Official 2013-2014 Basketball Thread - Page 129 - Official Game Threads - SECTalk.com - Page 129

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Official 2013-2014 Basketball Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5203 replies to this topic

Porcine

Porcine
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 19 January 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

I'm a day late, but HFS is right on the money as far as how bad it is that the two flagship universities in the state of Alabama have basketball programs that are in such sad shape. Both schools have the resources at their disposal to be top 25-40 programs on a yearly basis, which isn't setting the standard to an unattainable level at all. Both athletic programs have gotten too comfortable accepting mediocrity in men's hoops by making meh hires like Jeff Lebo or doing an awful job at promoting the program like Alabama has done under Anthony Grant.

Anyone want to guess who the second winningest basketball program is in the SEC, behind Kentucky?

It's not Florida.

Not Arkansas.

Not Vandy, Tennessee, or LSU.

It's Alabama.

So don't tell me for a minute that a Tier 1 football powerhouse can't also be a Tier 2 or 3 perrenial power in basketball, too.
In the BCS era, the SEC has allowed basketball to fade to the background like most other sports. In the last 15 years, how many great coaches has this league hired?
HelmMap.gif

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was bored so I went to check out the Rant and I saw a thread that looked awfully similar. http://www.secrant.c...reputation.aspx
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPorcine, on 19 January 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

In the BCS era, the SEC has allowed basketball to fade to the background like most other sports. In the last 15 years, how many great coaches has this league hired?
That is true.
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

Porcine

Porcine
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 19 January 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

I was bored so I went to check out the Rant and I saw a thread that looked awfully similar. http://www.secrant.c...reputation.aspx
That guy is everywhere. Is their a board Jack doesn't post on?
HelmMap.gif

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPorcine, on 19 January 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

That guy is everywhere. Is their a board Jack doesn't post on?
He goes all over the place because he always gets banned.
Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPorcine, on 19 January 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

football > basketball

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 19 January 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

I don't know.
I remember that brand spanking new arena costing over $80 million.

Who are the Big4 of the SEC?
Who is the 4th I guess is what I'm asking.

Missouri or Tennessee? I don't know haha.

Oh yeah, there's no doubt that the AU arena investment was huge; we need to do something similar soon.

But their annual expenditures on basketball aren't in the same league with lots of other programs who place a greater emphasis on basketball; but really, few SEC teams spend as much money on basketball as teams in other conferences.

I have no idea who the 4th team would be. According to UAdan's stats it'd be Bama; but before expansion I'd have said UT... now Mizzou might be more highly regarded.
Posted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

You didn't even join the site until 2010; so you have no clue how much bs was posted by UK fans about Cal and Memphis in the 4 or 5 years prior.

What's funny is you're so defensive that it doesn't even occur to you that it was my respect for the UK program and support for the SEC that made me give some credence to what UK fans said about him, and believe all the allegations in the 1st place.

That's hardly hate and it damn sure isn't worthy of being called a bitch; but I've learned to temper my expectations when it comes to the content of your "contributions".

At least you own it. You know damn well that I've consistently called Bama and UK the Godfathers of their sports in the SEC for years in here.

I didn't know jack Posted Image about Cal before I joined this site and Rivals.

I read what UK fans brought to the table, because they did some extensive homework on the topic, and the vast majority would have dropped the guy from Rupp's rafters and not thought twice about it, except to be concerned if he'd damage the court below.

If some UK fans have changed their minds, that's their prerogative; but they're also jaded at this point, and just because y'all feel differently because he's beneficial for your program doesn't erase any of the Posted Image he did or continues to do.

And it damn sure doesn't mean any of the rest of us have to change our minds that you worked so hard to inform in the first place. I still think he represents everything that's wrong with collegiate athletics and recruiting.

If he's convinced you that it's okay if kids can't read their contract, pay stub, or endorse their own paycheck because he can get them millions of dollars right away, you're entitled to agree. I don't, that's all.

It's just like with Kiffin; he's not suddenly an upstanding pillar of society and the coaching profession simply because Bama hired him.

If UK hired Petrino away from UL in a couple of years, he wouldn't cease to be a POS based solely on who writes his paycheck.

I don't alter my opinions based solely on geography or employer.

When we hired Muschamp, I hated the guy, but not because he was a scumbag, a cheater, or had character defects; I hated him because all of his defenses used to wreak havoc on UF. So liking him now is just a case of appreciating that he's now doing that for us instead of against us.

