Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Common Core

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 01 April 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

So the Feds offered states money to opt in and they pretty much all took it. Arizona was the 47th to opt in Friday.  The reason that the program is needed is because states have monkeyed with graduation requirements so much that it only takes a 9th or 10th grade education to graduate (most likely because of no child left behind).  The old HS diploma ain't worth what it used to be.

The new requirements are meant to provide a consistent scale to evaluate the preparedness of students.  Really in one sense this may hurt some schools, but with the increases in private and charter schools it may also to be a way to evaluate the quality of education children are getting across systems and state lines.

They are mandating that 70% of literature be nonfiction.  That has lit teachers in an uproar as it should considering that nonfiction is also known as history.  

I saw some stuff that indicated that Common Core was meant to better prepare people for trade vocations than promote reading and learning.  What else am I missing?

Also someone was saying that it was 30% tougher so I was wondering if it was not just another cog in the wheel of education privatization.  Although that is my soap box I do not know if that is a/the motive of common core.

Calling it "tougher" would be relative to what your school already teaches, but I can tell you this. I teach at the flagship of my district which is in the top 3-5 of every category and one of the best performing districts in the state, and this stuff is going to be a lot tougher for my kids. It just goes to show you how education can't be left to the states anymore. What does it matter to be at a good school if that school is in a shitty state education wise?

Posted Image states rights on education. 2 plus 2 is the same in South Carolina as it is in Wisconsin.
Posted Image

You have received an infraction at SECTalk Forums.
Reason: Inappropriate Language and Going Off The Deep End ~ GAMECOCK_FAN

Just another ho hum racial and political day on SECTalk, nothing to see here. ~ Tider27

Best Rivalry on SECTalk? "NYIH vs everybody else in the Political Forum..." ~ DELTOR

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

NCAA Baseball National Champs 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Education should be on the local level and not run by the Federal Government or Big Business....man this country is so messed up. Better wake up before it's too late.

Edited by Hoganknows, 02 April 2013 - 03:41 AM.

Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 01 April 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

Calling it "tougher" would be relative to what your school already teaches, but I can tell you this. I teach at the flagship of my district which is in the top 3-5 of every category and one of the best performing districts in the state, and this stuff is going to be a lot tougher for my kids. It just goes to show you how education can't be left to the states anymore. What does it matter to be at a good school if that school is in a shitty state education wise?

Posted Image states rights on education. 2 plus 2 is the same in South Carolina as it is in Wisconsin.

What do you wan to see happen with education and why?

Posted Image

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 02 April 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

What do you wan to see happen with education and why?

Take a look at the states and other countries. See what works and what doesn't. Stop letting the states that don't care about education allow their kids to fall by the wayside. Standardize how teachers are evaluated so we can identify those that need to get better and those that need to be fired. I'll be the first to admit that some people get into teaching an half ass it for 30 years. Get rid of those people and start pulling in skilled people from other areas to teach more trade courses for those that won't need as much academics. Stop making how old a kid is and where they live the main determining factors in their education. Google Sir Ken Robinson and look at his Ted talks on education. Common core is a good first step, but we've got to come out of the 20th century mindset to educated our kids for today's world.
Posted Image

Just another ho hum racial and political day on SECTalk, nothing to see here. ~ Tider27

Best Rivalry on SECTalk? "NYIH vs everybody else in the Political Forum..." ~ DELTOR

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Tougher standards mean some kids will fail. Are we as a nation ready to deal with that?

I ask because the teachers are not going to get better and I se no reason why the students are suddenly going to be able to preform.

Edited by smokeyone, 03 April 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Data and track students all you want to.....but there are smart kids...average kids...... and there are dumb A$$es...nothing in education is going to change this. Just the way it is!!!  See it for over 30 years!!! You can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Shit....wake up USA!!!

You have a great school system....they will come....you don't and they won't!!! Inter cities don't and that is why they fail!!!  Who wants to teach a bunch of kids by day who are criminals by night!!!

Wake up USA......and Anchordown
Posted Image

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 03 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Tougher standards mean some kids will fail. Are we as a nation ready to deal with that?

I ask because the teachers are not going to get better and I se no reason why the students are suddenly going to be able to preform.

Amen Brother...teachers are getting out of education in droves. Major problem is coming in the teaching world.....who is going to do it????
Posted Image

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 03 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

To paraphrase and butcher an Einstein quote, kids that fail are stupid in the same way a fish is stupid because it can't climb a tree. Yes, kids will fail in some areas, but that doesn't mean they are worthless. Some of the "dumbest" kids ever have gone on to be great members of society. No one cares if a soldier can't do calculus or if a fireman has ever read Romeo and Juliet. Some kinds need to work with their hands, others work best alone or in groups. You start giving teachers the tools to see where a kid should be focusing their talents and you'll have a lot less "failures"

You make the teachers better with more training and allowing them to do their job of educating instead of just focusing on one outcome that everyone must fit.

