It's December 1, 2013. We're not going bowling. - Page 3 - Mississippi State Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

It's December 1, 2013. We're not going bowling.

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbluelightstar, on 02 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Everybody's talking like our main problem is that we had an 8-win season. Nobody's saying, "How dare Mullen only win 8 games? Fire him now!"

The reason fans are pissed off is, "How dare you lose by 31, 25, 20, 17, and 14!? It's Year 4, and you can't even keep half of your conference games within 10 points!?" Ole Miss has less depth than we do, Northwestern has less talent.  It's absurd that we should be content to beat SEC teams that went 3-29. We're the only team outside Arkansas that got to play BOTH teams that went 0-8 in SEC play, and both of those games were closer than they should've been.  The only teams we beat that won an SEC game were Arkansas and Tennessee, whose only wins were against the aforementioned 0-8 teams.

This season was a disaster, and history be damned, I'm not going to be content to say, "well aww shucks we won 8 games," when we didn't beat anybody and DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP FOR HALF THE CONFERENCE SEASON.

I said I get that.
That's a problem that should be easily corrected. You all are acting like the program is now stuck in reverse.

View PostJDawg, on 02 January 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Oh, no doubt I am.  I need a good month to re-focus and re-assess.

But, on the contrary I see the big picture.  I can see where complacency leads.  Is that not big picture enough?

See above.

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBatesvilleBaron, on 02 January 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Joe Gator.

This is NOT an accurate snap shot of MSU fans.

The greater fan base can't believe that 3 years in a row they had to figure out whether or not they can make it to the bowl game.

Times are high for every MSU fan over 25.

JDawg, I like you, but you have never been very even keel.

Also, MSU fans from Mississippi tend to believe the fallacy that OUR success depends fully on how UM is doing.  So this year UM begins to right the ship and

FREAK OUT!!!!

In Merlin I trust,

BB

Understood.  I generally let anger get in my way for a few posts before I can come to a rationalization.  Good thing that only happens in my sports fandom or I'd have a hard time getting through life.

Anyway... I don't think I've overreacted in the slightest.  I haven't called for Mullen to be fired.  I just say that I want us to remain on the upswing.  I don't want us to get complacent and start a downward spiral again.  Make sure the passion and fight stays.  Relentless effort and all that jazz.  I'm not asking to win every game and to get every recruit.  I just want us to be respectable.  As long as the trend of our last 6 games is halted and more fight and grit is shown, I'll be a happy man.

Basically.... Mullen had the benefit of the doubt from me up through the last half of the season.  And heck, we still have yet to lose to a team we were supposed to beat, so thats a positive.  But now that the honeymoons over, all eyes are and should be on Mullen to see how he reacts to the disappointing end to our season.

I know I can come off as brash and abrasive at times, but that is just my personality and how I act towards things I am passionate about.  My fiancee' absolutely hates it b/c when I get to debating something, my tone sounds like I am being aggressive and attacking but in reality I'm not trying to be that way.  It's a known character flaw of mine.  I'm not going to sit here and bash Mullen like I did Stansbury unless Mullen goes the route of Stansbury.  I know I may have had a premature implosion, but in reality I just want to nip this disappointment in the bud to prevent any Stansbury-esque shenanigans from happening.  Forward thinking in some sorts.

Edited by JDawg, 02 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

FIRE EVERYONE

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I see, everyone is just still raging.
That is normal.

You should have seen the Gator boards during Urban's last season.
I learned terrible words and phrases that I never even knew existed.

E-Man

E-Man

Still lurking, apparently...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I still think Mullen can be a good coach, he just isn't there yet (and there is the possibility that he won't ever get there, but that has to be seen). The bottom line for our program is that we've got a dearth of talented depth on both lines, and poor WRs, and a coaching staff that didn't adapt to a new style this year. With all of our Oline starters coming back next year, and our Dline guys getting a year older, I think next year will show a lot about Mullen's coaching ability.

