Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Veterans Receive Letters From VA Prohibiting Ownership or Purchase of Firearms

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
25% of Americans suffer from a mental illness at least once a year.  Mental illness is stigmatized to the point that people think anyone with a mental illness is "crazy".  We probably have all been mentally ill by some definition at some point in our lives. It is human.

To be mentally incompetent means that courts have determined that you are not competent enough to make your own decisions.  Frankly you have bigger fish to fry than firearms rights if that happens.  What is funny is that after the NRA pushed blame for senseless gun violence off onto mental illness, now we're fighting that.  Forget our own stances much?

I don't agree with much of it at all, but the blurb sent out to start this flame is basically mute and poorly cited.  Why cut that snippet out and not post the whole letter; this is from page 2.  Why, because it does not feed the needs of inflammatory propaganda to get hits.

I don't much trust doctors either, but what are you going to do? I really don't think that there is any great conspiracy.  They don't want the responsibility for determining the level of a person's civil liberties any more than you or I want them to have it.

"Mental Incompetency

A person who is diagnosed as being mentally ill, senile, or suffering from some other debility that prevents them from managing his own affairs may be declared mentally incompetent by a court of law. When a person is judged to be incompetent, a guardian is appointed to handle the person's property and personal affairs.

The legal procedure for declaring a person incompetent consists of three steps: (1) a motion for a competency hearing, (2) a psychiatric or psychological evaluation, and (3) a competency hearing. Probate courts usually handle competency proceedings, which guarantee the allegedly incompetent person Due Process of Law."

If you think that a letter from the VA is going to ignore due process then I got nothing for you.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=18057336

http://azstarnet.com...a2e18e8a57.html

Edited by SECorBust, 25 February 2013 - 08:57 AM.

Posted Image

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 23 February 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

So because people have lied in the past, we now can never trust doctors? Cool story, bro.
The burden of proof isn't in proving you don't have PTSD, you've got that backwards.
And its go nothing to do with being liberal, you people just don't want to do anything about the gun problem. You don't care. Even when you say guns aren't the problem, crazy people are the problem, you still won't do anything about the crazy people.

The only "gun problem" is that not enough good people have guns.

View PostDawgy_Style, on 23 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

And people with PTSD aren't inherently crazy, they shouldn't all be lumped in as crazy. 15 years ago, PTSD was called flashbacks. People were perfectly normal until something sets them off. PTSD could be as simple as not being able to deal with the fact that you had to take someones life in a battle. Rarely is it people that can't seem to disengage from being military killing machines.

Actually the term PTSD originated in 1980 and though it was called "shell shock" at the time has been a fairly widely recognized serious issue since WWI. It's been a legitimate concern for almost 100 years; most doctors just didn't know how to treat it or address it in the past. And sadly a lot of the methods we use today to treat PTSD come from W.H. Rivers, a doctor during WWI who pretty much paved the way for anything concerning PTSD. The fact that we're still using 100 year old methods doesn't help...

People with PTSD certainly aren't all crazy, but it's not like we're just now starting to think it can be something serious; we've known for a while. I'm sure you could look at any soldier, cop, firefighter, even most doctors, and find PTSD symptoms if you wanted to, and that's the issue here... Most people with any sort of PTSD symptoms are absolutely normal; only a tiny fraction come unhinged.

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Diane Bitchstein at it again

http://www.thetrutha...-modern-rifles/

bmccall, on 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Our phenominal fan base and support is our tradition. Unfortunately winning isnt.

Alabama claims the 1941 season as a national championship, even though they finished the season with a 9-2 record, including losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, and were ranked #20 in the final AP poll.

I rape and pillage your village, women and children - Jay Z, Obama's BFF

Posted Image

“Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets.” -Ron Paul

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgy_Style, on 07 March 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Diane Bitchstein at it again

http://www.thetrutha...-modern-rifles/

Because no member of the armed forces would perpetrate an atrocity with firearms

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 07 March 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Because no member of the armed forces would perpetrate an atrocity with firearms

The assumption being made is that they all will.

Our phenominal fan base and support is our tradition. Unfortunately winning isnt.

Alabama claims the 1941 season as a national championship, even though they finished the season with a 9-2 record, including losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, and were ranked #20 in the final AP poll.

Posted Image

“Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets.” -Ron Paul

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgy_Style, on 07 March 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

The assumption being made is that they all will.

Yeah. Feinstein talks about trying to keep guns away from vets with PTSD and the author is screaming COMMIE ALERT!

If the Obama administration publicly and openly comes for your guns, I'll admit I was wrong.

Once I stop laughing, that is

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 08 March 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

Yeah. Feinstein talks about trying to keep guns away from vets with PTSD and the author is screaming COMMIE ALERT!

If the Obama administration publicly and openly comes for your guns, I'll admit I was wrong.

Once I stop laughing, that is

She's not taking guns from people with PTSD, she's saying they all have PTSD, whether a qualified doctor says so or not, and should not have guns.

This is the problem with our government, you have a person that know nothing about guns and knows nothing about mental disorders trying to make laws for both.

Posted Image

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgy_Style, on 08 March 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

She's not taking guns from people with PTSD, she's saying they all have PTSD, whether a qualified doctor says so or not, and should not have guns.

This is the problem with our government, you have a person that know nothing about guns and knows nothing about mental disorders trying to make laws for both.

We want gun laws, you throw up mental illness as a smokescreen so you can keep your toys.

We pursue the mental illness angle you suggested, you say we're unqualified to do that.

You're all full of crap

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 09 March 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

We want gun laws, you throw up mental illness as a smokescreen so you can keep your toys.

Wasn't me. I didn't like the proposed mental illness laws to begin with. Once I heard a liberal say "You have to be mentally ill to want a gun", I knew it was going to be a way to claim everybody is mentally ill.

We pursue the mental illness angle you suggested, you say we're unqualified to do that.

Unless you're a doctor that specializes in mental health, I'd say you're unqualified. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not qualified either.

You're all full of crap

Posted Image

Posted Image

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'll ignore that and ask you: do you see a problem with gun violence in this country and if so, what is the solution?

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 09 March 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

I'll ignore that and ask you: do you see a problem with gun violence in this country and if so, what is the solution?

Yes.

Gun free zones tend to be a big problem, especially in these high profile shootings. I wouldn't allow kids or teachers to have weapons, but perhaps administrators, or people that are in positions where they aren't in direct contact with students for the entire day could bring a weapon to schools. As far as any other place, concealed carry should be allowed. We're well past the wild west, we're very civilized people compared to 100+ years ago.

No guns for actually crazy people like this(skip to about 2:30 for hilariousness):

Posted Image

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I personally don't care for guns, but my concern is stopping violence, not eradicating the Second Amendment. I'd go for any solution that worked