Look at it like football. All you need to do to win in football is score more than the other guy, right? Well what if I told you from now on, the Vols must have at least 2 tds, a field goal, 2 sacks, and most total yards to win? You'd say that's bull. Those things are nice but even if you win a game 3 to 0, you still win and that's all that matters. Stop making the kid that wants to work with animals pass a geometry test. You could turn him into a Vet if you focused on where his talents are. That the problem with education right now. It all all made to give you one kind of student. Fit the mold or fail. Start giving people all the opinions in education that they have in life and that failure rate will plummet.
Posted Image

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 03 April 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

To paraphrase and butcher an Einstein quote, kids that fail are stupid in the same way a fish is stupid because it can't climb a tree. Yes, kids will fail in some areas, but that doesn't mean they are worthless. Some of the "dumbest" kids ever have gone on to be great members of society. No one cares if a soldier can't do calculus or if a fireman has ever read Romeo and Juliet. Some kinds need to work with their hands, others work best alone or in groups. You start giving teachers the tools to see where a kid should be focusing their talents and you'll have a lot less "failures"

You make the teachers better with more training and allowing them to do their job of educating instead of just focusing on one outcome that everyone must fit.

Look at it like football. All you need to do to win in football is score more than the other guy, right? Well what if I told you from now on, the Vols must have at least 2 tds, a field goal, 2 sacks, and most total yards to win? You'd say that's bull. Those things are nice but even if you win a game 3 to 0, you still win and that's all that matters. Stop making the kid that wants to work with animals pass a geometry test. You could turn him into a Vet if you focused on where his talents are. That the problem with education right now. It all all made to give you one kind of student. Fit the mold or fail. Start giving people all the opinions in education that they have in life and that failure rate will plummet.

Hey good post...totally agree

Heck in my county they expect each and every kid to make 24 on the ACT and go to college......just plain crazy!!!

Tech Schools are needed very badly!!
Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 03 April 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

Wasnt that the justification for Ted Kennedy's No Child Left Behind?

Posted Image

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 04 April 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Wasnt that the justification for Ted Kennedy's No Child Left Behind?

HA! That was Bush's baby. There were some good things about NCLB, the biggest failure though was it let the states have too much control. They were the ones that got to set the standards. NCLB is like me assigning a homework assignment to my kids of their choosing and then asking them the next day if they did it vs me picking the assignment and checking to see if they did do it.

Sorry but again, 1+1 is still 2 whether you live in Charleston or New York, I don't understand why states get so much power over education. Also, end property taxes as a way to fund schools. They are nothing more than another way to keep the poor uneducated.
Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Ted Kennedy was who birthed that one, and given the level on control you claim, schools seem to be self reporting massive failures.

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 04 April 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

HA! That was Bush's baby. There were some good things about NCLB, the biggest failure though was it let the states have too much control. They were the ones that got to set the standards. NCLB is like me assigning a homework assignment to my kids of their choosing and then asking them the next day if they did it vs me picking the assignment and checking to see if they did do it.

Sorry but again, 1+1 is still 2 whether you live in Charleston or New York, I don't understand why states get so much power over education. Also, end property taxes as a way to fund schools. They are nothing more than another way to keep the poor uneducated.

Posted Image

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 04 April 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Ted Kennedy was who birthed that one, and given the level on control you claim, schools seem to be self reporting massive failures.

Bush proposed it. Where do you get this stuff? And besides, I don't even care if it was his baby or not, it didn't work because it was easy to game the system and it let state's make the rules. Common core helps fix that
Posted Image

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
it was a bipartisian effort led by Kennedy that gets blamed on Bush but other than just being factual accurate it doesnt matter. Any system that is going to decrease the number of kids graduating is going to fail. We live in an age when you cant keep score in sports cuase it hurts kids feelings so I just dont see the bar being raised above the barest most basic level outside private and charter schools. We just lack the will to break the teachers union nor to tell a kid they failed.  

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 04 April 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Bush proposed it. Where do you get this stuff? And besides, I don't even care if it was his baby or not, it didn't work because it was easy to game the system and it let state's make the rules. Common core helps fix that

Posted Image

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We have lost all common sense in education! We are totally stressing most all kids out!!!
Posted Image