Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Naming winter storms (NEMO)

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

WayzUp

WayzUp

Cynical Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't get this naming winter storms phenomenon....did I miss the memo on this?

I am seeing all this hype about this winter storm that they felt some strange need to name & the images and video of it on TV and online make wonder WTF all the fuss is about.

I live in a lake effect snow area of Michigan where it snows 6" when a cold front crosses over Lake Michigan.  It has snowed over two feet here over the past 10 days with no days above freezing temerature-wise so we havent lost any due to snow melt which is a good thing because the week before it started snowing we had a quick, one day 10" lake effect "event" which was followed exactly one day later by a 50*F day that melted all that in one day....in case you southerners are not aware, an inch of rain is equal to about 10" of snow.  The little river that defines the back end of my property went from being a pitching wedge away from my house to a mere 40' putt.  Then it dropped to the teens that night, froze all that & started the 10 days of snow.  I haven't seen the pavement on my road for days.

Now I hear all about this Nemo that causes states to threaten to jail you if you are on the roads before it even starts snowing.  Used to be called winter....now it's declare/manufacture an emergency to get Fed money.

http://news.yahoo.co...-210000704.html
^seriously...pics of thermometer at almost 10*F, are you kidding? Six inches of snow, 9 degree weather, near 0 with wind chill, couple trucks jack-knifed.....let's call it Nemo.

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWayzUp, on 09 February 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

I don't get this naming winter storms phenomenon....did I miss the memo on this?

I am seeing all this hype about this winter storm that they felt some strange need to name & the images and video of it on TV and online make wonder WTF all the fuss is about.

I live in a lake effect snow area of Michigan where it snows 6" when a cold front crosses over Lake Michigan.  It has snowed over two feet here over the past 10 days with no days above freezing temerature-wise so we havent lost any due to snow melt which is a good thing because the week before it started snowing we had a quick, one day 10" lake effect "event" which was followed exactly one day later by a 50*F day that melted all that in one day....in case you southerners are not aware, an inch of rain is equal to about 10" of snow.  The little river that defines the back end of my property went from being a pitching wedge away from my house to a mere 40' putt.  Then it dropped to the teens that night, froze all that & started the 10 days of snow.  I haven't seen the pavement on my road for days.

Now I hear all about this Nemo that causes states to threaten to jail you if you are on the roads before it even starts snowing.  Used to be called winter....now it's declare/manufacture an emergency to get Fed money.

^seriously...pics of thermometer at almost 10*F, are you kidding? Six inches of snow, 9 degree weather, near 0 with wind chill, couple trucks jack-knifed.....let's call it Nemo.
It seems to me that this stuff happens when the storms affect the Northeast, the media up there decides it's of national importance.  When it happens everywhere else, it's barely worth a mention.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I hear Partly Cloudy Myrtle is supposed to be a biggun.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 09 February 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

It seems to me that this stuff happens when the storms affect the Northeast, the media up there decides it's of national importance.  When it happens everywhere else, it's barely worth a mention.
you do realize this storm is already left 100k people without power right?
Posted Image

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
At least four deaths were being blamed Saturday on a behemoth snow storm with hurricane-force wind gusts that swept through the Northeast, dumping more than 2 feet of snow on New England and knocking out power to 650,000 homes and businesses.

Per fox news. Dont be a Posted Imageing inbred idiot. This is a life threatening storm that covers almost a thousand square miles
Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWayzUp, on 09 February 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

The Weather Channel has started sensationalizing all the systems now. I understand this storm is bad and I get it. But its nothing but ratings for them. They send their people out like war correspondents. The true meteorologists say things they seem them do or say is totally false. There is no such thing as a  "TOR-CON". Its just another way of making it a sideshow.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 09 February 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

you do realize this storm is already left 100k people without power right?
Yes. That's the reason WHY they make these storms such a focus when they hit up in New England.   They affect a much larger population base than when they hit in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Dakotas, etc.  The media outlets also don't have a personal interest in those states, as they're not located there w/the exception of WGN in Chicago.
Posted Image