Ever take someone to small claims court? - Page 3 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Ever take someone to small claims court?

* - - - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 10 June 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Is it worth it? If you win, are you guaranteed to get your money back?

Long story short, I loaned a very good friend $1400 dollars back in Jan. He has paid me back $190, but nothing since Feb. I'm in SC and he's in Texas, so can I even sue him here?

Yes I know to never loan anyone money ever again, so please no lectures. Just curious if anyone has ever had to deal with this.
Thanks

Your liberal.... that should be par for the course

But do you have anything in writing with a signature that you loaned him money with his intent to pay you back?
"Sometimes you need to decide which mountaintop you want to die on." John Dixon

Posted Image

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCrimsoNation713, on 12 June 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

gotta C note I can borrow ?

Your friendship is worth about 62 cents. Just for the record ;)
Posted Image
Formerly known as gatorhater

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHerschel Talker, on 12 June 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Your friendship is worth about 62 cents. Just for the record ;)
I'll take it !
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 12 June 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

But do you have anything in writing with a signature that you loaned him money with his intent to pay you back?

Verbal agreements, or oral contracts, are as binding as written ones. The ability to prove there was an oral contract is another matter, but it's one that gets resolved all the time either by the judge after listening to the testimony about the event and deciding who is more credible or by a witness to the agreement.

For example, few people are going to give a 4-figure "gift" to someone they're not in a relationship with; they're going to expect that money back. And if it's determined during the testimony that the borrower was in some kind of predicament (broken down car, unexpected illness, high bill, etc.) or emergency that he could not afford to resolve by himself, the judge may reasonably assume the request was to borrow the money because he was desperate for help.

People requesting help because they're desperate don't typically ask for gifts at that point (too great a risk of being turned down); they ask or beg for a favor... and a favor is usually a loan.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 12 June 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

As Dave Ramsey would say....just chalk it up as "stupid tax".  We all pay it at times, some more than others.  Learn your lesson and move along.

Nah. If I end up not getting the money back, that's one thing, but I'll take him to court and do my best to make him regret doing this. I literally feel at this point that its not about the money anymore, it is about him learning not to use and abuse his friends. He's 30, time to be a man and keep (or at least try to keep) his word.

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 12 June 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Friends, renters, employees. I've been in several different situations.

I've also "loaned" money with no expectation of getting it back, but not 4-figure money; I don't give gifts like that to just anybody.

This is my take on a 4-figure loan to someone I consider a friend.

If I'm a good enough friend to make the loan, and it becomes clear the other person is just taking advantage of me, then obviously I'm the only person who values the friendship; so I no longer worry that taking them to court will ruin the friendship, since I'm obviously the only one being a friend.

I wouldn't care if the person paid $10 a month to pay off the $1000; that'd be just fine, and tells me the person understands his responsibility and the 2-way nature of friendship.

If I loan someone a significant amount that the borrower never even attempts to repay, or if I make repeated loans, even after never being repaid for previous ones, I'm not being a good friend; I'm buying friendship.

Excellent post. I agree 100%
Posted Image

You have received an infraction at SECTalk Forums.
Reason: Inappropriate Language and Going Off The Deep End ~ GAMECOCK_FAN

Just another ho hum racial and political day on SECTalk, nothing to see here. ~ Tider27

Best Rivalry on SECTalk? "NYIH vs everybody else in the Political Forum..." ~ DELTOR

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUskip07, on 12 June 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

You're liberal*

And yes, I've got the signed check that says it was a loan. Not to mention a dozen texts and FB messages saying that he is going to pay me back.

Edited by NextYearIsHere, 12 June 2013 - 04:26 PM.

Posted Image

You have received an infraction at SECTalk Forums.
Reason: Inappropriate Language and Going Off The Deep End ~ GAMECOCK_FAN

Just another ho hum racial and political day on SECTalk, nothing to see here. ~ Tider27

Best Rivalry on SECTalk? "NYIH vs everybody else in the Political Forum..." ~ DELTOR

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The liberals feel the same...color me shocked.  Lol
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users