Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes - Page 3 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.


Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#31
FrankBowl

FrankBowl
  • Members
  • Posts:
    21
  • Joined:
    Jan 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    7
If the purpose of a cupcake game is to give a team a rest, and not intended to be a true ahtletic competition, then it should be an exhibition game.

#32
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    18,076
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,727

View Postcocky4ever, on 04 June 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:



Yeah I get what you're saying. But I think y'all can find tougher opponents that should still equal a win. Play a Baylor or hell even southern miss. That's better than Troy or southeast missouri

it will happen. we are still playing the schedule boone set up before the uprising which lead to boone's release.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

#33
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    18,076
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,727
all this seems to me, maybe me only, that this is the beginning of getting rid of lower tier teams. they fund a lot of sports on a low budget and need this money. I know I probably wouldn't even notice if they didn't play ball but its a charity that can disappear.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

#34
PuddingTime

PuddingTime

    Stoops Does Work

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    39,956
  • Joined:
    Oct 2006
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    9,904

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 04 June 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:


You could still get some low FBS time instead of scheduling FCS schools. If you want a guarenteed win, just play kansas.
Precisely why I want Kentucky to renew the UK-IU game.
Posted Image

#35
SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

    Take the highway to the end of the night

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    10,811
  • Joined:
    Jan 2007
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,169
I wish the players had a say in these things. They are the ones who have to deal with it.
Posted Image

#36
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    18,076
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,727

View PostFrankBowl, on 04 June 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

If the purpose of a cupcake game is to give a team a rest, and not intended to be a true ahtletic competition, then it should be an exhibition game.


it also gives bench warmers much needed playing time you can't get during practice.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

#37
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,846
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,587
So Slive wants everyone to have an instate or close state OOC game added to its SEC slate? UK v ville, SC v Clemson, UGA v GT, Fl v FSU, style. Well thats nice. And to that add a big non regular helmet school.

So UT doesnt have an instate or near state rival to play and we already schedule a big block buster name every year. The closest to us would be VaTech so this year we would play them and Oregon? Next year its Oklahoma. That just seems a bit much.

Posted Image


#38
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,241
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    13,401

View Postsmokeyone, on 05 June 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

So Slive wants everyone to have an instate or close state OOC game added to its SEC slate? UK v ville, SC v Clemson, UGA v GT, Fl v FSU, style. Well thats nice. And to that add a big non regular helmet school.

So UT doesnt have an instate or near state rival to play and we already schedule a big block buster name every year. The closest to us would be VaTech so this year we would play them and Oregon? Next year its Oklahoma. That just seems a bit much.

2 tough OOC games is too much?? And they don't have to all be great teams, just as long as they aren't bullshit teams. 1 game against a top 15 team, one against a team that may flirt with the top 25. Then another decent FBS team and a cupcake.

I think a good rule of thumb is" if it's from an BCS conference then schedule a team around the same standing in their conference as your team is in the SEC"...no flaming, but that leaves UT playing some weaker acc or big ten teams. Easily beatable, but better than a cupcake.

#39
bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    18,076
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,727
or is it they just don't want them to lose to a bs team? app st? Jacksonville st? maine? bet we can name quite a few.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

#40
SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

    Take the highway to the end of the night

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    10,811
  • Joined:
    Jan 2007
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,169

View Postbbqit, on 06 June 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

or is it they just don't want them to lose to a bs team? app st? Jacksonville st? maine? bet we can name quite a few.

It certainly happens. You can even expect it to happen to somebody every season. And you are right about the guys who are further down the list getting PT. The "easier" games are the ones where they can can get the experience they will need when they find themselves unexpectedly called upon to come in and take the place of what COULD be one of the star players. These guys are vital to the team. Their time will come, but they oftentimes have to be ready to step up a little early!
Posted Image

#41
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,241
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    13,401

View PostSheLuvsBama, on 06 June 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:



It certainly happens. You can even expect it to happen to somebody every season. And you are right about the guys who are further down the list getting PT. The "easier" games are the ones where they can can get the experience they will need when they find themselves unexpectedly called upon to come in and take the place of what COULD be one of the star players. These guys are vital to the team. Their time will come, but they oftentimes have to be ready to step up a little early!

But let's be honest...they see tougher competition in practice than they would see from a lot of the teams some of these schools are scheduling. And it's not like they're getting road experience. No SEC team is gonna play @ troy

#42
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,846
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,587

View Postcocky4ever, on 06 June 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:



2 tough OOC games is too much?? And they don't have to all be great teams, just as long as they aren't bullshit teams. 1 game against a top 15 team, one against a team that may flirt with the top 25. Then another decent FBS team and a cupcake.

I think a good rule of thumb is" if it's from an BCS conference then schedule a team around the same standing in their conference as your team is in the SEC"...no flaming, but that leaves UT playing some weaker acc or big ten teams. Easily beatable, but better than a cupcake.

UT has a history of scheduling a big name from other geographical regions to help with its national recruiting. We dont have an average to below average neighbor OOC we play every year. That my point. You never see the rest of the SEC playing UCLA, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame ect in home and homes. Hell most of the SEC can bus to its OOC games.


Arky has played 1 helmet at the Helmet since joining the SEC (USC)
Bama has done it 5 times
AUburn has done it 6 times
Florida hasnt left the florida for am OOC game since 1992(I used this date for Arky and SC)
UGA 3 times 2 of the 3 were Clemson.
UK plays Cincy and Indiana every now and then
LSU has 6
OLe Miss has 3
State has 5
SC has left sc 4 times to play OOC and all but 1 was with a NC school.
UT has 8 games
Vandy is the only SEC school that has played more than 10 away OOC BCS schools since 1992.

You want more exciting OOC games? Play outside state and add variety. Play on the west coast and against northern school and bring them to your stadium for a return game. OOC rivals are fine and all but they stagnate the schedule. The SEC is looked at as a regional conference that never leaves its comfort zone and that needs to change. I would like to see us schedule other conferences every few years. Have an SEC v BIG 10ish home and home then a SEC v PAC12 rotate through the conferences and give folks games they can only see on an xbox. That would do more for the schedule than kissing your instate cousin and a neutral site meh game.

Posted Image


#43
JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    21,651
  • Joined:
    Apr 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    12,959
We will never play anyone noteworthy besides FSU now.
This year's game with Miami is the last scheduled meeting and there haven't been any talks at all about the future.

We don't play more big names because our revenue model requires seven home games every year.

#44
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,846
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,587

View PostJoeGator, on 06 June 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

We will never play anyone noteworthy besides FSU now.
This year's game with Miami is the last scheduled meeting and there haven't been any talks at all about the future.

We don't play more big names because our revenue model requires seven home games every year.
maybe with more TV money yall can find a way.

Posted Image


#45
A10Rebel

A10Rebel

    brrrrrrrrttt....

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    3,658
  • Joined:
    Sep 2011
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,486
Cupcakes wins build team morale and confidence.

That's it, that's all I got.