Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Should Jadaveon Clowney be allowed to declare early?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostStallingsBaldSpot, on 02 January 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

should there be a waiver process to allow a player of his caliber to declare early?

I think there should be. Because what happens if he gets not only injured, but injured to a point where he never returns to his previous form. It could cost him millions. I know South Carolina fans want him for his full 4 years but this kid is already an NFL player.

to answer your question, i say no.  as far as injuries go, most players obtain huge insurance policies to guard against this!

View PostM2J, on 02 January 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

didn't say out of HS.  My original post says I'm completely against that and the reasons why.  That's unfair to everybody, because every HS player is a project.   I'm even cool with 2 years, full support of it.  That 3rd year though, is just taking advantage.  Most players you may not even know about until they've been in a system for 3 years or even more.   But like I said, for guys like Lee and Clowney, you know all you need to know.  They're not going to get any better in college than what they'll get in a NFL facility,  and they're locks for the first round, and they've proven for 2 years that they can dominate at this level.

really?  in the couple years clowney has been on campus, he has gotten a lot better at using his hands to shed blockers as well as adding a lot of weight to his frame.  those are things that simply cant be developed that quickly in the nfl.  the nfl isnt a training ground, its a spot for players who have already established themselves as superstars.

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 02 January 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Lol.... "taking advantage." Right. Because coaching those guys, housing them, feeding them and teaching them to develop their game is "taking advantage" of them. You sound ridiculous. They could easily get hurt in their first or second year as well. There's no logic to your argumen.t

THIS!^^^^

View PostBooger, on 02 January 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

there was nothing spectacular about his hit. Everyone is raving about it, but he wasn't touched. That hit was the result of nothing more than the DC calling a slant at the perfect time. He was in full sprint untouched when he crushed that RB. Average speed and strength would produce the exact same result. If anyone here outside of @Hoganknows and @Zartaint was the DE on that play, you'd be a superstar today.

wow, really?  so i guess you know more than every analyst in the nation right?  excuse me if i take their word instead of yours!

View PostUKat, on 02 January 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I have no problem with the three year rule, in fact it should be four years for every major sport in college. I hate it for the athletes in a way, but they are getting an education in return if they stay 4 yrs. I'm old school and believe if you commit to play for 4 yrs in return for an education, I believe you should honor your word. We've taught young people that you don't have to honor your word anymore........I know, I'm going to get slammed for my views on this but when I commit to something or sign a contract, I honor it.

My handshake is my word and I honor what I say I'm going to do. The coaches do it to by not honoring their contracts to leave for a better job, so how can we expect young athletes to honor their contract (LOI). I just think if you commit, then you honor your commitment.

AGREED!  GREAT POST!
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

Chainsaw Massaquoi

Chainsaw Massaquoi
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUKat, on 02 January 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I have no problem with the three year rule, in fact it should be four years for every major sport in college. I hate it for the athletes in a way, but they are getting an education in return if they stay 4 yrs. I'm old school and believe if you commit to play for 4 yrs in return for an education, I believe you should honor your word. We've taught young people that you don't have to honor your word anymore........I know, I'm going to get slammed for my views on this but when I commit to something or sign a contract, I honor it.

My handshake is my word and I honor what I say I'm going to do. The coaches do it to by not honoring their contracts to leave for a better job, so how can we expect young athletes to honor their contract (LOI). I just think if you commit, then you honor your commitment.

This is ridiculous.  The entire point of college is to prepare you for your respective field in the workforce.  Regardless of your major that is the end goal for everyone, is it not?  Kids make the decision to attend big time FBS programs bc it gives them a better shot at getting to their dream job.  No different than a student with a spectrum of college options picking the one with the best economics or geology programs.  

Also, most big time schools don't actually pay for these scholarships.  They are privately funded from school athletic endowments.  Meaning schools aim to determine the cost of a scholarship for a particular position for x amount of years - say the starting QB spot.  They invest that Money acquired by a donation and pay for the scholarship off the interest.  Basically the fund covers the position, not the kid.  

http://sports.espn.g...age=fish/091223

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 07 January 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

to answer your question, i say no.  as far as injuries go, most players obtain huge insurance policies to guard against this!

really?  in the couple years clowney has been on campus, he has gotten a lot better at using his hands to shed blockers as well as adding a lot of weight to his frame.  those are things that simply cant be developed that quickly in the nfl.  the nfl isnt a training ground, its a spot for players who have already established themselves as superstars.

THIS!^^^^

wow, really?  so i guess you know more than every analyst in the nation right?  excuse me if i take their word instead of yours!

AGREED!  GREAT POST!

So you have any reasoning to suggest that forcing collegiate students to play 3 years even if they've proven enough to obviously be able to get a job in the NFL...except in benefits you/the NFL/NCAA to make it happen?   That'd be great if you'd admit that, Hob just chose not to address that's the basis behind his tangent.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostM2J, on 09 January 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

So you have any reasoning to suggest that forcing collegiate students to play 3 years even if they've proven enough to obviously be able to get a job in the NFL...except in benefits you/the NFL/NCAA to make it happen?   That'd be great if you'd admit that, Hob just chose not to address that's the basis behind his tangent.

im sure that even mr clowney would tell you that hes only gotten better due to his tutelage under coach lawing.  if he had gone straight into the nfl, his technique and fundamentals would be nowhere near where they are now.  that said, he probably wouldnt have been ready to go against seasoned and experienced offensive linemen.

