Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Florist sued again for refusing to provide flowers for gay wedding

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
198 replies to this topic

rwspear

rwspear

game recognize game and you lookin kinda unfamiliar right now

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 16 May 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Ill forgo the bulk and focus on the idea that America was and must be a highly diverse cultural nation. This is a gross misrepresentation of the American and the melting pot. The melting pot is about seperation from what was and becoming the semi monolithic American. Its taking what you were culturally and becoming American, greater than the parts of the stew. Anyone can be American but you must give up being what you were. When people migrated here the primary goal was to stop being one thing to become another regardless of race, creed or past. You didnt come here to foister your culture on us but to trade it in on ours and if something was deemed worthly we would incorparate it into our culture. You learned the language, you kids went to American schools that spoke english and lived by Christian values. You aspired to a home, job and a better way of life.

Now we no longer preach the melting pot. Now its all about maintaining what you were and forcing the American culture to adapt to you. The rugged individual ideal of hard work and we can is going away to be replaced by you owe me and the ideal of the self. We are losing the American culture and replacing it with a darker dirtier meaningless ideal. We are so divided and being pulled apart by so much diversity that we are literally culturally lost. At one time the American culture stretched from the proverbial sea to shining sea but it has shrunk to the south and mid west. Sure we had our differences and regional quirks but we always acted in what we thought was the best interest of America. Not anymore. Now we at cross purpose with our selves.

As you gain experience through interaction with those you dont share a commonality with hopefully what I am saying will make sense to you. As your believes get more firm and college ideals fade your opinion will change. Life does that.

People are not inherantly good. They need peer pressure to reinforce cultural standards. And something you dismiss that the church brings is just that. Its not fear of super natural damnation that makes this effective but fear of censure from your peers in the church and community. God may get you in the end but exclusion by your peers was a here and now threat. One that no government has the power to wield. In your haste to liberate yourself and our culture you remove that censure and remove needed boundries. When people can operate without fear of repercusions they shed their humanity. Look at the on going flash mod violence, the generational welfare, the explosion of registered sex offenders. Look at the urban blight and cultural diaherra they put on TV. Maybe you grew up with it and dont know any better ( not an insult, just an observation) but this is not the way it has to be.

it sounds like your belief is that people immigrated to the United States to become wasps. i gotta disagree with that one!

i didnt graduate college yesterday. ive now been out of it for longer than i was there. i only began to solidify and articulate my beliefs and philosophies a couple years back, AFTER id graduated. in college i was a lot like some of our liberal friends around here... "hmm, that sounds nice and feeeels good, lets do that." but then i grew up a little, decided i wanted to find out what I really believed, and started studying. lots of my time has been spent reading and studying about governmental philosophy, sociology, religion, anthropology, human geography, and culture. people intrigue me, and it wasnt until after college that i realized this. it was also about the same time i started experimenting with mind-expanding drugs and reading lots of Ayn Rand ..maybe that had something to do with it. while you may not agree with my libertarian views i hope you understand they do not come from a place of ignorance (though you may not be able to see my views as anything else, and thats ok too).

i will agree that as a nation were struggling to keep the 'american spirit' and culture of hard work and dedication relevant, though i disagree with you on its origin. i do not believe the loss of the american spirit has anything to do with the influx of other cultures (as influx of other cultures has been a constant throughout American history), nor with the decline of the religious demographic; rather, i believe its a societal symptom caused mostly by the governments gradual removal of any incentive to actually try.

i dont believe people are inherently good. i dont believe theyre inherently bad. i think theyre inherently people. i do believe the peer-pressure you describe would exist whether or not religion exists. the majority of people have no desire to hurt or kill anyone else... can we agree on that? if not, my next point wont matter, but if the majority of people arent cool with the destruction of other people, then there will be peer-pressure against it.

maybe these are just lofty ideals. ive never fought in a war, ive never seen asia or austrailia, ive never been married, ive never had kids, ive never killed anyone (or really physically hurt anyone, for that matter), ive never owned my own business, nor have i ever been in a submarine. theres a lot of things i havent done and havent seen, and im sure my values will change as i grow older and experience more of life's adventures... but in 20 years i feel confident my one and only goal will still be full liberty for all US citizens.

Edited by rwspear, 16 May 2013 - 09:08 PM.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
So you formed you core believes while high and reading Atlas Shrugged? Well thats awesome. I guess thats the difference between a child growing up under Reagan and one that grew up under Clinton.

Do you know what they call a mad Libiterian? A member of the Tea Party.

Posted Image

rwspear

rwspear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 16 May 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

So you formed you core believes while high and reading Atlas Shrugged? Well thats awesome. I guess thats the difference between a child growing up under Reagan and one that grew up under Clinton.

id actually fallen in love with the fountainhead long before i picked up atlas shrugged. but yes, i wont disagree haha. i wouldnt be the first one to get high, read atlas shrugged, and come a way a libertarian.

Do you know what they call a mad Libiterian? A member of the Tea Party.

high fived bc i laughed

rwspear

rwspear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
i said she should countersue. i predicted she would. guess what? the florist is countersuing.

http://www.wnd.com/2...igious-liberty/