Florida - SEC Basketball Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Florida

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

zuko5355

zuko5355
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm one of those who believes that John Pelphry got screwed out of his job at Arkansas. I believe that Billy Donovan believes that too and recognized that Pelphry has a lot to offer as a Coach and hired him. His hiring made Florida better. The Razorbacks hiring of Mike Anderson didn't make them a better team. Looking for Florida to trounce Arkansas.

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Troll troll troll your boat...

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzuko5355, on 03 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

I'm one of those who believes that John Pelphry got screwed out of his job at Arkansas. I believe that Billy Donovan believes that too and recognized that Pelphry has a lot to offer as a Coach and hired him. His hiring made Florida better. The Razorbacks hiring of Mike Anderson didn't make them a better team. Looking for Florida to trounce Arkansas.

I felt we jumped the gun and should have given Pel at least one more year,but that's water under the bridge.We're having to rebuild again but we'll be competitve soon.

But firing Pel won't be why we lose this game,Florida's a much better team.Good luck to John and I appreciate his effort.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

He worked under Donovan before he got the Arkansas job.
I would hope that Billy recognzied what Pelphrey had to offfer haha

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I like Pelphery as much as the next guy, but in no way would i ever want him coaching here. The last HC we had here who was an alumni failed miserably.
Posted Image
Posted Image

HmanHunt

HmanHunt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I wanted Pel gone a sooner than he was.  You could tell he was a smart coach, but couldnt manage a game for shit.  He would sub players out that needed to be in at key moments and call timeouts that killed our own momentum.

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 04 February 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

He worked under Donovan before he got the Arkansas job.
I would hope that Billy recognzied what Pelphrey had to offfer haha

This is true,Pel and Billy are close friends from what I understand.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Guess what they have in common. Kentucky ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostL.A.Hog, on 04 February 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

This is true,Pel and Billy are close friends from what I understand.

Actually, Pel, BD, and Grant are all very close friends, and likely always will be. They have a special, unique bond that centers around all 3 having lost children...

Billy Donovan's Secret Sorrow

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:14 pm
Written by: Jason King

The text arrived two days after Halloween, well before Billy Donovan got to the cemetery.

"Thinking of you," it read.

For almost a decade, it's never failed. Every year, on Nov. 2, Arkansas coach John Pelphrey -- along with Alabama's Anthony Grant -- have reached out to their former boss at Florida. A phone call, an e-mail, a card or text. Just something to remind Donovan how much they care. And how they can relate.

"No staff," Grant says, "has ever experienced what we experienced. What happened with all of us ... I wouldn't wish that on anybody."

Long before they were all head coaches in the SEC -- long before they became competitors -- Donovan, Pelphrey and Grant helped Florida blossom into one of the country's most-dominating programs during the early and mid-2000s. Still, the moments the three of them remember the most -- the three precise dates that spurred one of the strongest, most unique bonds in all of sports -- have nothing to do with winning NCAA titles and conference championships.

Instead, they involve the loss of life, and the strengthening of friendship.

"The human body is amazing," Pelphrey says. "We can all sense when those days are coming closer."

November 2 for Donovan.

February 6 for Grant.

August 22 for Pelphrey.

"I let John know I was thinking about him at the end of the summer," Donovan says now. "He wrote back and said, 'Tough, tough day. It never gets easier.'"

Donovan pauses.

"He's right," he says. "It doesn't."

November 2, 2000
When Billy Donovan arrived in the maternity ward at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, he noticed balloons. Lots of balloons.

In rooms throughout the facility, lives were changing forever as mothers delivered newborns. Family members stood in the hallway and congregated in the waiting area, hugging and celebrating. Some brought signs that read "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!"

Donovan walked past all of them. His wife, Christine, would be delivering later that day, too. But the circumstances would be much different.

http://www.thepostga...s-secret-sorrow#

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 04 February 2013 - 01:31 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

RedRebelBlue

RedRebelBlue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Can't deny that hiring Pelphrey was a great move. I fully expect Florida to win the national title this year.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

8 NCs/46 SECs/27 SECTs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

As a Kentucky fan, I think what I and the rest of my constituency have to say on the matter carries a bit of weight as we are notorious homers.

Pelphrey only got screwed out of that next season.  It's not as if Arkansas was out there killing it under Stan Heath...they'd been mediocre for awhile and so it's not as if Pelphrey being mediocre was upsetting the apple cart.  John deserved to coach those top kids he was bringing in, but if that season was another failure then yes he needed to go.

I don't blame Arkansas in the slightest for wanting him gone and trying to improve things, especially in light of their attendance numbers.  A program like Arkansas who's fans actually care about more than just football deserve a quality program on that court  But Pelphrey wasn't exactly a rock star at South Alabama.  His name came up more than once for our coaching position after Tubby and after Gillispie and both times I hoped we didn't hire him.  I would love to have him back home as an assistant coach.  Hopefully once Coach Antigua or Robic land a head job somewhere, which they undoubtedly will, Cal will reach out to Pel.  I know John's developed a great relationship with Billy D, but ya'll have to remember that relationship was forged here at Kentucky and then grew at Marshall and in Gainesville

No matter what, John Pelphrey's jersey hangs in the rafters and will always be a part of the "Unforgettables."  What he and that team did for this university will always have my gratitude and respect.

Go Big Blue
Posted Image

"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I guess the Pel factor has worn off.

By the way,thanks for jinxin Florida zoko. :)

Edited by L.A.Hog, 05 February 2013 - 09:02 PM.

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Dumbass

STFU

Posted Image

eastcoastrazorback

eastcoastrazorback

Gagging Order

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Good call.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Haaaaa! Looks like an "eat shit and don't talk with your mouth full" thread to me...