Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

NFL Rooney Rule

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I want to know what everyone thinks about the Rooney Rule. For those who don't know, "the Rooney Rule requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs"

I personally think it's an awful rule. Not because I don't believe in minorities getting the job or anything, but I think it sends the wrong message. They have to interview somebody because theyre a minority. I honestly think a coach should only be interviewed if he's a legit contender, not because he's black, or hispanic, etc.
Posted Image

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The Rooney Rule is pointless. Interview 100 minorities. Interview 1000 minorities. Nowhere does it say a certain number of minorities have to be hired, only interviewed. So an owner interviews their token black coach, and then on to the real contenders!

It's a dumb rule.

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

OLE MISS BY DAMN!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
NFFL owners will hire who they want, regardless of said rule.

(3) Ole Miss Rebels  7-0  (4-0)

- "The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and think the things that worked yesterday will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made."  - Coach Johnny Vaught

Posted Image

Posted Image

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Exactly. Today Goodell said that the coaching numbers of minorites are up and that is a direct correlation of the rooney rule.

Well no shit. But it's also because theres more and more minorities becoming coaches every day.
Posted Image

Benny

Benny

and the Jets

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah it's a terrible rule. Judge not by the color of the candidate's skin, but the content of their character (or in this case, coaching talent), as MLK said.
Fire Bracky Brett

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBenny, on 01 February 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Yeah it's a terrible rule. Judge not by the color of the candidate's skin, but the content of their character (or in this case, coaching talent), as MLK said.

Very well said.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I can think of very few things that make me angrier than the Rooney Rule.
Can't expand on that without getting banned.

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think the only people who thinks the Rooney rule helps are the suits in New York.
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I just think it's stupid and insulting in this day and age.  There are numerous non-white coaches in many different positions.  The stigma or social pressure to lock out minorities just doesn't exist, especially in the locker rooms which these days are very well mixed.

One reason I've always liked sports is because it allows people from different backgrounds to come together, both as players and as fans.  When you're out there on that field, you don't have time to worry about what color the 350 lb guy who's hauling ass about to knock that football out of your hand is.  Sports are the great equalizer.  Jackie Robinson would never have played for the Dodgers because someone was interested in integrating baseball if he was a mediocre player.  Dude could play and at some point you have to get the best damn player available.  Sports have also been a way for whites to start accepting blacks more and more as well.  Things still aren't perfect, but it feels like we're headed in the right direction.

What really needs to be addressed in this country is poverty and education.

Edited by PuddingTime, 01 February 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 01 February 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

What really needs to be addressed in this country is poverty and education.

Posted Image

carwwest

carwwest

Cowbell Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
when i was an office manger, my boss highly encouraged me(pretty much told me we had to) hire a minority to keep her boss happy...the girl i ended up hiring was fine but i didnt think the process was right, neither did my boss but hey, politics...and everybody has a boss...

Posted Image

GTHOM

StaringContestYouAndMe

StaringContestYouAndMe
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
They should implement this for players too, if it makes so much sense. For every African-American linebacker that runs a 4.4, teams should have to pre-draft interview some white, Big Ten linebacker that runs a 5.0. It would certainly increase the number of white linebackers!!!!!! Dumb logic is dumb.

ShaunMac

ShaunMac
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostStaringContestYouAndMe, on 01 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

They should implement this for players too, if it makes so much sense. For every African-American linebacker that runs a 4.4, teams should have to pre-draft interview some white, Big Ten linebacker that runs a 5.0. It would certainly increase the number of white linebackers!!!!!! Dumb logic is dumb.

This guy gets it.
Posted Image

Weston M

Weston M

I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
They start making it to where the NFL coaches and staffs have to "consider" or "hire" white RB'S, WR's and DB's then I'll say I agree with it. Until then, it's nothing more than affirmative action.

Posted Image

#1 Mississippi State Bulldogs: 6-0 (3-0)

Next: @ Kentucky