly after it was built. Doesn't have a huge capacity but as for the quality its right in par with Rupp. Really one of the nicest in the SEC. It is weird that they invest 100 million in a new arena but stick with Barbie.
If auburn really wanted to get in the tourney they'd hire Bruce Pearl. Some people don't much like him but I always admired his dedication to UT. He'd already have a decent roster to work with as well
Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

No lip-reading skills necessary; plenty of folks heard what he was saying (screaming) and passed it along. Hell, even the announcers commented on it live.

You've about worn out the word "anecdotal", haven't you? 'Bout time to turn the page in that Websters you're studying, or just make that statement a part of your sig. :trollface:
Of course he's all over forums. It's been that way since 2009. He's the most talked about college coach in the nation and will continue to be until he retires. All these people who talk Posted Image are only helping his recruiting. I've been one of the fans who could care less about people talking Posted Image about him. All it is is justification of his immense success.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 19 January 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

Of course he's all over forums. It's been that way since 2009. He's the most talked about college coach in the nation and will continue to be until he retires. All these people who talk Posted Image are only helping his recruiting. I've been one of the fans who could care less about people talking Posted Image about him. All it is is justification of his immense success.

Um, whut? LOL. How is it justification of success for folks to opine that whining and begging for nonexistent penalties at the end of a hard-fought contest is kind of low-down and douchey for a coach, especially one at a juggernaut program with a wealth of talent? Lobbying officials or pointing things out to them during a game is one thing, all coaches do some of that; refusing to accept a loss to the extent that you raise a stink and insist on a call (as opposed to challenging an actual made call) is something entirely different.

I mean, honestly, most of the folks weighing in don't even have a personal stake in anything related to UK and/or never even play them. Kind of hard to refute that somebody's a sore loser when he tries to lobby the refs for not one, but two, bs calls at the end rather than just own up to the fact that he got beat fair and square. That's not jealousy talking; that's just people witnessing bona fide poor sportsmanship... there's no crying in basketball, either. Fans can get away with some of that; coaches are supposed to be above it, especially when they're wrong.

He did his best to try and limit the damaging impression everyone got later on at the presser when he said you have to give UAr credit for continuing to play hard right up to the end; but even then he couldn't just congratulate them without throwing one of his players under the bus and saying that's what you get from freshmen... totally distancing himself from any responsibility for the loss, and apparently forgetting that it's his own recruiting model that keeps so many inexperienced players on the floor for every game every year in the first place.

I know he's your coach and all, so sticking up for him is par for the course; we all do it... but if he was still coaching at Memphis, UK fans would be like the fans of most of the other DI teams and consider it a pussy move.
Posted ImagePosted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

Um, whut? LOL. How is it justification of success for folks to opine that whining and begging for nonexistent penalties at the end of a hard-fought contest is kind of low-down and douchey for a coach, especially one at a juggernaut program with a wealth of talent? Lobbying officials or pointing things out to them during a game is one thing, all coaches do some of that; refusing to accept a loss to the extent that you raise a stink and insist on a call (as opposed to challenging an actual made call) is something entirely different.

I mean, honestly, most of the folks weighing in don't even have a personal stake in anything related to UK and/or never even play them. Kind of hard to refute that somebody's a sore loser when he tries to lobby the refs for not one, but two, bs calls at the end rather than just own up to the fact that he got beat fair and square. That's not jealousy talking; that's just people witnessing bona fide poor sportsmanship... there's no crying in basketball, either. Fans can get away with some of that; coaches are supposed to be above it, especially when they're wrong.

He did his best to try and limit the damaging impression everyone got later on at the presser when he said you have to give UAr credit for continuing to play hard right up to the end; but even then he couldn't just congratulate them without throwing one of his players under the bus and saying that's what you get from freshmen... totally distancing himself from any responsibility for the loss, and apparently forgetting that it's his own recruiting model that keeps so many inexperienced players on the floor for every game every year in the first place.

I know he's your coach and all, so sticking up for him is par for the course; we all do it... but if he was still coaching at Memphis, UK fans would be like the fans of most of the other DI teams and consider it a pussy move.
Whens the last time you got on here and bitched about Andy Kennedy, Tony Barbee, or Frank Martin griping at the refs or complain about their players?  Spare us the soapbox and just say you don't like us and be done with it.  Quit trying to justify the hate.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 19 January 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

Whens the last time you got on here and bitched about Andy Kennedy, Tony Barbee, or Frank Martin griping at the refs or complain about their players?  Spare us the soapbox and just say you don't like us and be done with it.  Quit trying to justify the hate.

Don't be ridiculous, I don't even hate UK at all; I hate Cal.

And would you like to know the history behind the hate for that whiny, overrated c**t?

You. You, the other UK fans, and Rupp Rafters are what convinced me he was a worthless, underhanded POS.

As you know, Gator fans, including me, didn't care much about basketball prior to UF having some real, repeated success.

I didn't even know who Cal was in 2005 and earlier, and couldn't have given 2 Posted Images. And I damn sure didn't know who World Wide Wes was.

But you UK guys started thread after thread about those 2, what sorry cheaters they were, and how scummy recruiting in and around Memphis was.

