UNC and Duke invited to SEC - Page 7 - SEC Trash Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 7

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

UNC and Duke invited to SEC

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 19 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

i honestly see duke and unc going to the big 10. if that happens nc state and virginia tech go to the  sec, once that happens big twelve gets clemson,fsu,wake, louisville and possibly someone like georgia tech or south florida

Edit: when everything is said in done. and im not sure any of this happens at all

y'all would be idiots to take S FL over GA Tech...
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't want UNC - those lying bastard DO NOT need to be in our conference.

They even had Andy Griffith lie for them on TV (yes - he was an alumnus)

The University of Georgia is the oldest chartered public university in the land, yet UNC claims that they are... We beat those bastards by FOUR YEARS. It needs to be a requirement that they admit this publicly af they are going to be considered for admission into God's conference.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 19 January 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

y'all would be idiots to take S FL over GA Tech...
i agree they would be
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 19 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

aggy has always been able to recruit in texas. the problem has always been the administration and the coaches they chose. they fired RC Slocum for gods sake. he was like 120 and 50 and 80-20 or something in conference.

i think bobby would agree with me on that

Of course they have, they've always been 1 of the 2 biggest in-state schools; but they haven't always had something different to offer, like a different conference to play in... and they were still always second fiddle to Texas in recruiting. That may already be changing a little...

Class Rankings

2010 - UT #3 - ATM #17
2011 - UT #3 - ATM #27 - Even TT (#20) and TCU (#26) had better classes that year.
2012 - UT #2 - ATM #15
2013 - ATM #8 - UT #18 - So far. I realize class size plays a part this year as well; but a Top 10 class is a Top 10 class, and ATM has only had 2 of those (#10 in 2003, and #8 in 2005) since they started ranking classes in 2002.
Posted Image

The Playmaker

The Playmaker

Hold My Beer

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The two best choices out of this would be UNC (assuming they get away from Duke) and Virginia Tech.  Two new market areas that are still southern and have program stability.

Look, researching their athletic programs is great for conversations about what they bring to the conference but this is all about the money and we all know known of these schools we're considering will be competing for national titles in football.  UNC is bigger than Duke and Virginia Tech is a solid program.  If I could have it my way I wouldn't add anymore but obviously we're headed to the age of the mega conferences.  If I could pick any school right now it would be Oklahoma.
Posted Image

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Of course they have, they've always been 1 of the 2 biggest in-state schools; but they haven't always had something different to offer, like a different conference to play in... and they were still always second fiddle to Texas in recruiting. That may already be changing a little...

Class Rankings

2010 - UT #3 - ATM #17
2011 - UT #3 - ATM #27 - Even TT (#20) and TCU (#26) had better classes that year.
2012 - UT #2 - ATM #15
2013 - ATM #8 - UT #18 - So far. I realize class size plays a part this year as well; but a Top 10 class is a Top 10 class, and ATM has only had 2 of those (#10 in 2003, and #8 in 2005) since they started ranking classes in 2002.
dont forget that the only reason aggy is rated as highly this year is they have 40 recruits. texas only offered 13 as of today. texas still has a higher per recruit star rating buy almost half a point
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 19 January 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

dont forget that the only reason aggy is rated as highly this year is they have 40 recruits. texas only offered 13 as of today. texas still has a higher per recruit star rating buy almost half a point

I said I realize class size plays a part in the current rankings; but there's no need to exaggerate. ATM doesn't have 40 kids, they have either 33 or 34, depending on which site you use; and it's still a pretty good looking class with plenty of players I wouldn't mind having.

But, that's how it goes every year; some teams take more than others in any given year. Last year UT took 28 and ATM only took 19. The classes still get ranked the same way... and those big classes build depth. Before it's over, there will probably be 3 or 4 teams in the Top 10 with at least 30 players.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 19 January 2013 - 09:27 PM.

Posted Image

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 January 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

I said I realize class size plays a part in the current rankings; but there's no need to exaggerate. ATM doesn't have 40 kids, they have either 33 or 34, depending on which site you use; and it's still a pretty good looking class with plenty of players I wouldn't mind having.

