Ask SECT: Retirement plan options - Page 3 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Ask SECT: Retirement plan options

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 22 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Well I am in a more volatile investment plan which is basically more risk for more reward. I am not sure as to a % wise off the top of my head but I would be willing to bet it's more then 50% My plan is set to automatically get safer and safer the older I get.

Which is what you need to do, obviously.  If there's ever a time to risk big, it's now... at least for folks in our age group.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 22 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

being young allows you to be aggressive. 65-75% in overseas, 15-20 domesticly and the rest in bonds with the ratios moving to bonds as you get closer to retirement is reasonable I would think.

Yep.  See reply to Hothoz.

FIRE EVERYONE

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJDawg, on 22 January 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Which is what you need to do, obviously.  If there's ever a time to risk big, it's now... at least for folks in our age group.

yeah the line chart they send me every quarter looks like a damn roller coaster.

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJDawg, on 22 January 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

From few things I've read, someone at my age should have vast majority of my investment in stocks.  What percentages would you say to send overseas as opposed to staying stateside?

My stock holdings are about 70/30  overseas/US now, focused on midcaps on the US side, stocks accounting for like 95% of my portfolio..  Toss in a little physical precious metals in my hands for capital preservation to round things out.  IMO bonds are radioactive waste for guys my age and younger...

Edited by nova, 22 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 22 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

My stock holdings are about 70/30  overseas/US now, focused on midcaps on the US side, stocks accounting for like 95% of my portfolio..  Toss in a little physical precious metals in my hands for capital preservation to round things out.  IMO bonds are radioactive waste for guys my age and younger...

Well... as I start making some moves in this regard, I'll probably be talking to you more.  Wish I could have entered this realm when I took my current job, but salary and little debts left me handcuffed.  I've got my debt under control now, plus move to new job in Feb will allow me much more flexibility.  Figuring if I can get in the game while I'm still in my mid-20's, I won't have forfeited too much.

FIRE EVERYONE

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
bonds are a hegde for anyone under 40. I do <10% now but when I pull the plug they will be 50% with CDs and cash the rest.

Posted Image

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJDawg, on 22 January 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Well... as I start making some moves in this regard, I'll probably be talking to you more.  Wish I could have entered this realm when I took my current job, but salary and little debts left me handcuffed.  I've got my debt under control now, plus move to new job in Feb will allow me much more flexibility.  Figuring if I can get in the game while I'm still in my mid-20's, I won't have forfeited too much.

Don't feel bad.  I've been hogtied for most of the last 5 years while my wife was in residency just because I was basically supporting 2 complete separate households.  I'm just now getting to where I can invest like I prefer.  I've been 1% + 1% match in my 401k for the last 5 years and just now pushed up to the 5% + 5% match.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
not having kids til you have a wife to help raise one and having a wife thats not crazy or wako needs to come into play too. Minimize your risks and make your life easy. Have a hobby totake yourself away from all consuming work and when you reach a point you can no longer tolerate a job remember its just a job and you have money in the bank and a wife that is there for you so just walk away and do something else. Pursuit of money out of need should not rule your life at 30 and no one needs to work til they die out of fear.

Posted Image