Helmet Rule - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Helmet Rule

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I still don't understand the rule that when a player loses his helmet he has to leave the field. I'm watching the William and Mary vs WVU game and it looked like the guy purposely ripped off the running back's helmet when there was a pile near the goal line.

Maroonblood

Maroonblood
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Happened against LSU last night too.  I think it's stupid.  I don't care if it was ripped off or fell off.  Allow the player to put the damn helmet back on and continue to play.  Stupid rule.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMaroonblood, on 01 September 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

Happened against LSU last night too.  I think it's stupid.  I don't care if it was ripped off or fell off.  Allow the player to put the damn helmet back on and continue to play.  Stupid rule.
I don't understand why they would make the rule, What's it supposed to do, help with player safety?

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Only thing the rule really does is give the NCAA something to point to and say" see, we're really pushing for player safety". I can understand them saying"if a player loses a helmet he can't attempt to make any tackles and is out for that particular play", but taking him out for the next play does absolutely nothing.

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Buckle your chinstraps. This is the second year of if. Players and equipment managers should have figured our a way for the helmets to stay on by now.

Edited by Matt, 01 September 2013 - 06:29 AM.

Maroonblood

Maroonblood
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 01 September 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

I don't understand why they would make the rule, What's it supposed to do, help with player safety?

It takes what.....a whole 3 seconds to put the helmet back on?

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
A Florida defender lost his helmet with 26 seconds left in the half. The refs then had a 10 second runoff. Does anyone know if that is how it's supposed to be called? If so, the rule is way worse than I originally thought.

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If you wear your chinstrap tight enough with all 4 snapped, it should be near impossible to take off. I don't agree with the rule, but it's saying tighten up your damn helmets. Before the rule was implemented, helmets went flying off way too often because players didn't wear them tight enough. Whether it's because of dreads or something else, a lot of players don't wear the helmet tight enough.

For those reasons mainly, I think it's needed. Sucks that it can be used against players though as well.

Posted Image

Maroonblood

Maroonblood
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 21 September 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

If you wear your chinstrap tight enough with all 4 snapped, it should be near impossible to take off. I don't agree with the rule, but it's saying tighten up your damn helmets. Before the rule was implemented, helmets went flying off way too often because players didn't wear them tight enough. Whether it's because of dreads or something else, a lot of players don't wear the helmet tight enough.

For those reasons mainly, I think it's needed. Sucks that it can be used against players though as well.

I agree to an extent.  I'm all for tightening up your chin strap.  I hate seeing players running around with part of their chin strap unbuckled.  

What needs to be looked in to more ate players such as the oline pulling off the helmets of the defensive player.  Seen that a lot this year.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMaroonblood, on 21 September 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

I agree to an extent.  I'm all for tightening up your chin strap.  I hate seeing players running around with part of their chin strap unbuckled.  

What needs to be looked in to more ate players such as the oline pulling off the helmets of the defensive player.  Seen that a lot this year.
They could make it a judgment call but I'm not sure if the refs would do a good enough job or not.

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 31 August 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

I still don't understand the rule that when a player loses his helmet he has to leave the field. I'm watching the William and Mary vs WVU game and it looked like the guy purposely ripped off the running back's helmet when there was a pile near the goal line.

You (along with everyone else) don't understand it because it makes absolutely no sense.

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 31 August 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

The reasoning was that if if your helmet pops off, it was either ripped off, or you didn't have it fastened properly in the first place (a valid point, as a lot of players weren't fastening their chin straps correctly).

So if it pops off and it wasn't ripped off (ie., if a facemask penalty wasn't assessed), you get to sit a play.
Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users