Y'all told everybody on this site that he and Wes represented everything that was wrong with collegiate basketball.

So, at the time I already read a lot of other teams' sites, and intrigued, decided to go check out Rupp Rafters to read more about those 2.

It was an unrepentant bash-fest, and more than a few Blue fans said at the time that UK would never lower their standards enough to employ something like that.

You remember that guy that used to post his UK rant vids all the time? I can't remember his handle/screename right offhand, but he had several "shows" specifically about Cal, Wes, and Memphis.

Hell, PT, when none of us around here even knew what you were talking about, you yourself educated us with several posts, articles, and links about nefarious recruiting practices by Wes and suggested the NCAA needed to hurry up and do something about those 2... and they eventually did.

So I'll be happy to climb down off my soapbox when you guys put away your irony board and quit being the ultimate hypocrites... because only a handful of folks on this site would even know they were supposed to hate Cal without UK fans telling us we should, and proving why repeatedly over the years with examples of all the underhanded Posted Image they pulled.
Posted ImagePosted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Until people stop using an isolated (possible) incident to describe "the way it is"...I will use that word or any other word I can come up with to express the absurdity of such claims.

Every coach whines at times...but haters of Cal and UK are ridiculously obsessed with things that make you look stupid if you knew the truth about him, his agenda, his players and his positive influence he has in life.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

SECats

SECats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

This is actually one of the most ridiculous, idiotic and absurd posts I have ever read and I even stopped a couple of lines in.

Lmao

Hater b!tch.

SECats

SECats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

And would you like to know the history behind the hate for that whiny, overrated c**t?

You. You, the other UK fans, and Rupp Rafters are what convinced me he was a worthless, underhanded POS.

As you know, Gator fans, including me, didn't care much about basketball prior to UF having some real, repeated success.

I didn't even know who Cal was in 2005 and earlier, and couldn't have given 2 Posted Images. And I damn sure didn't know who World Wide Wes was.

But you UK guys started thread after thread about those 2, what sorry cheaters they were, and how scummy recruiting in and around Memphis was.

Y'all told everybody on this site that he and Wes represented everything that was wrong with collegiate basketball.

So, at the time I already read a lot of other teams' sites, and intrigued, decided to go check out Rupp Rafters to read more about those 2.

It was an unrepentant bash-fest, and more than a few Blue fans said at the time that UK would never lower their standards enough to employ something like that.

You remember that guy that used to post his UK rant vids all the time? I can't remember his handle/screename right offhand, but he had several "shows" specifically about Cal, Wes, and Memphis.

Hell, PT, when none of us around here even knew what you were talking about, you yourself educated us with several posts, articles, and links about nefarious recruiting practices by Wes and suggested the NCAA needed to hurry up and do something about those 2... and they eventually did.

So I'll be happy to climb down off my soapbox when you guys put away your irony board and quit being the ultimate hypocrites... because only a handful of folks on this site would even know they were supposed to hate Cal without UK fans telling us we should, and proving why repeatedly over the years with examples of all the underhanded Posted Image they pulled.

I never once said ANYTHING about Cal pre-UK and (once again) stop generalizing about "all UK fans" in their ranting about Cal at Memphis.  Anecdotal stories ARE A SIGN OF IGNORANCE.

If there were UK fans that didn't want Cal (and there were some) that feeling is certainly different now.  He goes out of his way to be an ambassador for our program, our university, the community and the state of Kentucky....hell, he's even done things on a national/global scale with using his position as the UK basketball coach to raise a BOATLOAD of money from Wildcats fans for Haiti and for the NE (Hurricane Sandy).  Two of his previous players (Wall & Cousins) donated a million dollars each this past year when they signed their new contracts.  Cal help develop them as men AND players and their generosity is a direct reflection of his relationship and teachings.  Cal gets bashed at times by ignorant people but once the TRUTH is known about what he stands for....if you still "hate" it makes you look like a jealous, foolish, hater.

But if you wanna continue with your story of all the "whining" that he does (that nobody else must do), knock yourself out.  Kentucky fans know that Cal ALWAYS puts the blame on his coaching and the fact that he's coaching KIDS as the reason for mistakes and he ALWAYS gives credit to the other team.  Any other description of his "coaching style" is simply....BS.

Cal has been ridiculously successful at UK because it's the perfect storm.  You don't like that?  Good.  That means he's doing it right.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

The amount of attention cal got at Memphis is nowhere near as close to what he gets here. With success comes hate. That's just natural. I personally didn't give a damn about him because of where he coached.
Have you ever watched a duke game? Coach K gets into the ear of refs just as much if not more than cal and he's labeled as the G.O.A.T.
I can completely understand cal getting pissed at the end of the game. Clearly there was gonna be more time on the clock yet they rushed the court anyway. I understand they were excited and I don't blame them but regardless there was time left on the clock. So technically that is a T even if it was a little petty.
He did congratulate them and he didn't throw anyone under the bus. He simply commented on boxing out and that's what you get from freshman. It's 100% true. He gave UA the praise they deserved. Swinging on their nuts isn't necessary.

Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Marshall Henderson shouldn't even be on a roster anywhere. It still amazes me that OM fans keep defending him. I have 0 respect for Andy Kennedy
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

he's our coach and he wins games.  We've done the research and the man is clean.  We were wrong before, so what?
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 19 January 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

I never once said ANYTHING about Cal pre-UK and (once again) stop generalizing about "all UK fans" in their ranting about Cal at Memphis.  Anecdotal stories ARE A SIGN OF IGNORANCE.

If there were UK fans that didn't want Cal (and there were some) that feeling is certainly different now.  He goes out of his way to be an ambassador for our program, our university, the community and the state of Kentucky....hell, he's even done things on a national/global scale with using his position as the UK basketball coach to raise a BOATLOAD of money from Wildcats fans for Haiti and for the NE (Hurricane Sandy).  Two of his previous players (Wall & Cousins) donated a million dollars each this past year when they signed their new contracts.  Cal help develop them as men AND players and their generosity is a direct reflection of his relationship and teachings.  Cal gets bashed at times by ignorant people but once the TRUTH is known about what he stands for....if you still "hate" it makes you look like a jealous, foolish, hater.

But if you wanna continue with your story of all the "whining" that he does (that nobody else must do), knock yourself out.  Kentucky fans know that Cal ALWAYS puts the blame on his coaching and the fact that he's coaching KIDS as the reason for mistakes and he ALWAYS gives credit to the other team.  Any other description of his "coaching style" is simply....BS.

Cal has been ridiculously successful at UK because it's the perfect storm.  You don't like that?  Good.  That means he's doing it right.
bingo.  Cal has done a lot for this state and this is only his fifth year. His charities and donations are beyond generous.  The only coach in my lifetime whos been a more quality as ambassador for the Bluegrass is Joe B.  Coach Rupp is obviously in his own stratosphere.

Cal came and changed opinions.  It's easy to judge from the outside and many of us were wrong for doing it.  Doesn't mean we can't have our minds changed once we get to know the man.  All you have to do is go down to Wheeler's and talk to him.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 19 January 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

This is actually one of the most ridiculous, idiotic and absurd posts I have ever read and I even stopped a couple of lines in.

Lmao

Hater b!tch.

You didn't even join the site until 2010; so you have no clue how much bs was posted by UK fans about Cal and Memphis in the 4 or 5 years prior.

What's funny is you're so defensive that it doesn't even occur to you that it was my respect for the UK program and support for the SEC that made me give some credence to what UK fans said about him, and believe all the allegations in the 1st place.

That's hardly hate and it damn sure isn't worthy of being called a bitch; but I've learned to temper my expectations when it comes to the content of your "contributions".

View PostPuddingTime, on 19 January 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

he's our coach and he wins games.  We've done the research and the man is clean.  We were wrong before, so what?

At least you own it. You know damn well that I've consistently called Bama and UK the Godfathers of their sports in the SEC for years in here.

I didn't know jack Posted Image about Cal before I joined this site and Rivals.

I read what UK fans brought to the table, because they did some extensive homework on the topic, and the vast majority would have dropped the guy from Rupp's rafters and not thought twice about it, except to be concerned if he'd damage the court below.

If some UK fans have changed their minds, that's their prerogative; but they're also jaded at this point, and just because y'all feel differently because he's beneficial for your program doesn't erase any of the Posted Image he did or continues to do.

And it damn sure doesn't mean any of the rest of us have to change our minds that you worked so hard to inform in the first place. I still think he represents everything that's wrong with collegiate athletics and recruiting.

If he's convinced you that it's okay if kids can't read their contract, pay stub, or endorse their own paycheck because he can get them millions of dollars right away, you're entitled to agree. I don't, that's all.

It's just like with Kiffin; he's not suddenly an upstanding pillar of society and the coaching profession simply because Bama hired him.

If UK hired Petrino away from UL in a couple of years, he wouldn't cease to be a POS based solely on who writes his paycheck.

I don't alter my opinions based solely on geography or employer.

When we hired Muschamp, I hated the guy, but not because he was a scumbag, a cheater, or had character defects; I hated him because all of his defenses used to wreak havoc on UF. So liking him now is just a case of appreciating that he's now doing that for us instead of against us.
Posted ImagePosted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 19 January 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Marshall Henderson shouldn't even be on a roster anywhere. It still amazes me that OM fans keep defending him. I have 0 respect for Andy Kennedy

Agreed; I don't like lots of coaches, and Kennedy is definitely one of them.

I have a hard time believing most coaches would put up with Hendrson's nonsense.

I don't know every team's coaches that well, but I can't imagine BD or most other coaches putting up with that kid's BS for very long, especially all that disrespecting other programs and their fans... I'm quite certain he'd say something along the lines of "Beat them with your play on the court, and quit with all the childish Posted Image.". In fact, I know that's what he'd say because he said it to Noah, and got that kid to focus more on his game than the outside distractions.

But Kennedy kind of seems like that outlaw coach, so straightening out an outlaw player doesn't seem likely.

Players frequently emulate or mimic the behavior or attitudes of their coach, and Henderson was already way out there, so expecting much change from him was unlikely.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 19 January 2014 - 01:45 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image