Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes - Page 6 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 6

Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.


Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#76
ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,310
  • Joined:
    Sep 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    299
I have the SEC going 5-7 in the 12 first week OOC games in 2013. How tough does he want it?

#77
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,032
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    13,110

View PostDallas13, on 13 June 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Certainly the SEC is heads & shoulders above the rest of the country, but if we're ever goin to get the other conferences to stop raggin' on our schedules we need to drop the "cupcakes".  Yes, it is brutal week in & week out in conf. We should be playing a stiffer non-conf schedule to prepare for the SEC onslaught.  Forgive me for the "heresy" here but Southern Cal plays a very tough non-conf schedule with no ill affects "most years" and we always rag on them for being in the Pac.  Plus I would venture it would add some really great rivalries going forward.  The SEC rules!!

I agree some of the SEC schools need to get their shit together. They don't have to play a bunch of tough teams, but at least play decent opponents. One cupcake is good....2-3 is unacceptable.

But so cal doesn't play great OOC games. They have notre dame every year, but other than that they played:

2012- hawaii and syracuse

2011- minnesota and syracuse

2010- hawaii, virginia, and minnesota

before that they did have a home and away with ohio state....but notre dame was down at that time too...and they played san jose state one of those years and virginia the other.

#78
ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,310
  • Joined:
    Sep 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    299

View Postcocky4ever, on 17 June 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

I agree some of the SEC schools need to get their shit together. They don't have to play a bunch of tough teams, but at least play decent opponents. One cupcake is good....2-3 is unacceptable.

But so cal doesn't play great OOC games. They have notre dame every year, but other than that they played:

2012- hawaii and syracuse

2011- minnesota and syracuse

2010- hawaii, virginia, and minnesota

before that they did have a home and away with ohio state....but notre dame was down at that time too...and they played san jose state one of those years and virginia the other.

Southern Cal has not played a non-1A team since 1945. I suppose there was no other choice during WWII if you were going to field a team. I wish I could say the same for Bama, although, like USC in '45, Bama had little choice in  1966. Tulane withdrew from the SEC in July and requested to be removed from the Bama schedule.  Non-1A (at the time) La Tech was probably the only option. Not too many teams with an open date on their schedule two months prior to the start of the season.

#79
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,610
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,459
I'm getting confused. So just what is a cupcake? I've seen la tech teams that could kick Minnesota, Syracuse, Washington state, Kansas, Virginia, duke, and several others azz up and down the field. Are we just looking for names or really good football teams?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

#80
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,032
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    13,110

View Postbbqit, on 17 June 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I'm getting confused. So just what is a cupcake? I've seen la tech teams that could kick Minnesota, Syracuse, Washington state, Kansas, Virginia, duke, and several others azz up and down the field. Are we just looking for names or really good football teams?

It doesn't have to be a really good football team.....but it shouldn't be a really bad one.

#81
ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,310
  • Joined:
    Sep 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    299

View Postbbqit, on 17 June 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I'm getting confused. So just what is a cupcake? I've seen la tech teams that could kick Minnesota, Syracuse, Washington state, Kansas, Virginia, duke, and several others azz up and down the field. Are we just looking for names or really good football teams?

Eliminate the non-1A games for starters. TV revenue for OOC games based on SOS would probably nail it.

#82
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,610
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,459

View Postcocky4ever, on 17 June 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

It doesn't have to be a really good football team.....but it shouldn't be a really bad one.
but how can you tell who will be really good and really bad 5 years down the road? Look at ark and auburn over the last 5 years. Those teams changed a sos quite a bit. I think all they are looking for is a name to sell for tv. Say Louisiana Monroe is better than Washington state, yet which game do they want for tv money? All they are doing is kicking the lower tier down farther than ever before.

Edited by bbqit, 18 June 2013 - 05:14 AM.

Du-te la dracu 'LSU

#83
ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,310
  • Joined:
    Sep 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    299

View Postbbqit, on 18 June 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

but how can you tell who will be really good and really bad 5 years down the road? Look at ark and auburn over the last 5 years. Those teams changed a sos quite a bit. I think all they are looking for is a name to sell for tv. Say Louisiana Monroe is better than Washington state, yet which game do they want for tv money? All they are doing is kicking the lower tier down farther than ever before.

Since the NCAA didn't have control of the TV money, the only option they had to give the 1AAs a big payday was to add the 12th game and remove the restriction of 1As playing them only once every four years. Would have been much better if there had just been a way to give them a slice of the TV money.The 1A conferences need to figure that out and quit playing them. Pay them rather than play them. The TV money would be large enough because of not playing them to do so.

At that point, the lower tier of the 1As may find it better to move back to 1AA. Make 1AA a big Welfare State. Like the USA, the 'haves' take care of the 'have nots'.

Edited by ALA2262, 18 June 2013 - 05:49 AM.


#84
hog_heaven

hog_heaven
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    4,321
  • Joined:
    Jul 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,508
I say we all schedule one game against a "Welfare State" 1AA team and the rest be against Big 10, Big 12, ACC, PAC 12, etc... Doesn't matter if they are good at the time you are playing them, just that they are from a "power conference"

IMO

#85
ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,310
  • Joined:
    Sep 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    299
I say to hell with them. Neither pay them nor play them. Let them find a Division that they can survive. If they can't make it in 1A, then go to 1AA. If they can't make it there, then go to Division II. Etc.

I say play nine conference games, one Top 40 1A, one Middle 40 1A, and one Bottom 40 1A. If they have moved around in those levels by the time you play them, then good or bad for them depending on which way they moved. Once they get these bridge schedules worked out, the conference games will be scheduled in 10 year bundles. Meaning the SOS of a conference team will not be same when played as when scheduled. Same with OOC games.

Edited by ALA2262, 18 June 2013 - 07:16 AM.


#86
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,610
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,459
Playing 12 games I have no problem with playing 2 lower tier teams. We owe them a hand up not a hand out. That leaves 10 games to do what you wish with. 9 conference and one bcs or 8 conference and 2 bcs. That should be good enough for anybody.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

#87
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,032
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    13,110

View Postbbqit, on 18 June 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Playing 12 games I have no problem with playing 2 lower tier teams. We owe them a hand up not a hand out. That leaves 10 games to do what you wish with. 9 conference and one bcs or 8 conference and 2 bcs. That should be good enough for anybody.

That would work good for me. SC always plays clemson and usually a decent-good NC school, then a team from a non AQ conference and an FCS school from inside the state. Help the smaller schools pay for things and keep the money in state. I think most people would agree that doing away with those games completely would be bad for a lot of people.

#88
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,032
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    13,110

View PostALA2262, on 17 June 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

I have the SEC going 5-7 in the 12 first week OOC games in 2013. How tough does he want it?


please tell me the 7 teams that will lose

#89
ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,310
  • Joined:
    Sep 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    299

View Postcocky4ever, on 18 June 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

please tell me the 7 teams that will lose

UGA, UK, SC, au, LSU, MSU, and ATM. I have SC starting 0-2 and finishing 10-2.

#90
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,610
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,459
All I know is greed is stronger than mother nature and all this money is taking us down that path. We need to be careful how we handle this.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU