Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Alabama Basketball: Anthony Grant to Interview With Minnesota?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Just a rumor but you never know.......

http://bamahammer.co...with-minnesota/

Alabama Crimson Tide basketball fans might not have head coach Anthony Grant to kick around for long, if one message board poster is to be believed.
A poster on University of Minnesota-themed message board GopherHole.com has set himself up as either an oracle or a goat with a post made Wednesday night:

I can tell you at this hour my lackey down in Alabama has confirmed to me that Anthony will interview first thing in the morning with his former boss Norwood Teague. Interview will occur in Minnesota and things could close up on this pretty quick.

As anyone with electricity and an internet connection knows, rumors on message boards should always be taken with enough salt to season a side of beef. The anonymity afforded posters on forums gives rise all the time to wild speculation disguised as fact, and you can bet we’ll be criticized for spreading unsubstantiated rumors.
Alabama basketball fans continue to argue over whether or not Anthony Grant has the Tide heading in the right direction. But it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that Grant may want to explore his options with schools better known for their basketball success.
Every sport on campus in Tuscaloosa is secondary to football, at least in the minds of the vast majority of fans; this is an established fact. Alabama basketball is probably the second-most popular sport, but its fans are far fewer and are impatient with the Tide’s slow progress and seemingly unfulfilled potential.
It’s not unimaginable that Grant could look at the college basketball landscape and decide to ply his trade elsewhere. Or as coaches sometimes do, he could just be looking for a raise from the job he already has.
Then again, it could just be a rumor that will get far more attention than it deserves. After all, we have to argue about something until A-Day, don’t we?

Edited by CrimsoNation713, 28 March 2013 - 08:38 AM.

"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think Grant is interviewing with Norwood out of respect.....he ain't going anywhere

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Minnesota might not even qualify for a lateral move.

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 28 March 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Minnesota might not even qualify for a lateral move.
I was thinking the same thing.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

shk666

shk666
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Who is Anthony Grant?  ;)

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Quite honestly I wouldn't be heart broken if he left, but I want to see what he does in this upcoming season. He'll have his best team since he's been here and if they find any sort of consistent offense...they should be above average.

But I believe he's interviewing out of respect also.

Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I wouldn't be "heartbroken" either but it'd set our program back another 3 years. We don't need CAG to leave now. He's got a chance to take a huge step forward with this program next year.

I'm not gonna be a blind Grant homer, his coaching has had its imperfections, but there's a reason he was named as a candidate for Illinois last year and now Minny this year. People see him as a very respectable coach.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

4-0 (1-0)

Next Game: @ Ole Miss Rebels

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

Oxford, Mississippi

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Also, the whole "playing second fiddle to football" notion almost sounds like wishful thinking on the part of Gopher fans. Football will always be "king" at Alabama, but it'll also be king at every school in the SEC other than Kentucky. We have all the resources to be a perennial Top 20 program. It's just a matter of putting it all together.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

4-0 (1-0)

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

Oxford, Mississippi

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 28 March 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Also, the whole "playing second fiddle to football" notion almost sounds like wishful thinking on the part of Gopher fans. Football will always be "king" at Alabama, but it'll also be king at every school in the SEC other than Kentucky. We have all the resources to be a perennial Top 20 program. It's just a matter of putting it all together.
amen....
Wimp,CM and I hate to say it, Gottfried did pretty well. Wimp especially.

-- Derrick Thomas

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He doesn't have any ties that I can think of other than Turner to Minnesota.  Sure the Big 10 is a better basketball conference right now, but it damn sure isn't easier to recruit to Minnesota than it is Alabama.  Unless Anthony is unhappy in T-town, it just doesn't make any sense for him to take this job. Illinois would have made some sense, but this...eh.  Not buying it, or if he is, I wouldn't worry too much about him taking it.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCrimsoNation713, on 28 March 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

amen....
Wimp,CM and I hate to say it, Gottfried did pretty well. Wimp especially.

Yup, Wimp had us as a yearly Sweet 16 program and even Gottfried averaged 23 wins a year in a five-year stretch from '00 through '05 (it wasn't until '06 that I feel like he got lazy and quit trying as hard, rode the coattails from his previous accomplishments ala Tommy Tuberville Syndrome).

Check the SEC record books and we are basically number 2 to Kentucky in nearly every meaningful category. I'm tired of people acting as if Alabama is a "lesser" basketball job simply because of our collosal football program. We've had plenty of success in hoops before, and I truly believe Grant is totally capable of being the next guy to get us to one of the top 15-20 teams on a yearly basis once again. We aren't as far away as some people would think. Next year will mean a whole lot.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

4-0 (1-0)

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

Oxford, Mississippi

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Makes absolutely no sense. Better basketball program in Bama in a much easier conference. Trying to win at Minnesota in the B1G is like trying to win football games at UK. Odds are stacked against you.

Although i'd like to compare Minnesota's recruiting budget to Bama. Is there a salary raise or better facilities. Regardless, it'll be a waste of his time. Plus its cold
Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 28 March 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Yup, Wimp had us as a yearly Sweet 16 program and even Gottfried averaged 23 wins a year in a five-year stretch from '00 through '05 (it wasn't until '06 that I feel like he got lazy and quit trying as hard, rode the coattails from his previous accomplishments ala Tommy Tuberville Syndrome).

Check the SEC record books and we are basically number 2 to Kentucky in nearly every meaningful category. I'm tired of people acting as if Alabama is a "lesser" basketball job simply because of our collosal football program. We've had plenty of success in hoops before, and I truly believe Grant is totally capable of being the next guy to get us to one of the top 15-20 teams on a yearly basis once again. We aren't as far away as some people would think. Next year will mean a whole lot.
Perfect analogy with the "tuberville Syndrome". I heard on NCST's loss in the tourney, one of the commentators saying Gottfried needed to start making his team stop pouting after a turnover or a missed shot and the first thing I thought was his last two years here with all the negative attitudes and players getting into trouble.

Edited by CrimsoNation713, 28 March 2013 - 04:30 PM.

-- Derrick Thomas

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Minnesota, at this stage, might be a "slightly" better club than Alabama is right but they play in a much tougher conference than Alabama plays in when it comes to basketball.  To sum this statement up, all I can see is disaster for Anthony Grant if he were to take the job.  He might as well just stay in the state because he is pretty fertile territory as it is for basketball players.  If he can control Alabama, he'll have that program going places.
Posted Image