It's December 1, 2013. We're not going bowling. - Page 2 - Mississippi State Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

It's December 1, 2013. We're not going bowling.

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

BatesvilleBaron

BatesvilleBaron
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Joe Gator.

This is NOT an accurate snap shot of MSU fans.

The greater fan base can't believe that 3 years in a row they had to figure out whether or not they can make it to the bowl game.

Times are high for every MSU fan over 25.

JDawg, I like you, but you have never been very even keel.

Also, MSU fans from Mississippi tend to believe the fallacy that OUR success depends fully on how UM is doing.  So this year UM begins to right the ship and

FREAK OUT!!!!

In Merlin I trust,

BB

KnoxvilleDawg

KnoxvilleDawg

ALL HAIL LORD MERLIN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Could we replace him with a coach who magically adds 3 stars to every recruit? That would really be something

SECTalk Hater's Club Inspiration

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

It all depends on how we don't go bowling.  Do we see corrections to the noted deficiences?  If the answer is no, then the seat should be getting warm at a minimum...

bluelightstar

bluelightstar

State Alum, UA Law Student

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Actually, MSU fans are divided into two schools of thought.

The old, "awww shucks, we're just MSU, we're just happy to be here," older fans who think coaches deserve to stay and destroy the ship they built.

Then, you have the younger "I don't care about history, we won't tolerate mediocrity," portion of the fanbase who insist that coaches perform at the highest level each season - not that they win all, or even most, of their games, but that they insist that their teams play with intensity, that they adjust throughout the season, and that they put their players in position to succeed.

Make no mistake, I don't want Mullen fired, but another season full of obvious regression in scheming, playcalling, play on the field, and then in the W/L column will certainly have me ready to look around.
Posted Image

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The jury is out on Mullen. It's just that we were so bad for so long we are horrified of going back there. It's sort of like having a ticking bomb in front of you and watching the seconds slip away. Red wire, green wire? Which one. Cut one, and the clock goes from 45 seconds to 5 seconds. Cut the other, and the bomb is diffused......or blows right then. Sweaty palms and pits. I need to go relax for a while.
Posted Image

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbluelightstar, on 02 January 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Then, you have the younger "I don't care about history, we won't tolerate mediocrity," portion of the fanbase who insist that coaches perform at the highest level each season - not that they win all, or even most, of their games, but that they insist that their teams play with intensity, that they adjust throughout the season, and that they put their players in position to succeed.

That's where I'm at.  I know we're not Bama or TX or one of the other programs with multiple decades of winning tradition to build on where we can reasonably expect to win every game.  We're going to lose some while we're building the program and I can handle that with one big caveat....

That caveat is I expect everything you listed above.  Those kids better go out every single Saturday with their A game on, fully prepared and motivated and the coaches better put together one bitching game plan.  Scheme needs to adjust to stregnths and deficiencies, etc etc etc.

I was in school from the last of Jackie to the first few years of the Croom era and what infuriates me the most is seeing us slip back into doing the same shit that was going on then. Disinterested incompetent coaches and disinterested unmotivated players. The difference between now and Croom is a little better talent and instead of claiming a "west coast" offense that consists of running out of the I up the middle and play action pass, we run a spread that's running out of the shotgun up the middle and play action passing.

RedRebelBlue

RedRebelBlue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 02 January 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

The jury is out on Mullen. It's just that we were so bad for so long we are horrified of going back there. It's sort of like having a ticking bomb in front of you and watching the seconds slip away. Red wire, green wire? Which one. Cut one, and the clock goes from 45 seconds to 5 seconds. Cut the other, and the bomb is diffused......or blows right then. Sweaty palms and pits. I need to go relax for a while.

That is a GREAT analogy, and the truth is, that's simply life for both of us. We're in the poorest state in the league. Neither of us are going to catch Alabama anytime soon. For every great season that both Ole Miss and State have, we both realize that it could end at ANY given moment.

