Ever take someone to small claims court? - Page 2 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Ever take someone to small claims court?

* - - - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
`It will cost you more in the long run. Getting someone to serve him then him not even showing up to court. Your stuck with court costs. blah blah blah

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It was good of you to help a friend.I wouldn't jump to conclusions as to why he hasn't  payed you back. Contact him and see how he is doing and give him a chance to offer an explanation.

I wouldn't  give him any more cash,but really good friends are good to have unless they are purposely taking advantage of you.

Anyways,I"d not take him to court,you can't get blood out of a turnip.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 11 June 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Good points all around. While my friend is not swimming in cash, he does have a steady but modest income. I'd be happy if he'd just pay me $50 a month, just to show that even though it won't be paid off soon, it means something to him.

I feel like he's using the friendship and the distance (he lives in Texas, we used to work together in Korea) to avoid paying. There is a part of me that wants to take him to court just to show him you can't do this to people

Done it several times; it's quite simple and definitely worth it.

Last time I had to do it, it cost a measely $60 to file it and you don't even need an attorney. If you win the judgment, the person you sued has to pay your court costs, including the $60 you paid to file the claim.

What frequently happens is the other person doesn't even bother showing up to answer the suit; in which case you win by default, and a judgment is rendered in your favor... and you can also then garnish his wages (the court will determine a monthly amount based on his income and bills).

If you just let it go, he'll do it again to somebody else... folks rarely change behavior unless the consequences are painful enough.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 11 June 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Done it several times; it's quite simple and definitely worth it.

Last time I had to do it, it cost a measely $60 to file it and you don't even need an attorney. If you win the judgment, the person you sued has to pay your court costs, including the $60 you paid to file the claim.

What frequently happens is the other person doesn't even bother showing up to answer the suit; in which case you win by default, and a judgment is rendered in your favor... and you can also then garnish his wages (the court will determine a monthly amount based on his income and bills).

If you just let it go, he'll do it again to somebody else... folks rarely change behavior unless the consequences are painful enough.

We're these patients or friends?

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The friendship is apparently over, imo. Somehow friends and money don't mix.
Posted Image

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My friends and I would and did give the shirts off our back to help one another. We were lucky I guess.

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Taking him to court will end the friendship. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider
Posted Image
Formerly known as gatorhater

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My college roommate loaned me a couple grand when I was getting divorced. I wanted to pay him back, but just couldn't seem to get it all together for several months. Eventually, he just called me and said to consider it a gift and never pay him back. A year later, some friends asked me to borrow a big chunk of money and I refused. I just gave it to them instead.

I wouldn't do that for everybody. A somewhat distant friend asking to borrow $500 might get a $100 gift. But as a rule, I don't loan money. I give according to how much I can afford to live without and honestly, it varies as to how much I value the relationship.
Posted Image

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • Cash:
take jiu jitsu for 3 weeks, take a week off, go to texas and choke that mofo out. wont leave a mark, then hit the beach for the other 6 days and fly back.

problem solved.
Posted Image   

Seriously. A season I will never forget.

Posted Image

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
P.S. I'm in Texas all week. I can beat it out of him for a small fee.

$1400 sound good?
Posted Image

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • Cash:
what if his friend is lebron?
Posted Image   

Seriously. A season I will never forget.

Posted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
As Dave Ramsey would say....just chalk it up as "stupid tax".  We all pay it at times, some more than others.  Learn your lesson and move along.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 11 June 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

what if his friend is lebron?

I would let Lebron beat me down for $1400
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostL.A.Hog, on 11 June 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

We're these patients or friends?

Friends, renters, employees. I've been in several different situations.

I've also "loaned" money with no expectation of getting it back, but not 4-figure money; I don't give gifts like that to just anybody.

This is my take on a 4-figure loan to someone I consider a friend.

If I'm a good enough friend to make the loan, and it becomes clear the other person is just taking advantage of me, then obviously I'm the only person who values the friendship; so I no longer worry that taking them to court will ruin the friendship, since I'm obviously the only one being a friend.

I wouldn't care if the person paid $10 a month to pay off the $1000; that'd be just fine, and tells me the person understands his responsibility and the 2-way nature of friendship.

If I loan someone a significant amount that the borrower never even attempts to repay, or if I make repeated loans, even after never being repaid for previous ones, I'm not being a good friend; I'm buying friendship.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHerschel Talker, on 11 June 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

My college roommate loaned me a couple grand when I was getting divorced. I wanted to pay him back, but just couldn't seem to get it all together for several months. Eventually, he just called me and said to consider it a gift and never pay him back. A year later, some friends asked me to borrow a big chunk of money and I refused. I just gave it to them instead.

I wouldn't do that for everybody. A somewhat distant friend asking to borrow $500 might get a $100 gift. But as a rule, I don't loan money. I give according to how much I can afford to live without and honestly, it varies as to how much I value the relationship.
gotta C note I can borrow ?
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users