Edited by MrGamecockFan, 09 January 2013 - 01:55 AM.

Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

UKat

UKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostChainsaw Massaquoi, on 07 January 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

This is ridiculous.  The entire point of college is to prepare you for your respective field in the workforce.  Regardless of your major that is the end goal for everyone, is it not?  Kids make the decision to attend big time FBS programs bc it gives them a better shot at getting to their dream job.  No different than a student with a spectrum of college options picking the one with the best economics or geology programs.  

Also, most big time schools don't actually pay for these scholarships.  They are privately funded from school athletic endowments.  Meaning schools aim to determine the cost of a scholarship for a particular position for x amount of years - say the starting QB spot.  They invest that Money acquired by a donation and pay for the scholarship off the interest.  Basically the fund covers the position, not the kid.  

http://sports.espn.g...age=fish/091223
No, it's not ridiculous....whether the school or a private fund is paying for the scholarship doesn't diminish the fact that these kids sign a contract for four years, what you forget is 80% of these kids will never play in the NFL, NBA or MLB. It really doesn't matter the value of the scholarship, what matters is the the growth as players and better yet as men, men that learn how to honor their word. Some of these men could be future leaders, they already see enough dishonor with our leaders, a lot of that is because they've been taught that it's okay to break their word when it's to benefit them.

As I said earlier.... I'm old school and it's the way my Daddy taught me, which brings up another thing, many of these young men grew up without fathers or a male figurehead teaching them, that full 4 years is valuable for them as athletes and growing into men.

Being honorable is not ridiculous where I come from, it's very much a sign of a mature trustworthy individual.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Repent, Turn from Sin and Trust in the Savior for your Salvation......this is the Way of the Master.Posted Image

[img]http://http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2251/joesnewlogobr4.jpg[/img]

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yes
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

Chainsaw Massaquoi

Chainsaw Massaquoi
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUKat, on 09 January 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

No, it's not ridiculous....whether the school or a private fund is paying for the scholarship doesn't diminish the fact that these kids sign a contract for four years, what you forget is 80% of these kids will never play in the NFL, NBA or MLB. It really doesn't matter the value of the scholarship, what matters is the the growth as players and better yet as men, men that learn how to honor their word. Some of these men could be future leaders, they already see enough dishonor with our leaders, a lot of that is because they've been taught that it's okay to break their word when it's to benefit them.

As I said earlier.... I'm old school and it's the way my Daddy taught me, which brings up another thing, many of these young men grew up without fathers or a male figurehead teaching them, that full 4 years is valuable for them as athletes and growing into men.

Being honorable is not ridiculous where I come from, it's very much a sign of a mature trustworthy individual.

Very few programs offer 4 year scholarships.  The NCAA only lifted the ban this year.  Almost every kid is on a renewable one year scholarship leaving them at the mercy of their coach and AD.  So in a way they are holding up their end of the bargain and being honoarable as you're postulating.  

"Earlier this year, the NCAA held a vote on whether to end its ban on multiyear scholarships, which had been in place since 1973. Of the 330 schools that cast a ballot, 205 voted against four-year scholarships, including football titans Texas, LSU, and Alabama. "

http://www.slate.com...ny_reason_.html

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

HALLOWEEN is Creeping Up On Us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think any player who wants to declare for the draft should be able to at any point they choose. I think it should be an entirely private decision.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't understand the issue.

You can get injured playing football.
It's an inherent risk at any level, no matter what.

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 09 January 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

im sure that even mr clowney would tell you that hes only gotten better due to his tutelage under coach lawing.  if he had gone straight into the nfl, his technique and fundamentals would be nowhere near where they are now.  that said, he probably wouldnt have been ready to go against seasoned and experienced offensive linemen.

Oh.   Well tell me where I ever even insinuated that he wouldn't have been as good if he'd jumped straight to the NFL.  I clearly said I support 1-2 years in college simply for development and in order to prove they can play vs higher level competition, and for NFL evaluation (which is how the NFL front offices benefit so that they aren't waisting picks on kids with good measurables.   But some guys like AJ Green,  like Clowney,  like Julio Jones, like Marquise Lee  developed enough by year 2 that there is nothing new in their 3rd year that they would learn that they can't learn with better coaching and longer allowable work hours in the pro game.  Not many players reach this point, but in 2 years you can tell these players were ready for the pro game...and I assure you that the NFL would've drafted them accordingly and not because of measurables because of their polish and results vs the same level talent they'll face as juniors.   The NFL isn't to develop raw talent, but Clowney isn't a raw talent at this point.  

This thread is about Clowney being able to declare early after his sophomore year. I've never differentiated from that topic.

Edited by M2J, 11 January 2013 - 02:05 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›