But, that's how it goes every year; some teams take more than others in any given year. Last year UT took 28 and ATM only took 19. The classes still get ranked the same way... and those big classes build depth. Before it's over, there will probably be 3 or 4 teams in the Top 10 with at least 30 players.
they are at 34 per rivals. 9 more than anyone else in the top 25
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 19 January 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

they are at 34 per rivals. 9 more than anyone else in the top 25

Yep, that's what I said... we'll have 30-33 ourselves by NSD. We have room for 33 right now.
Posted Image

engie

engie
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Why do people keep saying that Duke and UNC are a package deal that is going to stick together?  What evidence does anyone have to offer that they will have that option in expansion?  I can guarantee that they won't in the B1G -- and they won't in the SEC either.  You cut potential revenue gain in half by adding both of them vs adding an NC team and a Va team... and the same basic principle applies for the B1G...

The only way that the NC teams avoid being left out is for NC to come to the SEC, Duke to the B1G, and NC State to the Big12.  Wake or Duke one is going to be SOL in expansion... Probably both of them if NC bolts to the B1G and NC State ends up in the SEC.
Posted Image

thedruebanks

thedruebanks

AKA BatteredPancake

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The SEC is stupid

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Playmaker, on 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

The two best choices out of this would be UNC (assuming they get away from Duke) and Virginia Tech.  Two new market areas that are still southern and have program stability.

Look, researching their athletic programs is great for conversations about what they bring to the conference but this is all about the money and we all know known of these schools we're considering will be competing for national titles in football.  UNC is bigger than Duke and Virginia Tech is a solid program.  If I could have it my way I wouldn't add anymore but obviously we're headed to the age of the mega conferences.  If I could pick any school right now it would be Oklahoma.

Agree with all of this except the expansion. I think 12 was the best, but I think 16 is better than 14. One thing I don't like is what will happen to the teams who don't make it into one of the 16 team super conferences. The small schools will still get paid, but the scheduling of mid level schools will probably drop drastically. Other than that though it probably makes more sense and once we get to that point we can finally be done with expansion.

But I do think unc/duke is a package deal. It wouldn't be worth it for the SEC, but the big 10 probably wouldn't mind taking both of them. They seem to care more about adding teams with academic prestige, and they care more about basketball. Plus unc gives them a lot more of the Charlotte market than any other NC school, so if they had to take duke to pick that up they'd probably say it was worth it. And with the acc and big east falling apart they'd become #1 in basketball.

If they got those two it'd put the big 10 at 16. The SEC would go ahead and get 2. Then the big 12 and pac 12 would be left patching holes with whatever is left.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCaligula, on 20 January 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

The SEC is stupid

You guys keep bringing in new teams that can rule the conference. With 2 better 2nd half's, A&M would of won the SEC West, and Duke would be the king in SEC basektball right now.

The thing im missing in all of this is, didnt the ACC just bring in Notre Dame in olympic sports, and a required number of games in football, also Syracuse, Pitt and UL are fixing to join, and didnt they make their exit fee around 52 million. I find it hard to believe the ACC will continue to fall apart, but maybe they will.
Bedlam.jpg
#11 OKLAHOMA SOONERS 45
#3 Alabama 31

Next vs La Tech 8/30/14
84-17-7 Bedlam Record- Most One Sided In-State Rivalry in College Football
540- weeks ranked in AP top 10- most ever
383 - weeks ranked in AP top 5- most ever
101- weeks ranked #1 in AP poll- most ever
153- 1st Team All Americans
47 game winning streak- longest in FBS history

48 Bowl Games (28-18-1)
44- Conference Titles (8 Big 12)
35- 10 win seasons- Most in FBS history
21-11 win seasons Most in FBS history
12 losing seasons- fewest in college football
7 AP National Titles
5 Heisman Winners
4- Only school with 4 coaches with 100+ wins

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBlackSheep 171, on 20 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

You guys keep bringing in new teams that can rule the conference. With 2 better 2nd half's, A&M would of won the SEC West, and Duke would be the king in SEC basektball right now.

The thing im missing in all of this is, didnt the ACC just bring in Notre Dame in olympic sports, and a required number of games in football, also Syracuse, Pitt and UL are fixing to join, and didnt they make their exit fee around 52 million. I find it hard to believe the ACC will continue to fall apart, but maybe they will.

If the big 10 will pay 50 million for maryland then the SEC can certainly afford to get a NC school or vt.