Best gaming/school laptop under 1500? - Page 3 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Best gaming/school laptop under 1500?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzouMark, on 03 February 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Of those three the Asus g75 by a long shot... it's a solid all around computer.

Maybe so, but, I'm willing to pay the extra buck to edge out other machines reliably and with 2nd to none fit and finish.... It's kinda like saying I don't want a Bentley because I can buy an Evo and with a few teaks and modifications go just as fast when not everything should be about speed... for example, my screen got cracked but they give you free accidental coverage for a year and to replace the screen it was going to be 912 bucks not counting labor, thankfully I didn't pay a dime, but that goes to show how valuable and high end the components are that go into the machine that may not exactly affect your performance.

They're all put together in the same Foxconn factory in China. And I've never had a positive experience with Dell's tech support.

bmccall, on 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Our phenominal fan base and support is our tradition. Unfortunately winning isnt.

Alabama claims the 1941 season as a national championship, even though they finished the season with a 9-2 record, including losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, and were ranked #20 in the final AP poll.

I rape and pillage your village, women and children - Jay Z, Obama's BFF

Posted Image

“Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets.” -Ron Paul

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 03 February 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

it feels like to me they are about a dead tie if you include everything....I'd love to test drive one each for a week before buying but I don't think that's going to be possible. sucks that I'm going to have to pick one, I went to best buy tonight to look at the Asus version, any ideas where I could find an alienware on display?

No idea, I doubt you will find one on display honestly, because they are built and personalized for the customer with your name etc etc.... The Asus would be a good probably be a good buy for you I'm not putting it down at all especially if it's going to have to be in a dorm etc etc.  

However, I have been speccing the Mx14 to just see where it's at price wise and honestly it's only 200 more and with that you can spec it with 16 gigs of ram, the best display offered, a killer brand wireless card, the first level of I7 processor and a 2gig vid card.
2013 SEC EAST CHAMPS.... M-I-Z!!!!

Posted Image

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgy_Style, on 03 February 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

They're all put together in the same Foxconn factory in China. And I've never had a positive experience with Dell's tech support.

It doesn't bother me who builds it as long as it isn't made with cheap stuff and never falls apart. I have AlienAutopsy if anything goes wrong itll send a report to dell and they'll email me.  I had my screen fixed within the week it broke, no sending it off the guy came to my house.

Posted Image

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

View PostMizzouMark, on 03 February 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

No idea, I doubt you will find one on display honestly, because they are built and personalized for the customer with your name etc etc.... The Asus would be a good probably be a good buy for you I'm not putting it down at all especially if it's going to have to be in a dorm etc etc.  

However, I have been speccing the Mx14 to just see where it's at price wise and honestly it's only 200 more and with that you can spec it with 16 gigs of ram, the best display offered, a killer brand wireless card, the first level of I7 processor and a 2gig vid card.

I'm probably the most chill 21 year old you'll ever meet, I'm living by myself next year, the only way my laptop will get damaged is if I somehow have sex on top of it.

btw thanks for helping so much. The problem is 200 makes a big difference to me right now, I plan on spending 1200 total, thats about the max that I can swing atm.

Edited by Penguin, 03 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

Posted Image   

Seriously. A season I will never forget.

Posted Image

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 03 February 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

I'm probably the most chill 21 year old you'll ever meet, I'm living by myself next year, the only way my laptop will get damaged is if I somehow have sex on top of it.

So... not a chance at all?

I kid I kid. :trollface:

bmccall, on 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Our phenominal fan base and support is our tradition. Unfortunately winning isnt.

Alabama claims the 1941 season as a national championship, even though they finished the season with a 9-2 record, including losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, and were ranked #20 in the final AP poll.

I rape and pillage your village, women and children - Jay Z, Obama's BFF

Posted Image

“Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets.” -Ron Paul

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 03 February 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

btw thanks for helping so much. The problem is 200 makes a big difference to me right now, I plan on spending 1200 total, thats about the max that I can swing atm.