Riiiiiiight dude.  lol
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 19 January 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

Auburns spending $ is at the bottom of this conference, definitely not close to what's done elsewhere.

I went ahead and looked it up so we'd know who was most committed to having a top basketball program. Below are the basketball expenses for all 14 SEC teams last year...

UK - $13,672,723 - 18m on football
UF - $8,227,621
UAr - $8,217,023
AU - $8,016,340 - $4,518,963 in 2010 before they started building the new arena.
VU - $7,084,431
USC - $6,535,615
TAMU - $6,373,598
Bama - $6,354,140
Mizzou - $6,351,687
UGA - $5,953,014
OM - $5,490,301
UT - $4,856,478
MSU - $4,312,955

So, it IS true that AU spends nearly as much as the top programs; but only in the last couple of years while building the $80 million arena... typically their spending on basketball is next to last in the conference.

I was a little surprised at how low UT was; but their AD has been operating in the red the last couple of years, so it's understandable they currently have less to spend.

Also, I noticed that UK spends so much maintaining the basketball program that they only spend $18 miilion and change on football, which is $5-23 million less than most other SEC programs.
Posted Image

hog_heaven

hog_heaven
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

I went ahead and looked it up so we'd know who was most committed to having a top basketball program. Below are the basketball expenses for all 14 SEC teams last year...

UF - $8,227,621
UAr - $8,217,023
AU - $8,016,340 - $4,518,963 in 2010 before they started building the new arena.
VU - $7,084,431
USC - $6,535,615
TAMU - $6,373,598
Bama - $6,354,140
Mizzou - $6,351,687
UGA - $5,953,014
OM - $5,490,301
UT - $4,856,478
MSU - $4,312,955

So, it IS true that AU spends nearly as much as the top programs; but only in the last couple of years while building the $80 million arena... typically their spending on basketball is next to last in the conference.

I was a little surprised at how low UT was; but their AD has been operating in the red the last couple of years, so it's understandable they currently have less to spend.

Also, I noticed that UK spends so much maintaining the basketball program that they only spend $18 miilion and change on football, which is $5-23 million less than most other SEC programs.

Awesome. We spend over $8.2 million on basketball... can't win away from home unless it's against Auby. FML...

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 19 January 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Riiiiiiight dude.  lol

Touche, brilliant retort. You do know that when someone suggests that you have a lot of work to do before you're a master debater that the suggestion has nothing to do with some K-Y and a sock right? That's something else that sounds similar.
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

UF - $8,227,621
UAr - $8,217,023
VU - $7,084,431
USC - $6,535,615
TAMU - $6,373,598
Bama - $6,354,140
Mizzou - $6,351,687
UGA - $5,953,014
OM - $5,490,301
UT - $4,856,478
MSU - $4,312,955

But that is exactly wh Kentucky fans are fed up with Posted Imagety football results.  That money for basketball all comes from basketball revenue.  We don't pull money from football to prop up basketball here; basketball pays for itself.  Typically football revenue here is used to prop up all of the other programs and the university itself. Football is profitable here but the profits don't ever go back into the program, until now. We should have more money to spend on football than almost everyone because of basketball, but  I staff we have greed, stupidity, and mismanagement.

Edited by PuddingTime, 19 January 2014 - 06:22 PM.

"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

SECats

SECats

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

Touche, brilliant retort. You do know that when someone suggests that you have a lot of work to do before you're a master debater that the suggestion has nothing to do with some K-Y and a sock right? That's something else that sounds similar.

You are a piece of work man.  Lol

I've done all the debating I need to do regarding this subject.  You are speaking on things pertaining to UK/Cal that you know nothing about.

End of discussion from my end.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 19 January 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

You are a piece of work man.  Lol

I've done all the debating I need to do regarding this subject.  You are speaking on things pertaining to UK/Cal that you know nothing about.

End of discussion from my end.

Why don't you stop pretending to be an insider and just tell everyone what you KNOW.
That way people will know whether or not they can take you seriously.

Spoiler Alert: they won't.

SECats

SECats

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 19 January 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Why don't you stop pretending to be an insider and just tell everyone what you KNOW.
That way people will know whether or not they can take you seriously.

Spoiler Alert: they won't.

You don't have to be "an insider" to know what I know...you just have to not be ignorant...oh and watch the news from Lexington.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users