It's also worth noting that even a proven head coach at a program of a similar caliber as hours can have a hard time getting everything together. Steve Spurrier is who I'm talking about, and his first five seasons went as follows:
7–5 5–3
8–5 3–5
6–6 3–5
7–6 4–4
7–6 3–5

So if we actually do regress noticeably next year, then Mullen's seat gets warm. If we're 7-5, 8-4 and play about like we did this year, then he's still  a decent ways away from any hot seat.

NOTE FOR MEO: Mullen is not the same caliber of coach as Steve Spurrier. That is not the point of anything I wrote in this post with regard to the Ole Ball Coach.

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 02 January 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I said I get that.
That's a problem that should be easily corrected. You all are acting like the program is now stuck in reverse.

See above.

See my most recent post.  I don't think we are in reverse.  I just want to squash any complacency and reversing BEFORE it starts the snowball effect.  So, yeah, I'm probably being a little brash but that just means that I want it halted prior to it becoming a problem.

FIRE EVERYONE

KnoxvilleDawg

KnoxvilleDawg

ALL HAIL LORD MERLIN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Any and all struggles stem from Merlin's inability to recruit. All other problems will more or less take care of themselves if that is corrected.

SECTalk Hater's Club Inspiration

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMeo Stansbury, on 02 January 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Could we replace him with a coach who magically adds 3 stars to every recruit? That would really be something

Indeed it would.  If he could steal a few whiffs of our own it'd be even more intriguing.

FIRE EVERYONE

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
And I'm not bagging on what DM has done for the program.  We're stronger now than we have been historically.  Our overall winning percentage under DM is like 60.5%. That's just over Darrel Royal and tied with Murray Warmath, two good coaches.  DM is top 10 in that regard with most of the top 10 being guys who coached prior to 1950.

But at the same time I can't forgive teams that look ill prepared and unmotivated....

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 02 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Y'all are just trying to move up too fast.
You thought everything was fixed and would only improve after that 9-4 season.

Once again, no.  

We are just trying to NOT move DOWN.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRedRebelBlue, on 02 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

As much as I agree with your point, today is a completely different era. No fanbase of a big league program can tolerate that kind of futility anymore.

Everything in life is "What have you done for me TODAY?"

Excellent post, even if it comes from a rebel.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbluelightstar, on 02 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Everybody's talking like our main problem is that we had an 8-win season. Nobody's saying, "How dare Mullen only win 8 games? Fire him now!"

The reason fans are pissed off is, "How dare you lose by 31, 25, 20, 17, and 14!? It's Year 4, and you can't even keep half of your conference games within 10 points!?" Ole Miss has less depth than we do, Northwestern has less talent.  It's absurd that we should be content to beat SEC teams that went 3-29. We're the only team outside Arkansas that got to play BOTH teams that went 0-8 in SEC play, and both of those games were closer than they should've been.  The only teams we beat that won an SEC game were Arkansas and Tennessee, whose only wins were against the aforementioned 0-8 teams.

This season was a disaster, and history be damned, I'm not going to be content to say, "well aww shucks we won 8 games," when we didn't beat anybody and DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP FOR HALF THE CONFERENCE SEASON.

This.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMeo Stansbury, on 02 January 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Any and all struggles stem from Merlin's inability to recruit. All other problems will more or less take care of themselves if that is corrected.

Becoming more apt to agree with you here.

His 1st 2 classes are beginning to show their deficiencies.  Hopefully our last class and present class can give us something to build on.

FIRE EVERYONE

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Just imagine  with Cam  you might have actually gotten 10 wins that year.
"Sometimes you need to decide which mountaintop you want to die on." John Dixon

Posted Image

BatesvilleBaron

BatesvilleBaron
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
With the worse facilities and recruiting in the SEC, how can we expect to consistently beat teams above us.

We do, however, beat teams who are "down" and mostly win games we are "supposed to"

This means Merlin is not underperforming or overperforming at the moment.

When you sign mediocre OL's you get mediocre OL PLAY.

Simple

BatesvilleBaron

BatesvilleBaron
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Saben NEVER overachieved at MSU or UA.

Yet he's one of the greatest ever