Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

how the SEC monopolized college football

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
In the aftermath of Alabama's dominating dismantling of Notre Dame in the national championship game Monday night, everybody is searching for some complex, convoluted answer to a question that pervades college football:

Why is the Southeastern Conference so supreme?

Why has the league won seven straight national championships?

Why can't any other league match the SEC when it comes to players, coaches and fans?

The answer is really very basic and simple:

Because in the SEC, college football just matters more.

That's it.
Nothing less.
Nothing more.

SEC dominance all comes down to one word: Passion.

This one word is why Notre Dame players are still in the fetal position, mumbling to themselves, "Mommy, please make the big, mean men in crimson stop pushing us down and beating us up."

This one word is why any NFL job offered to Alabama coach Nick Saban would be a massive demotion.
This one word is why, in honor of the SEC, the BCS championship trophy should not only be made of crystal; it should be sponsored by Krystal.

Fans from other leagues have tried to claim the SEC's reputation has been artificially inflated by ESPN and CBS, which both have exorbitant TV deals with the league. Of course, this all just a bunch of whining from the little guys who have to eat peanut butter and jelly from the kid's menu while the SEC sits alone at the big-boy table and gorges itself on filet of Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12 and Notre Dame. Those seven straight national championships are the ultimate argument-ender. No other league has ever won more than three in a row since.

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher put it best when I asked him not long ago why the SEC is so dominant and why he is attempting to build the Seminoles in the image of an SEC team.

"It's not just the athletes, it's the programs," said Fisher, who was Saban's offensive coordinator when he won his first national title at LSU. "It's the money that's spent in the programs, the money that's spent in player development, the money that's spent all the way around. That's what we're embarking on at Florida State."

There are some historians who believe SEC football dominance radiates from the South's loss to the North in the Civil War. They claim this provincial angst is why SEC schools dove head-first into college football – so they could once again go to battle with those "damn Yankees." In 1935, the SEC became the first conference to offer athletic scholarships, which outraged Harvard, Yale and the other hoity-toity institutions of higher learning in the Northeast.

"The Civil War had crushed the ego of the South," writes author Ray Glier in his recent book How the SEC Became Goliath. "The North was more urbanized and industrialized. It's why the North won the war and the South wanted to raise the level of its game. … Football was part of the formula. … The South finished second once before. Ever since it has been determined to finish first."

The SEC finished first in the nation in total attendance this year just like it has for the previous 14 years. Of the top 10 programs that draw the most fans, half are from the SEC.

Forbes magazine compiled its annual list of the "most valuable" college football programs. Seven of the top 10 were from the SEC.

College football's highest-paid coach (Saban) and four of the top eight most-compensated coaches reside in the SEC.

It's no wonder the best players are also drawn to the SEC. They want to play before the biggest crowds, in the biggest games, in front of the biggest TV audiences. They want to work out in the most advanced facilities and get developed by the best coaches.

In last year's NFL draft, an unprecedented nine of the first 18 players selected in the first round were from the SEC. Over the past 11 years, 81 players from the SEC have been first-round draft picks while the Big 12 is a distant second with 56.

When you add up all of these incredible numbers, statistics, attendance figures and salary amounts, you know what you get?

You get this:

In the SEC, college football just matters more.

http://www.orlandose...,7255992.column

Edited by Noah, 11 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
A strong football culture is meaningful. It creates an environment where an athletic, 6-foot-5 15-year-old who chooses basketball over football in Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles or Seattle is lining up on the defensive line in Atlanta, Birmingham, Miami or Baton Rouge. He's even more likely to do that after watching the SEC win a seventh consecutive title.

http://sports.yahoo....-074001124.html
After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

AUsome

AUsome

Kool-aid Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
tldr

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chainsaw Massaquoi

Chainsaw Massaquoi
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
You know.  Someone on FB asked me about the SEC Pride and I basically just let them read this SI article. It makes a lt of actual good points too.

" I’m sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football."

http://m.si.com/9526...-sec-dominance/

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Not to piss in anyone's cereal but i think because the SEC has the lowest academic standards of every other BCS conference that's somewhat appealing to the super athletic All Americans who's main goal is to get to the NFL. More training, less studying. They get to play in warm weather all year and play against the best competition. Not to mention some of the coaches in this league blow every other conference out of the water. Also most of the SEC states are just littered with awesome highschool prospects who want to play close to home.
Posted Image

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:

View PostChainsaw Massaquoi, on 11 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

You know.  Someone on FB asked me about the SEC Pride and I basically just let them read this SI article. It makes a lt of actual good points too.

" I’m sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football."

http://m.si.com/9526...-sec-dominance/

beautiful piece of literature right there.
Posted Image   

Seriously. A season I will never forget.

Posted Image

Chainsaw Massaquoi

Chainsaw Massaquoi
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 11 January 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Not to piss in anyone's cereal but i think because the SEC has the lowest academic standards of every other BCS conference that's somewhat appealing to the super athletic All Americans who's main goal is to get to the NFL. More training, less studying. They get to play in warm weather all year and play against the best competition. Not to mention some of the coaches in this league blow every other conference out of the water. Also most of the SEC states are just littered with awesome highschool prospects who want to play close to home.

I don't know.  I think that it's probably about the same at any big boy program regardless of conference.  Judging from the admission of Maurice Clarett some upcoming book he has he states that Ohio State basically made up classes for him.

At the end of the day those who want to actually learn something while they're in school will.  And those that don't won't.  Profound.  I know.  You're welcome.  Lol