You can keep it under 1200, just get First I7 option, 16gig ram and 2gig gpu card leave everything else standard.

Edited by MizzouMark, 03 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

Posted Image

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • Cash:

View PostMizzouMark, on 03 February 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

You can keep it under 1200, just get First I7 option, 16gig ram and 2gig gpu card leave everything else standard.

I speced one and hit 1500 real quick hahaha
Posted Image   

Posted Image

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 03 February 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I speced one and hit 1500 real quick hahaha

It's easy to do lol! I had no restraint when I ordered my Mx17

Posted Image

ugadawg9288

ugadawg9288
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Since you're planning on getting it for gaming primarily, stick with an i5. There are very, very few games that actually take advantage of quad-core processing and even fewer still that would be able to be played on a laptop.

And with the GPU vs. CPU debate, the general rule in desktop building is spend within $50 on the GPU that you do on the CPU. Otherwise the performance difference between the two will mean that you're not taking full advantage of what the one you splurged on can do. I'm sure that this is the same with laptops.

I would shoot for an i5 core (2.4+ GHz) with a dedicated GPU (660M or better) with 1GB VRAM and at least 4GB of RAM. With the amount that you would saving going with an i5 instead of an i7, you can buy a nice mouse (I personally recommend the RAZER Naga) and a nice headset (I'm currently using a Plantronics GameCom 780 and it's fantastic).

ASUS makes phenomenal laptops and computer components I would stick with them. If you are set on getting an i7 core processor, I would get something like this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230597
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ain't nothing finer in the land, than the Georgia Redcoat Marching Band. GO DAWGS!!!

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • Cash:

View Postugadawg9288, on 03 February 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Since you're planning on getting it for gaming primarily, stick with an i5. There are very, very few games that actually take advantage of quad-core processing and even fewer still that would be able to be played on a laptop.

And with the GPU vs. CPU debate, the general rule in desktop building is spend within $50 on the GPU that you do on the CPU. Otherwise the performance difference between the two will mean that you're not taking full advantage of what the one you splurged on can do. I'm sure that this is the same with laptops.

I would shoot for an i5 core (2.4+ GHz) with a dedicated GPU (660M or better) with 1GB VRAM and at least 4GB of RAM. With the amount that you would saving going with an i5 instead of an i7, you can buy a nice mouse (I personally recommend the RAZER Naga) and a nice headset (I'm currently using a Plantronics GameCom 780 and it's fantastic).

ASUS makes phenomenal laptops and computer components I would stick with them. If you are set on getting an i7 core processor, I would get something like this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230597
thanks, what about this one though?

its 200 more and I think much better right?
http://www.tigerdire...CFQsGnQodlzIAeg
Posted Image   

Posted Image

ugadawg9288

ugadawg9288
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 03 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

thanks, what about this one though?

its 200 more and I think much better right?
http://www.tigerdire...CFQsGnQodlzIAeg

It's got the same CPU, more RAM, and a good bit better GPU. It's also a larger screen, though it does have less than half of the memory, though depending on the number of games, movies, music, etc. you put on there, the HDD size may be irrelevant.

The computer is good, and you will most likely get a better gaming experience out of it. All in all, it really comes down to what you like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ain't nothing finer in the land, than the Georgia Redcoat Marching Band. GO DAWGS!!!

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • Cash:

View Postugadawg9288, on 03 February 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

It's got the same CPU, more RAM, and a good bit better GPU. It's also a larger screen, though it does have less than half of the memory, though depending on the number of games, movies, music, etc. you put on there, the HDD size may be irrelevant.

The computer is good, and you will most likely get a better gaming experience out of it. All in all, it really comes down to what you like.

I got the one I listed with a 3 year squaretrade accident protection included warrenty for 1439$ The warrenty was 269ish and kicked every other accident protection included warrenty out of the water.
Posted Image   

Posted Image

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sorry, I don't specialize in the hardware side. I have a Dell and a HP that I can run WOW and Everquest no problem through although I haven't played either in years. Those games are some of the most taxing kind you can play through a Laptop though. @ Penguin