Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

machineguntiger

machineguntiger
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
@McMurphyESPN - SEC Commish Mike Slive "I made it clear (to the schools) to upgrade (their non-conference) schedules"

@McMurhpyESPN - SEC's Mike Slive " I don't want (our schools) to play four (non-conference) games that don't interest our fans"

in other words if everyone's comfortable with 8 game schedule then non conference schedule must be beefed up.

More Alabama vs Michigan less Alabama vs Georgia State http://www.sportingn...-slive-muschamp Tougher schedules ahead part of plan to impress playoff committee

Edited by machineguntiger, 30 May 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Slive wants tougher non conference games for basketball too.
Posted Image

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm thinking if other conferences go to a nine game schedule, SEC will follow suit in a couple years.

Think schools will balk at beefing up the ooc schedule cuz might have to pay sizeable sums to break existing contracts?

Posted Image

machineguntiger

machineguntiger
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postfoxflyer5, on 30 May 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I'm thinking if other conferences go to a nine game schedule, SEC will follow suit in a couple years.

Think schools will balk at beefing up the ooc schedule cuz might have to pay sizeable sums to break existing contracts?
according to that article I posted a link to "under a nine game schedule, Kentucky, UGA, Florida, and South Carolina wouldn't need to upgrade their non conference schedule everyone else would, under an eight game schedule all 14 teams must fill their schedule with two more major non conference opponents?" strange logic?

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't agree. While i LOVE that fact that UGA has Clemson game 1 this year. You need few cupcake games a yea. SEC is a hella tough conference and those FAU's/ App States/ ETC give coaches and players a change to rest up a little knowing they are facing a weaker opponent.  Gives coaches a chance to rest his first stringers and bring out some guys who wouldn't normally play, test new schemes and plays.  

If the UGA schedule was 8 SEC games, Clemson, Ohio State, Stanford, Oklahoma, thats a crazy schedule. The cupcake games give most teams a well deserved "type of break" during a tough SEC season

Posted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If we go to a nine game conference schedule I can tell you right now, we'll drop UofL in a skinny minute.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Wish we'd just go to a 9-game conf schedule. It's going to be very difficult for teams to schedule "stronger OOC opponents" if every other conference already plays a 9-game schedule.
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
No. We all play arch rivals OOC. That would mean we have just two cupcakes, which is fine.
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 31 May 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

I don't agree. While i LOVE that fact that UGA has Clemson game 1 this year. You need few cupcake games a yea. SEC is a hella tough conference and those FAU's/ App States/ ETC give coaches and players a change to rest up a little knowing they are facing a weaker opponent.  Gives coaches a chance to rest his first stringers and bring out some guys who wouldn't normally play, test new schemes and plays.  

If the UGA schedule was 8 SEC games, Clemson, Ohio State, Stanford, Oklahoma, thats a crazy schedule. The cupcake games give most teams a well deserved "type of break" during a tough SEC season
Yes, you need a few cupcakes.

But look at Miss State's OOC last year:

Jackson State
Troy
South Alabama
Middle Tennessee

Ole Miss had Texas, but then they had Central Arkansas, UTEP, and Tulane.

And this year, while Bama opens with VaTech, they then have Colorado State, Georgia State, and UTC.

Replace just one of those 3 creampuffs with a solid OOC opponent--not necessarily a powerhouse, but a respectable team from an AQ conference. Not only do you get better games, but you get a better sense of how the conferences stack up.
Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

machineguntiger

machineguntiger
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjthomas666, on 31 May 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Jackson State
Troy
South Alabama
Middle Tennessee

And this year, while Bama opens with VaTech, they then have Colorado State, Georgia State, and UTC.

Replace just one of those 3 creampuffs with a solid OOC opponent--not necessarily a powerhouse, but a respectable team from an AQ conference. Not only do you get better games, but you get a better sense of how the conferences stack up.
I agree replace creampuffs with a mid major more of a BYU/Fresno State type team

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjthomas666, on 31 May 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Jackson State
Troy
South Alabama
Middle Tennessee

Completely agree. I like UGA's OOC schedule this year. I only wish we could face Clemson later in the season. But your right. It gives an indicator on how the conference stack up well before bowl season when its not that important.

Posted Image

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm hearing a lot of "Louisville not being a cupcake" talk in here

...and it disturbs me

Edited by bmccall, 31 May 2013 - 10:02 AM.

Superman never made any money

Saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man

Like him

machineguntiger

machineguntiger
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
slive's not saying drop every cupcake team on the schedule , but he is saying make an effort to have more than one good team on the schedule

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbmccall, on 31 May 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I'm hearing a lot of "Louisville not being a cupcake" talk in here

...and it disturbs me
They're up and down.  But we lost to Western last year....what do you want from us right now?  We're working on it.
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postmachineguntiger, on 31 May 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

slive's not saying drop every cupcake team on the schedule , but he is saying make an effort to have more than one good team on the schedule

Right. I'm all for two good ooc teams. Two powder puffs and a bye week.

Posted Image