Freeze is saying all the right things, and it seems like he can do no wrong right now. But I'm not blind enough to think that he isn't a 9 win season away from getting swooped up by a much bigger program, regardless of whether Ole Miss is his "dream job" or not.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRedRebelBlue, on 02 January 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

That is a GREAT analogy, and the truth is, that's simply life for both of us. We're in the poorest state in the league. Neither of us are going to catch Alabama anytime soon. For every great season that both Ole Miss and State have, we both realize that it could end at ANY given moment.

Freeze is saying all the right things, and it seems like he can do no wrong right now. But I'm not blind enough to think that he isn't a 9 win season away from getting swooped up by a much bigger program, regardless of whether Ole Miss is his "dream job" or not.
Well said. We face the same situation with Mullen that you all did with Cutcliffe. He's decent, but can he take us where we want to go? But, good lord, what if we fire him and then have to endure our own version of Orgeron?

Edited by 1dawgfan09, 02 January 2013 - 11:47 AM.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Y'all are just trying to move up too fast.
You thought everything was fixed and would only improve after that 9-4 season.

BatesvilleBaron

BatesvilleBaron
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 02 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Y'all are just trying to move up too fast.
You thought everything was fixed and would only improve after that 9-4 season.

You cannot make these clowns objective.  You understand program building, you also know where MSU stands.  The Maroon goggles here won't succum to logic and reason.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBatesvilleBaron, on 02 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

You cannot make these clowns objective.  You understand program building, you also know where MSU stands.  The Maroon goggles here won't succum to logic and reason.

UF wasn't even respectable until the 60s, and then didn't even win a conference championship until 1984.
I think we had a string of 4 hall of fame coaches, the worst NCAA penalties ever besides SMU, massive facility upgrades, an 0-10 season, and it still took 30 years to win the SEC.

Edited by JoeGator, 02 January 2013 - 11:59 AM.

RedRebelBlue

RedRebelBlue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 02 January 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Well said. We face the same situation with Mullen that you all did with Cutcliffe. He's decent, but can he take us where we want to go? But, good lord, what if we fire him and then have to endure our own version of Orgeron?

That's the perfect example. No one will ever convince me that firing Cutcliffe when we did was anything but a mistake.

Stay the course with Mullen, and that's me taking off my Rebel-colored glasses. Don't buy into the message board hype of "FIRE HIM NOW!!"

Now if the bottom COMPLETELY drops out in 2013, and you win 1-3 games, then you probably have to make a move. But I don't think a 5 or 6 win season should get him fired.

RedRebelBlue

RedRebelBlue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 02 January 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

UF wasn't even respectable until the 60s, and then didn't even win a conference championship until 1984.
I think we had a string of 4 hall of fame coaches, the worst NCAA penalties ever besides SMU, massive facility upgrades, an 0-10 season, and it still took 30 years to win the SEC.

As much as I agree with your point, today is a completely different era. No fanbase of a big league program can tolerate that kind of futility anymore.

Everything in life is "What have you done for me TODAY?"

bluelightstar

bluelightstar

State Alum, UA Law Student

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Everybody's talking like our main problem is that we had an 8-win season. Nobody's saying, "How dare Mullen only win 8 games? Fire him now!"

The reason fans are pissed off is, "How dare you lose by 31, 25, 20, 17, and 14!? It's Year 4, and you can't even keep half of your conference games within 10 points!?" Ole Miss has less depth than we do, Northwestern has less talent.  It's absurd that we should be content to beat SEC teams that went 3-29. We're the only team outside Arkansas that got to play BOTH teams that went 0-8 in SEC play, and both of those games were closer than they should've been.  The only teams we beat that won an SEC game were Arkansas and Tennessee, whose only wins were against the aforementioned 0-8 teams.

This season was a disaster, and history be damned, I'm not going to be content to say, "well aww shucks we won 8 games," when we didn't beat anybody and DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP FOR HALF THE CONFERENCE SEASON.
Posted Image

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 02 January 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

JDawg, you are overreacting right now.
I get it though, it was a season of 8 empty wins.

If you refuse to look at the big picture, you will eventually find your way back to the cellar.

Oh, no doubt I am.  I need a good month to re-focus and re-assess.

But, on the contrary I see the big picture.  I can see where complacency leads.  Is that not big picture enough?

FIRE EVERYONE