Florida Gators' Matt Jones out for season - Florida Sports - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Florida Gators' Matt Jones out for season

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
http://www.floridato...ones-out-season

GAINESVILLE -- Florida suffered another devastating injury on Saturday as Gators coach Will Muschamp announced Monday that Matt Jones, the team's top running back, is out for the season with a torn meniscus.

UF also lost defensive tackle Dominique Easley for the year with a knee injury, quarterback Jeff Driskel has a broken leg and Chaz Green (knee) didn't make it to the start of the season.

"Very unfortunate,'' Muschamp said of Jones, who led the Gators with 292 yards on 61 attempts. "I hate it for Matt going through what he's been through this fall.''
Jones missed preseason with a viral infection.

"Again, we've got man down, man up . . . we recruited well at the position,'' Muschamp said.

Muschamp said he found out about the seriousness on Sunday afternoon.
That leaves Mack Brown and Kelvin Taylor to handle the bulk of the carries. Taylor had 52 yards on 10 attempts in Saturday's 17-6 loss at LSU. Brown is No. 2 behind Jones with 199 yards this season and had 56 on 15 attempts vs. LSU.

Jones was knocked out of the game on his fourth carry.

Florida plays at Missouri on Saturday.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Man i am sick of seeing kids get theirs knees torn up. Hope he gets well soon.  Hate to see this, even from a rival school whom I don't care much for. Jones has been through a lot this year already. Wish him the best.

Edited by Dawgfan4life24, 14 October 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

gatorbait2014

gatorbait2014
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was just about to post this. Whats this, like 4 or 5 starters we have lost for the year? DeBose, Green, Driskel, Easley, now Jones. Not to mention Roberson missing nearly every game. At least we have the depth at nearly every position we have lost a starter at to replace them with the glaring exception of Easley. But theres only so far that the depth can take us. We are pretty thin at multiple positions by now.  Heres hoping Mack Brown and Taylor can pick up the slack at RB
Posted Image

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The number of starters that Florida has lost is unbelievable.  And at key positions.  Wow...
Posted Image
Formerly known as gatorhater

gatorbait2014

gatorbait2014
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kinda related: Punter Kyle Christy officially lost his job to Freshman Johnny Townsend. For those who don't know, Christy was a Ray Guy award finalist last year as a sophomore.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think Choate is Posted Imageing Christy up. As for RB's, Kelvin has shown flashes of brilliance carrying the ball already, but like many freshmen has struggled to pick up his other responsibilities, like blocking in the backfield.

I had already lowered my expectations somewhat, but it's safe to say they're a bit lower now.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Wow...I hate to hear that.  I don't know who's more snake bit with injuries so far this season, UGA or UF.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Throw it in the dirt! (DIRT!)

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sucks for florida, they have already lost so many starters.

Posted Image

#12 Ole Miss Rebels Baseball

30-12 (10-8)

Next Series: @Kentucky

Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sad to hear that. Hate seeing injuries, hope he's OK. Kelvin Taylor looked pretty good against LSU.

gatorbait2014

gatorbait2014
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGATORSFAN21, on 14 October 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Sad to hear that. Hate seeing injuries, hope he's OK. Kelvin Taylor looked pretty good against LSU.

I have some cautious optimism with Taylor. He is obviously talented but there has to be a reason he hasn't really played until LSU. I have a feeling its pass blocking, like @GatorUnvrsty suggested, which is what we just lost with Jones being out for the year and being our best pass blocker at the RB position
Posted Image

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postgatorbait2014, on 14 October 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

I have some cautious optimism with Taylor. He is obviously talented but there has to be a reason he hasn't really played until LSU. I have a feeling its pass blocking, like @GatorUnvrsty suggested, which is what we just lost with Jones being out for the year and being our best pass blocker at the RB position

To be fair, he's only a freshman. For now, I think we should go with Mack Brown. Though both should get some playing time. Also, doesn't Mack Brown do poor against the blitz?

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Wish the kid all the best. On a side note if either of our teams break 20 points it'll be a miracle.
2013 SEC EAST CHAMPS.... M-I-Z!!!!

Posted Image

gatorbait2014

gatorbait2014
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGATORSFAN21, on 14 October 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

To be fair, he's only a freshman. For now, I think we should go with Mack Brown. Though both should get some playing time. Also, doesn't Mack Brown do poor against the blitz?

I agree about going with Brown. He obviously has talent too (4-star coming in, what he's done with his chances this year) so there has to be something he cant do real well and picking up a blitz would be a pretty solid guess
Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I hate that. As far as all the rash of injuries, I have to think the "no targeting rule" is having something to do with it. Been seeing all year, these guys coming in full tilt and hitting low. Nobody's knees are going to hold up to that. The rule is making defenders scared to hit high at all and now its the knees taking the hits. NCAA needs to rethink the targeting rule IMO.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGATORSFAN21, on 14 October 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Typically yes, that's why he hasn't played much until now, his junior season, despite being pretty good with the ball in his hands... it's not enough to just be a good ball carrier, you have to know the playbook and your assignments.

However, I've been watching him in the backfield specifically to see if he's improved at all this year, and he's been better... I saw him pick up some blocks in the backfield against LSU and it seemed like he did a pretty good job.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users