Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postmachineguntiger, on 31 May 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

slive's not saying drop every cupcake team on the schedule , but he is saying make an effort to have more than one good team on the schedule

Right. I'm all for two good ooc teams. Two powder puffs and a bye week.

Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
this may hurt those so called soft ooc teams more than it will help the sec. they get a lot of revenue playing those games we take for "granite". if they want 2 teams from power conferences so be it but no more than that. playing those softer teams also gives players on the depth chart playing time which comes in handy when injuries start to pile on. got have a few in there.

as for anybody saying ole miss has had a weak schedule you really aren't looking at it properly. lets take two games on our schedule. Alabama and lsu. who is the game harder for? Alabama? Lsu? or Ole Miss? We have been making their schedule easy while ours is hard so why bust our balls if we play Tulane?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Tough OOC games will keep the little guys down.

So I guess I'm OK with it.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 03 June 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

this may hurt those so called soft ooc teams more than it will help the sec. they get a lot of revenue playing those games we take for "granite". if they want 2 teams from power conferences so be it but no more than that. playing those softer teams also gives players on the depth chart playing time which comes in handy when injuries start to pile on. got have a few in there.

as for anybody saying ole miss has had a weak schedule you really aren't looking at it properly. lets take two games on our schedule. Alabama and lsu. who is the game harder for? Alabama? Lsu? or Ole Miss? We have been making their schedule easy while ours is hard so why bust our balls if we play Tulane?

Playing Tulane is fine, but you need to throw some quality in there. No one was complaining when the checks were passed out, but with the tv contracts and new SEC network they'll be pushing for better games. Plus teams will be getting 2 bye weeks now so it'll soften the blow of a tough schedule.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I want us to play Miami twice more so we can take the series lead, then never schedule them again.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 03 June 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

I want us to play Miami twice more so we can take the series lead, then never schedule them again.

Hell, as bad as they are now I'd want to schedule them every year if I was a Gator.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 03 June 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

Playing Tulane is fine, but you need to throw some quality in there. No one was complaining when the checks were passed out, but with the tv contracts and new SEC network they'll be pushing for better games. Plus teams will be getting 2 bye weeks now so it'll soften the blow of a tough schedule.
I think playing texas, ark, bama, lsu, aub, vandy, msu is pretty dang good start.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 03 June 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Hell, as bad as they are now I'd want to schedule them every year if I was a Gator.

Nah, I don't want to give them any relevant games.
They make us do home-and-homes.
Even though we are the ones filling their stadium, they reap the reward$.

shamoan

shamoan

Technique is a crutch for the talentless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
what a joke about mike slive wanting this....slive is now espn's bitch, so he is just the messenger from espn....

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postshamoan, on 03 June 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

what a joke about mike slive wanting this....slive is now espn's bitch, so he is just the messenger from espn....

if you're scared just say you're scared....

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 03 June 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

I think playing texas, ark, bama, lsu, aub, vandy, msu is pretty dang good start.

But playing southeast missouri, idaho, and troy is weak. One of those is fine...but the other two should be tougher. It doesn't have to be great teams, but at least find decent teams to play. Look at SC's schedule....unc= good(8-4 last year), ucf= decent(10-4 last year I think), then a cupcake in coastal carolina for our glorified scrimmage, and clemson = good(11-2 last year). Good decent competition but teams we should beat. I'm sure Ole Miss could find opponents like that.

Like I said, no one had a problem cashing the checks, but when it's time to earn em some teams want to let the others do more of the work.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 03 June 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

But playing southeast missouri, idaho, and troy is weak. One of those is fine...but the other two should be tougher. It doesn't have to be great teams, but at least find decent teams to play. Look at SC's schedule....unc= good(8-4 last year), ucf= decent(10-4 last year I think), then a cupcake in coastal carolina for our glorified scrimmage, and clemson = good(11-2 last year). Good decent competition but teams we should beat. I'm sure Ole Miss could find opponents like that.

Like I said, no one had a problem cashing the checks, but when it's time to earn em some teams want to let the others do more of the work.

yes it must be nice to have a top 10 team. when you aren't those so called decent teams to play become tougher games. usce has a top 10 team so playing ky shouldn't be as hard for you as ky playing you is. or say usc plays Louisville and so does ky. which team has it easier that day? now I always have said "bring it" to what ever team was on our schedule but I think you are missing my point.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 04 June 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

yes it must be nice to have a top 10 team. when you aren't those so called decent teams to play become tougher games. usce has a top 10 team so playing ky shouldn't be as hard for you as ky playing you is. or say usc plays Louisville and so does ky. which team has it easier that day? now I always have said "bring it" to what ever team was on our schedule but I think you are missing my point.
You could still get some low FBS time instead of scheduling FCS schools. If you want a guarenteed win, just play kansas.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 04 June 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

Yeah I get what you're saying. But I think y'all can find tougher opponents that should still equal a win. Play a Baylor or hell even southern miss. That's better than Troy or southeast missouri

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If all games every year were tough games, SEC players would drop like flys. No human can take that kind of beating every week & survive. . It;s a way to level the playing field for other conferences, to give them a fighting chance to get into the NC. No other conference is as brutal as the SEC.- IMHO-So they would definatly have a easier path to NC. It's already hard enough for a SEC team to go undefeated in our conference.